43 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 12:56 PM by Keeley Sorokti

Archive 2014 - 16 | Introduce yourself. What brought you to the Learning group?

Keeley Sorokti

Join the new introduction discussion for 2017 and beyond: Introduce Yourself to the Learning and Development Group

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the Learning and Development group! Tell us about yourself and what brought you here.

• Where do you work?
      • What is your role in the organization and in your Jive community?
      • What version of Jive do you use and what type of community?
      • Tell us what brought you to this group. What are your interests?

After you introduce yourself, we'd like to hear how more about your use of Jive for learning. Share your learning use case here: What are learning use cases in your Jive community? What role does or could Jive play in your learning design?

And then you can also share here too: What are your ideas for the Learning group?

• Re: Introduce yourself. What brought you to the Learning group?
          awooler

Hello all!

I work for Hitachi Data Systems based in Santa Clara CA but wok from home in Krefeld, Germany. (with frequent US visits!). My background though isn't hi tech - I spent many years in Financial Services too.

I am responsible for the Technology used in the HDS Academy - predominantly our Saba Learning Management Systems but extended last year to embrace Jive and ll other technologies we use now or will use in the future.

We have both Internal & External communities, both of which are now on Jive 7.

I have been in the learning tech space for 14 yrs or so and it's a fun place to be! Here are some links to my blog posts that will give you an idea of my thoughts in this area:

On making sense of your data: Making sense of your data – the results! | Bring on the Trumpet

Learning Lessons from the world of music: Learning lessons from the world of music | Bring on the Trumpet

KM + eLearning +Web 2.0 = Learning!  Knowledge Management + eLearning + Web 2.0 = Learning | Bring on the Trumpet

LMS future: ILT - October 2014 issue

Enjoy!

Andy

twitter: @awooler

LinkedIn: Andy Wooler MBA (Open) FLPI | LinkedIn

nandres

Hey Keeley and group! I am new to the JIVE world and was in LV for JW14. I am Nathan Andres, Director of L&D and Head of Talent for Lane Crawford based in Hong Kong. We have stores through out greater China... We have had JIVE for a few years now, but it's finally picking up steam (so we are kinda new, actually since people are into it and since we had some turnover)... I am wondering how other organizations have actually built their L&D platforms with JIVE and how they migrate off their old platforms and move to everything on JIVE. Please help! I am a newbie!

mbavestercampbell

Hi everyone!

Pleased to meet you!  I work for Northwestern University as a part-time Graduate Assistant with Keeley Sorokti. In the past, I've worked with several LMS/KMS systems including Desire2Learn, Compass, Blackboard, SharePoint, and, more recently, Canvas. I'm relatively new in the community building space, and have really enjoyed coming out of my lurker shell over the past year working in our version of Jive (The Hive) with Keeley. I'm a sucker for personal development, and love the idea of individuals being informally developed within a knowledge management/community management system like Jive. I'm looking to learn more ways to create community engagement in KM systems, and on top of that, any type of community engagement that furthers personal development (e.g. informally sharing development articles, building and developing networks/relationships, etc.).

Thanks for letting me into your community! I'm so excited to learn from you all!

the_topher

It was great to connect with like minded learning professionals at JiveWorld!  My information is below:

Chris Gilland

Blue Shield of California

We have been using Jive since 2011 - started with 4.5; upgraded to 5, now 6

I have a unique (in my opinion) perspective as I have experience in online education (higher ed) from a student perspective (University of Phoenix Online and Taft Law School - online) and from an internal user perspective.  I try to utilize all knowledge, information, and experience to create the best of both worlds (higher education and corporate training).

Interested to learn with and from all of you!

