19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 7:06 AM by Adam Arrowsmith

How to turn off notifications for "Likes" and "Reply marked as helpful"

gordon_sorensen

We just migrated to the cloud, and are getting some pushback from users who are being buried in all the email.

I have instructed them about how to set their Preferences>Inbox settings to just limit the items they are following, and then checking that stream under Follow>Inbox. Have given them an Outlook rule to apply sends all the "@jiveon.com" email to a separate folder.

But have a couple specific requests: they have no interest in receiving an email notification when someone ‘likes’ their post, or when a ‘reply marked as helpful’ is done. Any of you know where a kill switch is for those? Is there a message template I can disable? Some other adjustment? Even if this affects everybody, I would like to implement it. Thanks.

• Re: How to turn off notifications for "Likes" and "Reply marked as helpful"
          mnevill

I am interested in this as well.  My best guess from past behavior is you can modify the email template for those in the Admin Console.  If you insert a broken token that should stop the email from going out, but I haven't played with it. I wish there was just an on/off switch for each email template.

gordon_sorensen

Hi Matt – I  would think  so, and I asked about that in a case I submitted with Jive support. He didn’t address that aspect of the question, so am going to need to push it harder. This is all I got:

Having dug through the documentation on the community and the help documentation regarding email notifications<http://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/comm_mgr/jive.help.core/#user/EmailorStreamNotifications.html> it would seem that the level of granularity you are looking for, to selectively turn off some email notifications in this manner, is not currently available. The only options available to control which notifications will generate an email are those which are available to each individual user on their preferences page, aside from turning off email notifications entirely within the admin console.

I additionally had a look through our Jive Platform<https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/products/platform> space to see whether the particular email notifications you reference were mentioned, there are a number of ideas along a similar vein but not quite exactly what you are describing above. I would encourage you to visit the Jive Platform<https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/products/platform> space to vote and comment on any ideas which fall in line with your desires and create a new idea if none of these quite fit the bill.

gordon_sorensen

Hey Matt – you may know: since Likes and Helpfuls are generated from content you have noted as following in one of your Inbox settings, do you know if they also come thru if a user chooses the Email Watch stream? Since the EW stream is set based on an earlier version of Receive email notifications, and Likes/Helpfuls didn’t come thru that setting (I don’t believe), maybe they don’t come if you select Follow>Email Watches. Problem is, only a very small percent of our users have that stream. Have asked Jive support; still waiting for reply. Thanks.

gordon_sorensen

Matt - just in further follow-up on turning off Likes/Hhelpfuls, I rec'd this from Jive Support:

3. Would like to find a way to turn those Like/Helpful notifications off for good. Can you point me to which message templates control those, and how I might disable those?

I do not think we have settings that would just disable Like/Helpful emails, if you broke a template for instance you would lose all emails generated by that template.

If you have any further idea on this, pls let me know and will test it.

Also, the automatically generated Email Watch streams that were created on our migration by those who had "Receive  Email Notifications" set apparently do not send Likes or Helpfuls. BTW - less than 1% of our members had Receive email Notifications set. So not everyone has an email Watch stream, which means I need to instruct most how to set one up.

mnevill

The only reason we have Structured Outcomes (SO) enabled is because we want the equivalent of what used to be Helpful Answers.  We don't want emails to be triggered for answers being marked Helpful either.  Since we are not really using SO otherwise, I just inserted "${BROKEN-TOKEN}" in that message template (/admin/message-templates.jsp?action=edit&template=watches.email.outcome), which I think should prevent those emails from going out.  I don't think I have seen any emails for things being liked, but maybe I don't have things setup the same.  I would want those to stay in place, but would like to know how to disable them in case it became a problem.  If you figure out anything on that one let me know.

Billy Volpone

Hi Gordon,

Not sure if your users have played with this option, but under their "preferences" section, they should have 2-3 Inbox options actually. This would allow for them to still get email notifications on things like @ mentions or direct shares, etc... while turning off more common messages like general follows and likes and bookmarks. This is a key way to help filter out tons of email and keep most of that in Jive, so only the really important stuff gets through to the email inbox. If they are trying to follow too much in their inbox overall, outside of just their own content creations or places they have participated, I would again recommend the use of custom activity streams and making sure they understand the benefit of those over just the inbox alone. Below is a show of the preference menu I was referring to as well:

inboc preferences.PNG

mnevill

Does the option for "Notifications about things like tasks, connections, and skill endorsements" control likes?

gordon_sorensen

Bill - thanks. Before posting my original question, I had gone around thoroughly on trying to find an answer thru the doc, then thru support. Neither of which was especially insightful (tho support certainly tried! ). Thru all that, I finally began understanding about the 3 Inboxes in the preferences and their use. Why Jive doesn't distinguish these better from a naming perspective I can not understand. But I digress. But in taking up Matt's suggestion wrt the messaging template that sends the likes and helpfuls, I asked support which one is responsible. Front line couldn't tell me, so moved it to back line. And I just heard from one of the back line support engineers that "Likes" shouldn't generate email at all! That would be great, but I am confused a bit too.  So trying to straighten that out.

Your point about the custom stream I have thought about. You will have to see my chalelnge with that as described in this thread: How did you handle switch to 'streams'?. In short, it seems easier to point my members to Preferences>Inbox #1 to On, then Follow>Inbox, than it is to build the custom stream. And I recommend they turn off the other 2 Inboxes. However, building a custom stream named Email Watches and turning that to On, then following that, is probably the best option within the constriants Jive has set up. As noted in this thread, it would all be resolved if Jive would reinstate Receive Email Notifications. I have gotten hammered internally on that ponin with our migration, and had at least one customer go  on a rant about it. Matt has put an Idea in on it -- please vote it up. When we migrated, those who had Receive Email Notifications set were only about 15 of our external members.

