17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 5:53 AM by kat_carter

IE 11 crashes after signing in

patrick.faehling

We identified some issues according to the IE11. After signing into the Jive Cloud instance the IE11 crashes. Can anybody help me with that?

• Re: IE 11 crashes after signing in
          patrick.faehling

Has anyone the same problem and can help out here?

jamesdean

Just started having reports today of the same issue with IE11. We're also using Jive Cloud and, like you, the crash is happening immediately after login.

In my initial testing it only appears to be happening on the Welcome page (individual document pages are fine) so I'm now investigating whether one of the widgets we're using is triggering something odd in IE.

jamesdean

Issue is still ongoing.

• We've tried disabling JavaScript in IE to see if that was the cause. The application still crashes.
              • We've tried creating a test space with the same widgets but it's not triggering the same crash in IE.

I'm wondering if it may be content related - although I can't immediately see any content that might be triggering it - or otherwise it must be something specific to the default space overview page.

jamesdean

Patrick,

If it's helps to narrow down what might be the cause, the 5 widgets we use on our Welcome page are as follows:

• Recent Blog Posts (Most recent 10)
                • Featured Content (Most recent with a specific tag)
                • Upcoming Events
                • Recent Content (Filtered to display just Status Updates)
                • Custom HTML (Used to insert links to other parts of the site, includes some inline CSS)

Are any of these common to your site?

jamesdean

Have just resolved this on our site. I saved the Welcome page locally and the same issue was happening so I started removing various sections of the page. Ultimately the problem lay with the Custom HTML widget.

At some point it appears that the Jive rendering engine gets caught in a loop and generates over 100 nested DIV elements around the HTML content. While Google Chrome and Firefox seem happy to handle this, IE doesn't and generates an AppCrash error. Removing and then re-adding the Custom HTML widget using exactly the same HTML code has fixed the problem for us for now, but I'll keep an eye on it in case it happens again.

Patrick, if you're also using this widget I suggest you look at the source code of your page using another browser to see if the same thing is happening.

kat_carter

So glad I came across this. Thanks James. We've just started experiencing the same issue. I've removed a hidden HTML widget from our overview page and it appears to have fixed it now!!!

jamesdean

Very happy to help, Katherine. We've had it happen again since my last post but the same fix worked. Not sure if your custom HTML contained and DIV tags but this last time I've also renamed those so they don't include the word "jive" as I thought that might be causing problems.

kat_carter

Spoke too soon! I've had other reports of this happening for our users even after I've completely removed the HTML widget from our Overview page. Any other solutions or ideas would be welcome! We're actually still on IE10!!

jamesdean

Sorry to hear that, Katherine. Since it's fairly impractical to make changes to a live Jive instance without everyone seeing what you're doing, try a slightly oblique approach.

1. Save the HTML source of our Jive homepage to a local .htm file.
                                  2. Open the page using the offending browser (in your case IE10) to confirm the crash still occurs.
                                  3. Edit the .htm file and remove a section of code, save the file and reload the page in the browser.
                                  4. If it still crashes, restore the file and take out another section.

Hopefully in this way you can isolate what part of the page is actually causing the problem.