• Where do you work?
                  • Blue Shield of California
                  • In the organization, I am a Senior Instructional Designer; in our community I am a super user, the one not titled Community Manager.  I have participated in alphas and betas before implementation and I have been officially part of the implementation and training strategy.  I have unofficially served as a community guide, mentor, and helper especially while we had no "official" community manager.  I am the biggest supporter and advocate of our community.
                    • as part of my role as an ISD, I have worked with colleagues to utilize Jive as a tool for use in training strategies.  We developed and implemented the use of Jive as a virtual classroom to facilitate blended and social learning from the start and to build knowledge of the Jive community that could be spread across the organization (from new hire) - with less than stellar support from middle and upper management, we foster the strategy that we will build our own army to move through the ranks of the company with the specific mindset of "hey, what is that you're doing" being the motivation for others (existing, disengaged employees) to get involved.
                  • We have Jive 6 and it is an internal community
                  • I've been following this group for a while, but I don't recall much happening (or being discussed).  Additionally, I may have been shy due to the fact that some discussion centers around higher education.  I am always looking to learn and share whatever information is available to help communities do better, work better.

After you introduce yourself, we'd like to hear how more about your use of Jive for learning. Share your learning use case here: What are learning use cases in your Jive community? What role does or could Jive play in your learning design?

And then you can also share here too: What are your ideas for the Learning group?

Keeley Sorokti

Thanks for the intro Christopher Gilland. I'd be really interested in hearing more about your learning spaces in Jive, especially to understand your content strategy. Are you using Jive in conjunction with an LMS? I know we talked about this briefly at JiveWorld but I can't remember.

Was L&D a driver of the Jive implementation?  Is L&D one of the most active groups?

I'm going to send out some times for an informal virtual meet-up for December or January. Would be fun to have a show and tell of our learning spaces.

benikuhn

Pleased to meet you!  I work for Setesys Produtividade Colaborativa in Brazil

We are Jive's partner , and we're working  hard to open Brazilian Market.

I was Community Manager for GBG Brazil ( Google Business Group) for 3 years.

I work  with Google Education, we make change management with teachers.

I love relationships and help people to improve their knowledge with tecnology

I'd like to learn more with you

Cheers

I'm actually a Jiver. I'm a strategy consultant in Jive's Professional Services team. Learn more about me and feel free to connect -- Shaun Slattery | LinkedIn

I advise our customers on implementation and community management best practices. I use all the Jives! I have a background in online education in higher ed and am interested in traditional L&D work and social learning -- especially as they can be realized in a social business community. Look forward to learning from all of you!

christina_pedulla

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to join this community and look forward to getting to know each of you! I am a member of Northwestern's MSLOC program where I geek out about all things knowledge sharing and social collaboration with the likes of Keeley Sorokti. I joined the program in 2013 as a career shifter having come from a marketing and online advertising background where I seemingly always had my hands in a "pet project" around implementing CRMs, wikis, etc., to drive organizational collaboration activities.

My passion is empowering organizations and individual contributors to harness their collaboration potential and since 2013 I have taken on formal roles deploying enterprise wide collaboration platforms, specifically supporting change management and learning and development activities. I also recently completed my 9 month long thesis research to uncover how organization's can effectively drive individual knowledge sharing behavior within organizational virtual communities.

I'm always interested in learning more about how to successfully drive organization's towards building communities premised in sharing, collaborating and learning and look forward to being a part of this group.

MaggieJ

Hi Everyone!

I am always excited to learn more about community & collaboration

To answer the questions...

• Where do I work?
                            • Insight Advisor Group - small consulting firm
                          • What is my role in the organization and in my Jive community?
                            • I am co-founder and wear all too many hats.
                            • We have been adding community managers to our team due to the ever increasing need, value and uniqueness of this role. 
                            • I have participated in the strategy, design, build and management of in person and online communities. 
                            • Our main client uses Jive as their intranet platform and I have been involved in creating the How To's as well as creating many communities for business units and functions.  The more I learn about Jive, the more I want to learn
                            • We are partners with an overseas company that also leverages Jive as the platform to house content and and serve as a community for customers (leadership teams).
                          • What version of Jive do I use and what type of community?
                            • Jive 5 and Jive 6 - internal & external community
                          • What brought me to this group. What are my interests?
                            • I just recently learned of this group.  I am very interested in learning how others are leveraging Jive to create thriving learning communities - things such as...
                              • Methods to incentivize users to participate in learning communities (even beyond the Badges) - get what they came for AND share
                              • Configure online experiences in a way that helps people embed into workflow more easily
                              • Finding creative ways to use assessments within Jive (i.e. Survey Gizmo)

I work with teams and individuals - am always trying to find more ways to bring their collaboration, interaction, learning and sharing online!