But having those already set made it prettyeasy to instruct them on how to then Follow content by checking that option. Which got me thinking: happen to know of a way from the system side to set up a custom stream that would be named Email Watches? Maybe thru API?

BTW - am I the only annoyed that Connections Stream is checked by default on everything, even if you have your Preferences set to Off for it?

Billy Volpone

Totally understand about the change, but that's definitely something that happens with the iteration of any system. Personally, I always enjoy each time Facebook changes it's layout or design. Many adapt and understand why they chose a new method to streamline this or that... but many inherently dislike change period. Hard to avoid, but better change management overall is key and I'm happy to share any of that feedback. Not so much specific to "what's a new feature" as much as "what's a new work flow".

We are definitely trying to lessen email for users overall, as you can imagine, but plenty still need to leverage it for a majority of their activity consumption. Personally, when we first made the change, I did just what you described above by creating an Email Watch stream and turning emails on for it. Then I just clicked follow on an item and selected that custom stream. However, over time I've moved away from that to get less email and more in app notifications, especially since I am a heavy users of the native iPhone app.

As for the multiple inboxes, the best way to break these down are by:

• "action items" (ie: tasks, endorsements... anything that needs you to take action or approve)
                              • "activity related to you" (ie: @ mentions, shares, direct messages... think of this like when someone on LinkedIn sends you InMail or comments on your post)
                              • "everything else you've followed" (ie: anything that is just general activity you've marked to follow in your inbox and general community updates)

The 3rd one is where most items end up falling into when a user follows many items within their inbox. Best practice wise, I suggest only following must-see items in that inbox and having others role to connections stream or custom streams. This really does come down to preference though. Either way, I hope allowing them to turn off one of those Inbox preference settings can take care of the overwhelming email issue.

gordon_sorensen

Thanks, Bill. Any suggestions or best practices for walking members thru the changes is welcome. I have my first webinar on Thursday morning.

Billy Volpone

Really can't go wrong with simply explaining it in the most straight forward way possible. I think the easiest step to less email is just getting into that preferences menu and saying "off" for the first listing (which is for the "catch all" inbox items).

Focusing on use cases is key here though. The change was implemented to help users get LESS noise, via their emails or otherwise. A single follow button starts to get overwhelming once you follow too many things. The ability to not only put the top, A-1 most important items in your Inbox, but also have the option to create a more filtered stream for browsing and catching up, was key to this concept. The best thing about this ability is that users don't need to leverage it at all if they don't want. Some people are more organized than others. If the main follow and inbox streams are enough, great... if you need more structure, great! The system is attempting to flex to fit your content tracking needs.

gordon_sorensen

I am going to encourage our members to leave Inbox 1 on. Otherwise, if they post a question and someone responds, and Inbox 1 is off, they won’t get an Outlook notification when someone has responded.

mnevill

The problem is it takes education, and if you have a community where a lot of your traffic is for consumption vs collaboration the users are going to be turned off by anything that is not self explanatory.  In my experience with external support communities specifically, only your superusers and very active users are going to take the time and effort to learn how to use the more advanced features of the platform.  Although they are critical to the success of a thriving community, these users are microscopic in terms of overall traffic.  It is a balancing act and even though the superusers do appreciate some of these features you can't ignore the majority.  That is where features like "Receive email notifications" was great.  It didn't take any training or hoping around to preferences and made sense to everyone. When this change happened the simplest way to explain how to get emails for activity within a space was Follow > Inbox.  I think this approach was 2 steps backwards, but I'm optimistic it will still work out.  There should be more granular controls though on what triggers an email with the first Inbox option on.  In my opinion everything working the way it did in Jive 5 with the Communications feed was fine, we just need a way to disable the emails triggered by Structured Outcomes.  In our case the issue is specifically for Mark as Helpful.  To stand half way on my soap box, Helpful answers makes no sense being a SO, but one problem is the email chatter it causes when we do our quarterly answer marking efforts.  On that note why would you send an email for a Helpful answer and not a Correct answer?

mnevill

I think having more granular control over the Structured Outcome email template would help.  To my knowledge the way it stands now, you can't disable an email for Marked as Helpful but still allow an email for Marked for Action.  It is an all or nothing deal.  For our use case we don't use any other Structured Outcomes so we could just disable the template altogether with a broken token, but I could see this being a problem for communities that make use of the other Structured Outcomes.  Also, as an FYI to everyone else who is hosted and on 7.0.2, there is a bug (JIVE-42918) where changing email templates does not propagate to all the nodes, so if you change any of them you will likely need Jive Support's help to make them work correctly.

danbruhn

Just wanted to see if anyone ever got a reasonable solution for this?  We've recently upgraded from Jive 6 to 8.  Now that all members can mark responses as "Helpful" we are getting complaints about the number of email notifications it's generating.

Thanks,

Dan

1 person found this helpful
                                          Alex Nassi

I'm having a similar problem as Dan where users are getting inundated with "Helpful" emails.

I have a group mailbox tied to a fake user so that email notifications from a certain space are sent to a large audience of employees. However, I only want the notifications being sent for new posts and replies (not social action). The quantity of "Helpful" emails is making users want to not receive any of the (important) emails.

This is the same process that an individual user would use to trim down the email quantity, but there doesn't seem to be a way to just get new posts and replies without "helpful."

Screenshot of this fake user's preferences for reference:

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 8.42.15 AM.png