5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 12:57 PM by nilsheuer

What Application server environment is best for high availability.

johansene

I want to setup a High availability load balanced application/add-on environment on-prem to connect to our Jive hosted environment. Our developers are familiar with Node-JS, Java, .Net. We have easy access to MSSQL and OracleSQL Databases. So my question is... What would you recommend?

• Re: What Application server environment is best for high availability.
          whoiskevin

Your not likely to get a good answer.  I'd say there is no such thing as best.

Choose what is best known and supported by your existing infrastructure team and that will be the best for your install.

Oh and MSSQL is way better than Oracle  :-p   

Ryan Rutan

I'd have to agree with Kevin on this one.  I would probably say stick with what you, your team and company know and can support well at scale.  If you find that you are hitting limits and issues supporting it, then I would recommend augmenting expertise in your team to cater to this new demand, but again ... usually this means adding additional technology/layers to the overall landscape ... rather than boil the sea.  High availability has more to do with application design ... since most solutions out there these days support an HA configuration.

I personally am a fan of front loading network level HA solutions ... as those tend to be the fastest (IMO), which leaves the doors wide open for how you implement the actual services. 

Hope that helps, but in the end .. the familiar the technology is to your team ... the better it will perform at scale. =)

it2000

There's nothing worse than systems without good internal and external support. As long as all middleware is supported equally by your team you have the choice. Likely there are soft factors like APM, remote debugging / existing profilers, deployments or system uptime which help you to choose the right environment.