Looking forward to Learning!

jkurutz

Hi all,

I work for Agilent Technologies, a leader in analytical chemistry equipment. We provide equipment, software, and expertise for people who solve the "what's that stuff?" problem - given a bunch of powder/liquid/...stuff, we and our customers should be able to figure out what it is and quantify how much is there... even what shape the molecules adopt.

I set up and ran Agilent's first community, an external-facing but closed one called Spinsights for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and MRI technology, until a couple months ago. Now I'm designing one for the rest of the company, and once we've got it running I'll continue as the Community Manager.

Our first community continues to run on Jive 6, and we're deciding whether to set up our new community with Jive Hosted or Jive Cloud.

Why am I here? Agilent offers a number of training courses, and they're now using an LMS to manage course materials, assignments, and (presumably) grades. My primary interest in this group is to identify how Jive can be interfaced with Blackboard and Black-board-like systems to surface content without actually providing it (without appropriate credentials). I'll post a USE CASE here, per instructions.

Thanks! - Josh

Amy Castillo

Hello All -

I am very excited to meeting up with all of you on Friday  - I am sure we will learn so much from each other.

• Where do you work?
                                • I work in the healthcare industry for a very large Catholic hospital system - Trinity Health. We have 82 hospitals in 21 states (the last time I counted.) We are a very large and very complex organization with over 100,000 employees and about 20,000 independent physicians.
                                • I am a Sr. Instructional Design Consultant - but if they let me pick my own title, I would be "Director of Social Learning Strategy", or something like that . We rolled out Jive as a "pilot" over 2 years ago, and it is still in "pilot" phase. So, I have been using the tool, evangelizing, reverse mentoring with senior leadership to help them realize the value of this tool in our organization. Currently, I am a community manager/architect for a space that we are creating for a Graduate Medical Education Virtual University across our system.
                                • We are on Jive Cloud- version 7 I think. I have multiple communities that I support, but they are all internal.
                                • I built learning communities for leadership programs several years ago at a financial services firm, using SharePoint 2007. When I started at Trinity 5 years ago, my first question to the team was " where is SharePoint?" I had to wait three years and then I got to play with Jive instead. Now - I am converted and I am a huge evangelist of informal and social learning within my team and company using Jive. I  have already built some learning communities for a few programs, but our culture is very old school.  My big project now is creating the architecture for a virtual university for Graduate Medical Education across 31 of our hospitals with residenct programs. It is very exciting - but it is a huge project and I need all the support/brilliant ideas/lessons learned from all of you that I can get.  Oh - we are also looking at SmarterPath too- so anyone that has experience with that - I would love to talk to.

Thanks, Amy

Ted Hopton

Let's see

• I'm the Director of Social Business at McGraw-Hill Education
                                • I'm responsible for our internal Jive community
                                • We upgraded to Jive Cloud last November from Jive 5
                                • From 2008-April 2014 I was the community manager for UBM's internal Jive community
                                • I found this group ages ago when it was pretty dead and followed it. It's great to see it come to life.
                                • My interest is in the single biggest use case I have found for my communities-- it's all about learning in one way or another.

I also am proud to say I know Keeley from the Chicago Jive User Group and have a personal connection to the Northwestern MSLOC program (my wife is a student there).

racheld

Hi, I'm Rachel Duran and I am the Enterprise Community Manager for Allegis Global Solutions' internal collaboration community (and did the same for RadioShack last year). We are using Jive 7 on Cloud.

Although my primary role is not in learning design, I develop training modules and present training for my communities regularly. I have a keen interest in learning design and want to support my community through excellent training and development strategies for all levels of community members.

This group was a great add to the Jive Community. Good job!

heatherbombard

Hi!  I'm part of the Learning and Development team at my company and we are creating our own Jive page in our company's Jive Community to promote our trainings and keep the company apprised of what we're doing.  I have no idea what we're going to do, but I need to create it fast.  Would this be the place for me?  Thank you, Heather

michaelmdm

Hi Keeley

I am Michael Moran. I am CEO of a career and talent management consultancy called 10Eighty in the UK.

