7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 6:28 AM by Rachel.Happe

Community Manager salaries

bcarpenter@reliaslearning.com

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of asking for a raise but haven't been able to find much information regarding the Community Manager role salary in our area. I have been looking at this article: http://www.communityroundtable.com/research/community-manager-salary-survey/cmss-2014/  but that is national average. So if you don't mind, could you reply with your salary and how many years you have been at your role? If you're not comfortable showing how much you make, I ask that you at least give a range that it falls in. Thanks!!

• Re: Community Manager salaries
          RobGraves

Hi Brett,

Interesting question.  But, you didn't tell us how much you currently make and how long you have been at your role. 

Rob

Haha fair point Rob!

I've been in the position about a year, and am right around 46k.

RobGraves

Hey Brent,

At first blush, $46k definitely sounds on low side.  However, there are so many factors that go into determining a salary for one of these positions, for example; location, the size of the company, and their marketing budget.

That infographic you linked to provides some good food for thought.  Are you performing the work of a community Manager, Strategist, or Director?  If you are doing the work of a Director, but being paid as a Manager- that's a legitimate issue.  If you currently only have the skill-set of a Manager, learn everything you need to become a Director.

Also, remember- it's our job as a community manager or director to be the internal champion of the community.  You've got to make sure that upper management hears about the great value and benefits of having the community.  Make sure you find all opportunities to show cost savings and the return on the company's investment in you and the community.  Once they realize they can't afford to lose you or the community, a healthy raise will seem like a bargain.  But, you've got to make the case.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

I'm always in the process of promoting our community. It's external with roughly 75k users (and continuing to grow) with the potential to have nearly 2 million. I am the sole person managing and maintaining the community, and my title is technically Community Manager. However, I've also got plenty of ideas to grow and improve the community which could be seen as lying under the Strategist role. I'm gathering all the data I can to make the best case for myself to present in a couple weeks

• Re: Re: Community Manager salaries
                          RobGraves

Sounds good.  You probably already know this, but when you present in a couple weeks, print and bring as much competitive salary information as you can.  I thought this report was interesting.  It says, "The survey average salary for a community manager was $65,778. However, those in medium and large organizations, as well as those with more than 10 years of experience, earned an average salary of around $70K." So, it sounds like there is plenty of room for growth in your salary.

Definitely work on developing the skill-set to be a thought-leader and drive strategy for your community.  Those talents will definitely serve you well regarding salary in the future.

I don't want to monopolize the conversation.  Anyone else with some feedback and/or advice for our man, Brett?

Rachel.Happe

Hi -

Apologies for the late reply here. We did collect geographic data but then struggled with how best to report it because there are many variables that affect salary. Those at big companies tend to make more than those at small and medium-sized companies, those in major metropolitan areas make more than those outside of those areas and those in media/consumer entertainment tend to make less than those in more traditional industries... add to that the salary range for each role (which we did report) is huge. So, lots of moving parts and because the roles are just starting to rationalize, it was unclear if there was any real benefit in picking the salary data apart further as it would suggest a level of accuracy that does not really exist.

There are tools like this salary multiplier by location that can help adjust the averages we reported by your local area and that is probably the best you can do.

Hope that helps.