5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 3:26 PM by Kara Francis

Work-around for connecting content between spaces?

cwatsonfelt

Hi there - Has anyone discovered a work-around to connect content across spaces?  We'd like to really control user permissions in our online community but we also want to be able to connect content that lives in one space with other spaces.  I'm stumped - anyone have any ideas?  (thanks in advance!)

• Re: Work-around for connecting content between spaces?
          Kara Francis

Can you share any additional requirements that you might be trying to fulfill?  I can weigh in more once I can better understand your use case or scenario.

One thing that I do often in order to have content show up in various spots is to add widgets that reference other places.  For example, the recent content or recent activity widget can be set to pull in updates from Place B, but show up on the home page of Place A.  At the bottom of most Widget properties, you should see a "place" option.  If you leave it blank, then it will default to the place where the widget resides.  If you input a place, then it will pull in that place's info.  And then be sure to name the widget accordingly "Recent Company News" or whatever it has to do with.  Sorry if you already thought of this, but maybe it will help someone else who is reading this.

cwatsonfelt

Hi Kara - thanks so much for the response! i should have included more details so here they are:  We'd like to primarily use spaces in our external community to be sure we can have a number of different levels of specified user permissioning however, we'd also like to connect content across spaces through the use of Tiles (preferably). For example, we'd like to use the "tagged content" tile on SpaceA that brings in content with tag-X *regardless* of where the tagged content resides.  Same with the Featured Content option - the content from other spaces doesn't appear in the browse function when adding the feature.

Kara Francis

I'll reply more later after I have some time to think, but I wish that the tiles worked like the widgets.  The Featured content "tile" doesn't allow for you to modify the properties, but the featured content "widget" does.  I still haven't fully adopted the tiles framework due to the limitations, so I need to study those more.  I'm anxious for them to release more and improve the ones that exist so far.

cwatsonfelt

Agreed, but the widgets just don't fully function when viewing on the

mobile version of sites.  Turns out the tagging does sort of work (no

customizing as you said). Thanks for your help and your interest!

On Jan 12, 2015 3:45 PM, "Kara Francis" <

Kara Francis

I'm realizing I may be useless to you if you are limited to using tiles. Sorry for my initial response.  Too bad that widgets don't show up on the mobile site.  Most of my suggestions would have come from the widgets.  The tiles are just too limiting by not allowing you to make any choices or even rename the labels (some tiles do not allow you to edit properties at all - the options icon is disabled).  And several of the ones that do allow you to make choices, you have to know ahead of time the content that you want (i.e. key places or content sets). Sorry.

My main issue with the tags tile (or widget) is that you don't see everything - and for the tile, when you click "all content", it actually takes you to that particular place's content page and doesn't automatically filter on the tags that you specified.  Also for the tile, you can't choose what content types show up, just in case that mattered to you.

Is there a way to make RSS feeds work on the activity page?