We use the jive platform to share learnings as part of Leadership and Management Developement programmes. In effect we use Jive as a virtual classroom. We use Jive to deliver course materials, diagnostics and to allow participants to access course materials. It provides a vehicle for the CEO to communicate and get feedback from his/her leadership population. Participants can access 24/7 via smartphone and tablet.  We currently deliver these programmes in the UK and UAE.  We use Jive version 7. We use Jive use within our business to share knowledge as well as for our personal development.

I am very keen to understand how other organisations use Jive to facilitate learning.

seth_canvas

Hi All! I'm in charge of the Community, Documentation, and Support teams at Instructure (we make the Canvas Learning Management System). We're implementing JiveX as our community platform in mid-April. I hadn't thought about how educational institutions (including some that use Canvas) might be using Jive until an interesting phone call with Keeley this morning. I'm excited to learn more about the intersection of community-land and education. I promise not to be sales-y at all: we haven't got an integration between Canvas and Jive currently, after all. I'm just interested in learning more about what people might want to see in the way of integration between community platforms (Jive specifically) and any learning management system. :-)

tomcrane

Greetings from D.C.!

I was just chatting with Keeley about the work I am doing in the government education field and she mentioned this group--it seems right up my alley!  My day-to-day life consists of helping/prodding government to adapt to social and innovative learning practices. ...the same-old, same-old just isn't cutting it.

-Tom

tcrane@ghinternational.com

ErinLouise
                                            • Where do you work?
                                              • Director | Creative & Community Design - I originally helped build our site as the Community Manager. I now oversee our In House Creative Agency as well as our Community & Social Team. astulb & Daniel Marotta
                                                • Goals: Creating a Global Network - Online but not Alone
                                                  • Even though we are an online school "community" to us is online and in person. Our goal is to create a worldwide community of Penn Foster students, parents, faculty, staff, and partners. We host online and on person meetups, travel to celebrate our partner's and student's success in the US, and participate in local volunteer activities to give back to our local community in Scranton, PA.
                                                • Goals: Reducing Support Costs by utilizing self service
                                                  • With 100K active students service is one of our biggest costs. We use our Jive community to host F.A.Q. & Help Documentation, Student support service and as a platform to enable self service where students help other students with their questions.
                                                • Goals: Social Learning
                                                  • We offer asynchronous enrollment meaning students enroll any day of the year with no set enrollment dates or schedules. This means there are no classrooms or classmate lists. The community allows students to connect with others in their same program and quiz each other, ask questions, form study groups, collaborate on projects etc...
                                              • We are on Jive 6.04
                                              • External
                                              • I met Keeley as a new Jive user and we had some great chats with other EDU Jive Clients!
                                              • I'm very interested in education technology, user experience design & social media & I love to discuss these topics with others.
                                              • I love connecting with & helping our students & staff. There are so many opportunities to learn from this group and pass that knowledge on to them
                                              • I'd like to implement Learning & Development Spaces for our Education and Service Team using private spaces on our Student Community

Re: Canvas - We do not use Canvas but are on the hunt for a new LMS. Canvas is an awesome tool but I believe is too costly for us with our large student body. We currently use a proprietary LMS. I am not in charge of the LMS project but am happy to connect anyone with our Digital Learning Director.

hillary_boucher

Hello,

Keeley mentioned this group over at TheCR Network being that I am a semi-new Jive community member I thought it would be a great place to jump in.

• Where do you work?
                                                • I work at The Community Roundtable. We partner with Jive and provide strategic, tactical and professional development programming for community leaders through online training, a membership based peer to peer network, and advisory services for organizations in all stages of their online community and social business development. We also publish research to inform and educate on trends in community management and social business. You may be familiar with our Community Manager Salary Survey or our annual State of Community Management research.
                                              • What is your role in the organization?
                                                • I am actually the community manager of our peer network.
                                              • What type of community?
                                                • Community of practice.
                                                • I'm working with Keeley over at TheCR Network and we've had a number of conversations on how much community practitioners can learn from the l&d space and vice versa. I'm here to learn and apply to my own community work. The community I manage is very much a learning community and I run the programming for members so I think there is a lot here for me to learn from.
                                                  Keeley Sorokti

