11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 10:54 PM by urvashi

Customize the default pages in Jivex SBS 8.0.0.0 8c4

urvashi

Hi Team,

I am making a community in Jive 8.0 and currently using the trial version for the same. I am done with customizing home page and it is very nice. Now the problem arises when i customize the default page For Ex. we added a "Recent Content" widget on home page,on clicking the discussion, it takes me to the thread page. Now, I want to change the layout of the page say 3 columns and customize the default options coming on the thread page.

Now my question is, where i am going to add my custom CSS and HTML for the same. Because, it is giving me the "overview" option only for "Home page". I tried adding in Themes > Advanced > Custom Header / Custom Footer , but it is of no use. And not only thread pages, all the default pages of the widgets.

Also i saw the option for custom pages.But i don't want to add the custom pages.The default landing pages are my priority.

Please help me out. As this is getting a mess now,  for me!

Any suggestion will surely be appreciated.

Thanks!

Urvashi

• Re: Customize the default pages in Jivex SBS 8.0.0.0 8c4

Hi Urvashi Sharma - Could you clarify for me exactly what type of page you're looking to customize in Jive? It's not clear to me exactly what you're looking for, so a screenshot could be most helpful here.

...we added a "Recent Content" widget on home page,on clicking the discussion, it takes me to the thread page. Now, I want to change the layout of the page say 3 columns and customize the default options coming on the thread page.

Are you looking to edit the general styling and layout of the Discussion Thread page?  Or are you looking to further refine the layout of the Overview page for a homepage or a place?

urvashi

Hi David Bastedo ,

I have added a "Recent Content" widget on my "Home page", the recent content take me to the page i.e. Thread Page. Here is the attached screenshot for the same:

jive_screenshot.png

Now the problem i am facing is that this is the default layout pattern in Jive 8.0, but i need to customize it as per my need. As you can see this is the "Two Column Layout" pattern.I want to change it in "Three Column Layout" for the pages.

Can you please tell where to add my Custom CSS and HTML for these pages? As there is "Overview" option only for the "Home Page" in Jive 8.0.

I read alot on this, but i haven't got any good result. Is there any way out for what i want for my community in Jive?

Thanks!

Urvashi

Thanks for the screenshot Urvashi - Unfortunately, the layout of the actual discussion thread page cannot be modified for changed in Jive Cloud (Jive 8 8c4). Only the the layouts of the overview and activity pages for various places can be updated in Jive --  Actual content pages like Discussions, Documents, etc cannot be updated.

urvashi

Thanks David Bastedo,

mmmmmmm means full customization is not possible at all. Can you give me on reason for this why it is not possible? I have read that now Jive 8.0 is cloud based, so we need to provide our HTML and CSS to the support, and they update it ..Isn't this true?

Thanks !

Urvashi

Hi Urvashi - Sorry for the confusion around this functionality. I've included a detailed outline below of our different versions of Jive and the reasoning for why theming is limited in Jive Cloud as opposed to Jive Custom (Jive 7).

2 Types of Themes

There are two ways to update the look and feel of a Jive site:

1. Basic Theme Builder
                            1. Docs: http://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/comm_mgr/jive.help.core/#admin/Theming.html
                            2. This is done through the Jive user interface
                          2. Custom Theme Development
                            1. Docs: http://docs.jivesoftware.com/jive/7.0/community_admin/index.jsp?topic=/com.jivesoftware.help.sbs.online/developer/DevelopingThemes.html
                            2. This is done by a developer and not available in Jive Cloud.

The basic theme builder, which is all managed through a GUI in Jive, allows for community managers to change the general color, header images, and basic styling of the Jive site.

An alternative to using the basic theme builder is to develop a custom theme, which requires development resources to build a custom theme file. The theme is comprised of soy, ftl, css, and js files, and allows for a developer to completely customize the the theme of their Jive site. This is not available for Jive Cloud and is only available for Jive Custom.

2 Types of Jive Sites

There are two major types of Jive installations:

• Jive Cloud
                          • Jive Custom

The newest version of Jive Custom at this time is 7.0.3. Jive Cloud sites are upgraded every quarter for all customers at the same time. The current version of the Fall 2014 Cloud Release.

Jive Cloud sites only allow for theme changes through the Basic Theme Builder

Jive Custom sites allow for changes either through the Basic Theme Builder OR through a custom developed theme file

The reason for why Jive Cloud sites do not allow for custom developed themes, and only allow for changes through the basic theme builder, is to ensure that all sites can be upgraded safely and will not break due to custom development that Jive's engineering team cannot account for. Any change made to your theme through the basic theme builder is intended to persistent and function as your site is upgraded every quarter.

On Jive Custom, each custom theme that is developed is built for a specific version of Jive Custom and it must be manually updated by a developer when the site is upgraded to a newer version.

Let me know if you have any questions.