10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 8:06 AM by karenp

Technical Support Communities

karenp

Hello everyone

We use our external community for technical support discussions.  We are a small team of 3 but with only one developer who works on the community plus works on other support-related development projects.  Then there's me who looks after knowledge sharing as a whole (in terms of coaching for knowledge centered support as well as community admin, some design, customer liaison, reporting, and roadmap for our sites).  I wondered if there were any other technical support community managers who are of a similar-ish size and would be willing to share ideas?

Thanks

Karen

• Re: Technical Support Communities
          gordon_sorensen

i would love to. I am at Mentor Grapphics, and community manager is one of many hats I wear. I could probably justify it as being a full time gig, but no option to do that at the moment. we are in the cloud, i work with one web dev who is the tech side, I am the biz side and work with the product groups who choose to have a presence. I am especially interested in harvesting knowleedge, trying to bridge the gap between our support website and our communities (w/out giving away our support IP to members without an active support contract)...the list goes on.

I see you are across the pond. I am on the west coast of US, but frequedntly find myself up early talking to colleagues in our Newbury office.

1 person found this helpful
              karenp

Thanks Gordon for your reply, your post sounds scarily like I could've written it   Our head office is actually based in Utah so I often work some late hours in the UK.  I am sure we can sort something out timezone-wise!  Have contacted you via linkedin and look forward to discussing further.

ycheong

Hi Karen -- the Search widget is key (or if you are on 7, the Ask a Question widget). With a small team, you want the user to be as self-sufficient as possible.

As a rule, I try to keep my responses as brief as possible and I direct the user to the help documentation we have posted. Again, with a small team, you're not going to have the time to go into detail with each user!

1 person found this helpful
                jbenbennett

I am not 'Tech Support', but am a customer/user and Community Ambassador on Republic Wireless.  There is a very active group of users providing other users help.  I will send this link to the RW Staff person that runs the Jive instance (she's just back from Vegas)