Hillary Boucher - It's been a blast working with you over in The Community Roundtable in the new Learning & Change Working Group. Glad to see you here too. One of the things that I think you do so well in the Community Roundtable community is facilitate a weekly Working Out Loud discussion. You remove the barriers to sharing by not having people create their own blogs but just replying to a weekly WOL discussion. I like the prompt for each of us who are sharing what we are working on to ask the community for help with something we are working on. I've been thinking about how to apply some version of this to our Jive community so that students, faculty and alums in our program might share what they are working on and learning in a particular week.

pjfulwider

Hi all,

I work for Trane, the Commercial HVAC organization, in the College of Building Automation. We are part of the Customer Service group, which is currently migrating all knowledge management and other support 'stuff' into JIVE. Our training group will be allocated a place in that structure, although I don't know any details.

I came to this group after wandering around in this overall community looking for answers to questions I have about how to leverage JIVE as a learning tool, and whether it may be the right place to move our document repository (a move is looming over our heads).

I'm thinking we may be able to move to a more 'bite-sized' training strategy, and perhaps get a degree of freedom from our enterprise LMS in the process.

lherd

I stumbled upon this group and am so glad I did! Here is my info:

• Where do you work? I work at UnitedHealth Group in Minnesota
                                                    • What is your role in the organization and in your Jive community? I have been in the learning and development field for many years and recently transitioned to a community manager/analyst role.
                                                    • What version of Jive do you use and what type of community? We are on Jive v8 and use Jive-n
                                                    • Tell us what brought you to this group. What are your interests? I am learning all I can about ONE connect (our branded social collaboration tool), in order to support our users and advocate its growing use. I am extremely interested in the working out loud concept and how social collaboration fits in education and learning. Looking forward to learning and connecting!
                                                      kerith

Hello all,

My name is Keri Asma, and I work at the University of Chicago. I'm the community manager for an alumni learning platform (housed on Jive 8). It's an internal community designed to provide opportunities for UChicago alumni to continue their learning through exclusive online classes, engagement with faculty, and structured (and unstructured) discussions.

It's a relatively young community (it started in January) still in beta mode; I'm hoping to learn more about similar use cases of Jive in higher education!

Best,

Keri

alangay

Hello everyone,

• Where do you work?
                                                          • My name is Alan Gay, and I am the Learning Experience Designer for an online Masters program at Westminster Theological Seminary in north Philadelphia.
                                                          • My role is instructional design, including building the online community for our global student body using Jive.
                                                          • We are in the process of setting up Jive X in the cloud.
                                                          • Trying to pick up best practices for using Jive X as a community tool–and an actual educational tool for faculty engagement–for our global student body.
                                                          Dennis Pearce

I saw this thread and realized I had never introduced myself, so:

• Dennis Pearce, Enterprise Knowledge Architect for Lexmark, a global printer manufacturer and software company. 
                                                          • I'm the community manager for our employee Jive instance and also do other KM-related work, having previously worked with tools such as eRoom and Documentum.
                                                          • We have an internal community and are a Jive cloud customer.  We've had Jive since 2012 and the cloud version since February 2015.
                                                          • I have a strong interest in organizational learning and have researched approaches to capturing "lessons learned."  Things that learn (adults & children, animals, machines) do it in different ways, but one thing they have in common is a network of connections (brains, neural networks, etc.) that drives and retains the learning.  So it makes sense to me that for an organization to learn, that learning would also have to be embedded in a network.  So I'm very interested in how ESNs, working out loud, etc. can be applied in ways that make whole organizations smarter, not just the individuals working in them.
                                                          • Re: Archive 2014 - 16 | Introduce yourself. What brought you to the Learning group?
                                                            Keeley Sorokti

Going into JiveWorld17, we anticipate a lot of activity in our Learning and Development group, so are starting a new introduction discussion. I'm sure that much has changed since you introduced yourself the first time so feel free to reply to the new one: Introduce Yourself to the Learning and Development Group