17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 3:17 PM by Diana_Ingraham

Activity pages & Purposeful places

leeannbird

We're upgrading to Jive 7 (finally!) and we think our users will struggle with a couple of things: activity pages and purposeful places. We’ll provide comms and training for sure, but would appreciate learning how you prepared your communities, how your users did with these features initially, and, if troublesome, how you helped them and how they’re doing now.

Questions that have come up for us so far include:

Activity pages

• Are folks in your community using them? If so, what are the most common ways?
      • The default for new groups is just to show an Activity page. Unless users expand the Advanced Options, they wouldn't know this, and the new group wouldn’t have an Overview page (which they’re used to.) Was this a problem for you?
      • Are your users confused about the difference between Activity & Overview pages?

Purposeful places

• Did you offer all the default templates or remove some? If the later, which?
      • Are your users using them? If so, which are most popular?
      • Noticed that the browse templates option is visible even when you only have an Overview page (via Manage-->Overview page.) You can apply a template and an Activity page is actually created (template doesn't apply to the Overview page.)  Is this type of UX confusing your users?

Thanks for your feedback!

• Re: Activity pages & Purposeful places
          tburak

Hi Lee Ann - a few things to note - we moved to Jive 7 from 5 in the summer -

In general, we have found the new group set up confusing for users, and have had to put more resource on supporting group owners.

- Activity pages haven't gained traction in our community, and people are still reliant on Overview pages

- We made a customisation to our environment, to automatically default to expand 'Advanced' options, and default these to Both, with the Overview page appearing first.

- Yes - people are confused re the Activity and Overview pages

Also- we still continue to use Overview pages for desktop users, however, noticed that this puts mobile users at quite a disadvantage, as none of the Overiew page is visible on the app.

Hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful
            jberzoy@cisco.com

Hi Lee Ann,

most of our users haven't used Jive before, so for them falling to an Activity page wasn't a big deal. We actually feel like we need to better promote custom pages and reach out directly to many group owners suggesting creating a landing page with the structured way of content presentation.

Advanced users did ask us occasionally on how to get to the Overview page and/or figure it out on their own. However, given that widgets are going to be EOLed in Jive 9, we don't recommend to use Overview pages and mostly train users on tiles and custom pages with only few exceptions. We also remind users that Overview pages are not rendered i mobile apps and mobile browsing experience, so if they have users on mobile devices - this needs to be taken into consideration too.

1 person found this helpful
                cwatsonfelt

Hi Julia, I agree - we've been using the Tile pages primarily for use of the site on mobile.  That having been said, our internal instance still has a number of old Overview pages from the early days.  Out of curiosity, could you point me to an announcement or further details on Jive 9?  What's the timeline on release?  I know cloud 8 was basically "just" released but I also know Jive rolls out upgrades relatively frequently - any additional insight? 

Hi Lee Ann, With regards to tile pages - We use them almost exclusively on our internal and external instances now for the sole purpose of ease of mobile use. The primary roadblocks I've come up against are: 1. customizing the headers on some of the tiles (some are totally customizable, it doesn't make sense to me), 2. the lack of a Formatted Text tile (a la the Fomatted Text Widget) for welcome, explanatory, "overview" text, and 3. the strange fact that some types of tiles are offered in some parts of a layout but not all.  At JiveWorld this year, there was a session on purposeful places and using Tile pages as a trick to creating Overview-like pages that are almost indistinguishable from the classic Overview pages - it was helpful for a number of people making the same transition - if you dig through the JiveWorld 14 material, you'll likely find the presentation. Good luck!

leeannbird

Thanks, Julia!

Curious, did you initially launch your community with 7? Or, upgrade from a previous version?

Agree Activity pages are the way to go for mobile -- we haven't been able to crack the mobile nut yet. We are required to use Good as the entry point for mobile access and the integration with Jive is extremely problematic right now.   So for us, it seems we need to prioritize the usability over mobile at the moment.

jberzoy@cisco.com

Hi Lee Ann,

We just launched in September, so yes, we went ahead with Jive 7. Although we are migrating from a different platform and many of our users are experienced collaborators and "intranet builders”. They obviously weren't happy to learn they don't have "Formatted text” tile, and we have to stress why is this a better approach. To tell you frankly, I often see community owners concerned with the design a lot more than content and how relevant it is or how often it is getting updated. Now with easily obtained metrics in Jive it is very clear that fancy design doesn't really impact adoption, yet it takes time to prove the point J

Julia.

akoplen

Hi All,

We are about the upgrade from Jive 6 to the latest cloud version. As I am preparing materials and training for our upgrade, I am also very curious what other community manager's experiences are with Place Templates. As of now, I envision eliminating most of them to reduce user confusion and content overload. But, I am not against keeping some that may be beneficial. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Alexis

jberzoy@cisco.com

I consider templates useless. We kept only 3 of them and I think we should have kept just the default one. Users don't realize the template controls only tiles on Activity page, not Overview or custom pages. They also don't realize a template controls what content types are enabled by default. At the end of the day templates are not very useful, but very confusing.

leeannbird

We upgraded to 7 with just the Team Collaboration template and used it as a way to lightly introduce the Activity page concept.

We also modified a soy file so the default when creating a new group is just the Overview page.  Not viewing that change as permanent necessarily.

I want to assess if/how to deploy more templates, so interested in hearing what others have to say, too.

Kara Francis

We eliminated most of the default templates due to the nature of our business and how we are using Jive.  (but that was more for my benefit, since I am basically the only one who creates groups for people).  We created a few templates in the beginning (one of the companies I work for launched Jive X in Fall 2014), but I am working on some new use cases where templates will become more important and helpful (i.e. learning program cohorts).  But to everyone's point, we still have the overview page issue, so for some use cases we have a place that is a template itself, and we use that to copy the Overview page into new places.  The default overview page layout is generally far from what people want, so we have a few template places that people can copy from.  They can look at them and decide which one they like - and they can do the copy themselves once we create the group for them.

Since we create groups for people, that has eliminated the possibility of confusion during the creation phase.  Then we have instructions for them on how to add tiles or customize the overview page.