2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 5:00 PM by babate

What's THE adoption trigger for the healthcare audience?

babate

An adoption trigger is the one thing that makes something pop out at them. AKA the "What's in it for me?"

uber1.jpg

For example, for Uber it was one feature: seeing the car come pick you up.

Even though car services have been proposed and around forever, this simple little feature made it go viral. And it's also why Uber doesnt need to spend a lot on marketing. People are so excited about it, they tell others.

Education, training, communication, and advocate network.... sure these are all tactics to help drive adoption. But what's the ONE THING that will "make it click?"

The ONE THING that makes people say,

"OMG I need that right now, and I'm so excited about it... I want to tell all my colleagues STAT"

In the healthcare world, we've got a tough audience. We're asking for time and attention they don't have. Time they could either be spending with A) patients or B) their family.

So this adoption trigger has got to be good........

Thoughts, ideas, random musings?

• Re: What's THE adoption trigger for the healthcare audience?
          mgroffburling

Hi Bianca - That's a really good question.  I've worked in the healthcare industry cultivating large and small HCP communities - from the large medical association community to the private, disease state focused community.  Not only are these HCP members time impoverished, but being able to connect on the go via mobile becomes even more critical, as many are moving from one location / institution to the other within their practice.   The adoption trigger is a tough one.  However, what I have found is that if you create the mission / objective of the community around "patient focus" or you actually integrate the community within their workflow - this generally helps with adoption and engagement.

For example - I managed a community of Oncologists. We had a group of community leaders helping drive and develop topics, but we struggled with engagement.  The members didn't really want to talk about a paper / abstract unless it was a "late - breaking development" or something controversial.  We started having our community leaders post issues they were having with their patients (no names included, etc).  These were issues our community leaders where dealing with now - they needed help from their community peers on how to take action or get recommendations.  This is when we started seeing adoption and engagement really increase.  The members wanted to actively help their peer members - this goes hand in hand with the mission of an HCP being "patient focused".

Again - great question and I would love to hear what others are doing to turn the dial on adoption with this unique audience!

Thanks -Michelle