14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 5:57 AM by mnevill

Any way to expand Space search to encompass sub-spaces?

gordon_sorensen

When I use the Search widget in a space, it limits its search to only that space. I want to expand the capability to also search that space's sub-spaces, too. That seems to be an obvious limitation of this widget that I think would have been foreseen. After all, you can use Recent Content to display content for that space + its sub-spaces. Has anyone figured out a way to expand the Search widget to encompass the parent space and sub-spaces? thanks.

expand space search.jpg

• Re: Any way to expand Space search to encompass sub-spaces?
          Billy Volpone

Hi Gordon, are you referring to the normal search drop down widget or more specifically the "Ask a question" widget? Happy to ask internally (or depending on which widget, you could post this within the product idea space for a possible evolution)... but I think the reasoning is to help keep search widgets as curated as possible. Most JiveX sites leverage groups over spaces, but even if there are many spaces and sub-spaces attached to them, the widgetized search is normally built to help the user find what they are looking for in the exact place they are at for that moment. The larger enterprise search (main community search) is normally where users default to as well for searching all places to find that key element or person.

Still think it could be a great idea depending on which widget it is... feel free to post here: Jive Platform

Jordan Dayton

Thanks for the thorough response and explanation, Billy. This is a great question from Gordon and I'd like to see this available as well. gordon_sorensen please chime back in if you add this to the Jive Platform idea space!

gordon_sorensen

Thanks, Bill.

“are you referring to the normal search drop down widget” – the Search widget, not the Ask a Question widget. As an aside, we found the Ask widget useful in concept, but not practical. When we did customer testing before the migration, we had the Ask widget in place. But we found everyone typed with their heads down and automatically hit ‘return’ without looking. As a result, they never saw the potential ask questions pop up, and by hitting ‘return’ would immediately post the question instead of selecting a different space. Plus there is further confusion if you use the Ask yet you have the spotlight search in upper right. It is two related, yet very different, use cases. One more thing that a member needs to ingrain in their minds.

“Most JiveX sites leverage groups over spaces” – really? That surprises me. I can see the use for groups, we have a few ourselves. But since JiveX is allegedly for external communities which tend to be larger in scale (or at least that is my bias), and groups tend to be more focused on a specific, group or segment that tends to be smaller, and may be short-lived (tho certainly not always), I would think the comms/space side of the platform would be the primary use case. Do you have evidence on the groups over spaces, or just anecdotal?

In our rollout of cloud, one of the questions/feedback we get most frequently is ‘how can search in a community be expanded to encompass its sub-communities?”

“the widgetized search is normally built to help the user find what they are looking for in the exact place they are at for that moment” – with all due respect, that sounds like positioning a shortcoming as a feature. One message we push on our members is “we have made it easier for you to find the info you are looking for.” The Search widget doesn’t do that by being limited only to the specific space.

I would appreciate if you would ask internally. Is there a way to access the widget functionality and expand it?

Thanks.

Billy Volpone

Love the continued discussion happening below Gordon, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'd encourage you to give the Ask a Question widget another chance however. We often see it as one of the key components to successful deflection. However, even if they still post, it offers an extremely low barrier to entry for people to start a question. Best practice wise, I'd say it's good to look at what exactly you're telling the widget to pull up, and also what you decide to call the widget (ie: changing the name of the action prompt so not as to confuse users).

We can definitely look closer at the search widget and if it looks into sub-spaces in cloud. I would assume it does based on other feedback below, but need to check with our products team to see if that may have changed for any reason.

Kara Francis

I have found the "ask” widget to be a better solution over search as well (ever since you added the ability for it to "search” more than just "questions”).  Users can still ask the question if they don't see anything in the search results.  If it was simply the search option, they'd need to go somewhere else to post their question.  I am basically repeating what Bill has said…  I like that the "ask” widget is a "search and create” feature rather than just one or the other.

mnevill

To my knowledge the Search widget does search subspaces.  At least it does on our version (Jive 7.0.2 hosted).  We have it implemented in our community and I tested to make sure it was working.  Someone set me straight here if I'm missing something.

mnevill

+1 on the Ask a question widget.  It is incredibly useful.  If your users type without looking at the screen and automatically hit enter they are missing out on a lot.  If they do that on the search widget or in the search in the top right they will never see the "spotlight search results", which are different than the "full search results".