8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 5:58 PM by Kara Francis

Error when posting content

rach356

I have received complaints from some customers that they are having some issues when attempting to post content in the community. He is using Chrome, latest build, has attempted to clear his cache, refresh the page, etc. I have tried to review the Jive community and I've seen other cases opened regarding this issue, but it doesn't appear to be one root cause. Can someone help? Below is the email I received:

I am getting an error each time I try to post. Here is the error message "Your content could not be saved due to an error. You may have been logged out. If this problem persists please contact your administrator.” I have refreshed the page as well still nogo.

• Re: Error when posting content
          rach356

A little extra information; I asked the member if he received this message all the time or just when creating new content. It appears he can respond to existing threads, but if he attempts to create new content he is met with this error message.

mnevill

I have seen this randomly too first hand, but have not gotten complaints from users.  I know a few times it was when I tried to post before the Governor timeout (Admin Console > Spaces > Settings > Interceptors > Message Governor).  It was strange because I didn't see the configured rejection message for the Governor but instead saw the generic error you posted.  I have also seen the error other times when the Governor shouldn't have been in the mix, but it was so random that I never collected enough information to troubleshoot.

Kara Francis

I have seen this error on several occasions - and a new reason seems to pop up all of the time.  It seems like "being logged off” is usually not the reason (ironically).

I have seen this error when we have had server issues, if the content has invalid information, images, or attachments, if it is a poll trying to be saved somewhere other than the current place (a bug), or even a permissions issue.

Questions that I have to ask people to narrow things down or to give them a workaround include:

1. What steps are you following? (i.e. create menu at the top right or actions menu within a place, etc.)
              2. If you re-create the content with "test” in the subject and body, do you still experience the issue?
              3. Does the issue occur with any content type? (i.e. polls had an issue where if you try to choose another location rather than the place where you reside, it would give you this error)
              4. Can others create content with the same stuff?  With different stuff?
              5. Does the issue occur in any place?

rach356

Thanks Kara Francis! I did ask a few of those questions, but I didn't think of some of the others. I worry that in trying to troubleshoot with paying customers I will "annoy" them so I am very careful when I reach back out for additional feedback, but since he can't seem to create content I'm sure he would be open to helping me out. :-)

Kara Francis

You are right that you don't want to bother customers too much.  One thing that I do for our external environment (I neglected to include this in my original response) is I ask them to send me exactly what they were trying to post (text, images, title, attachments, etc.) so that I can reproduce it in a test area.  This is usually when I discover that it has something to do with what they are trying to post.  A lot of times we ask someone to try again in another place, but if they are using the exact same text, images, etc. they may have the same problem and never really figure out the issue.  I've found that the RTE will allow you to do some things, but once you try to save your post, then you get that error message.

I'll be curious what you find out.  I'd like to add more scenarios to the list.

(another time that we would get this error was if a second group owner tried to approve or reject a request to join a private group after another group owner already had done it.  (it stayed in your Actions queue, so basically it would never go away).  It was a bug in Jive 6.  I'm not on Jive 6 anymore, so I'm not sure if they fixed that or not.)

gordon_sorensen

Kara – I will try to provide more detail a bit later, and I haven’t read your entire post. However, from the bits and pieces I am seeing, it is very similar sounding to a problem we had when we moved to the cloud. It took about 2 weeks to find the 5 minute fix in our case, along with a fair amount of help from Jive. Anyway, the issue turned out that on our single sign on, the attributes we were passing thru for first name and last name were not correct. They had to be labeled a bit differently so the Jive SAML would recognize it. Now that I am officially out of my comfort zone of knowledge (which is pretty darn narrow ☺ ), I will cc my technical compatriot on this and ask him to lend any add’l insight.

Also to keep in mind, Jive told me that error message can me lots of different things. So you still may have a hunt ahead of you.