9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 9:18 AM by clairetaz

Jive for Office with the Mac?

clairetaz

I can't remember... does Jive for Office connector work with the Mac in V7? I was using a Dell when I last used it. Also, can we use it here in the JC?

• Re: Jive for Office with the Mac?
          Megan Truett

Also, can we use it here in the JC?

Are you asking if you can connect to the JC with the Office Connector? If so - yes!

tyler.whitesides

Hi Claire,

Unfortunately Jive for Office doesn't exist on Mac at this point.  This is due to the lack of APIs and integration abilities available in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.  If their next version of Office for Mac includes APIs that would allow us to create this, we definitely would.  Many people within Jive use Macs and would really love to be able to do this.  We have created some functionality to try to bridge the gap, like the Jive Anywhere cartridge for Outlook Web Access that provides some Jive for Outlook-ish functionality like being able to convert an email into a Jive discussion.

1 person found this helpful
                clairetaz

Tyler, thank you very much for the explanation. This serves as a good update to Mac OS X support for the office & outlook plugin.  Is the Jive Anywhere cartridge for Outlook Web Access generally available and if so where is the download please?

As community managers it is not an easy decision to opt to switch to Mac (although I personally prefer it), because we have to be able to train our users on all features. I was an avid user of the Jive for Office when I had a Dell but it is hard to evangelize in companies nowadays as they move over to Macs and only half of them can use it. All part of the challenge though!

It would be great if there was a document / table that we could maintain in the JC showing high level which features work/don't work with the Mac. If it exists or if anyone has it, please do share it Thanks all

tyler.whitesides

The JiveAnywhere cartridges should be available by default in your instance (I think as of Jive 6).  You can check to see which cartridges are available and upload more from Admin Console: System > Settings > Jive Anywhere.  If you go into Outlook Web Access and click JiveAnywhere it should tell you at the top if it is using a cartridge for the current page.

Good idea on the Mac vs PC breakdown.  I'll ping our Docs team and get it added to their wish list.  To note, there is also a third party provided Jive desktop app for Mac OS X.  Its early in maturity, but very promising! Search for "Jive" in the Apple App Store on your computer.

nbussard

I've found the Jive Anywhere cartridge works great and brings a lot of the MS Outlook plug-in functionality to the Mac. The ability to turn entire emails into discussion threads with one click is awesome. You have to use the web version of Outlook, but it's so robust that it's really not a problem.

As an FYI, no company that I know of makes plug-ins for Mac Office or Outlook, due to the same issue that Tyler mentioned. So, while it is a bit painful to tell users that some functionality is not available to them, it may help them to know that this is not a Jive-specific issue.