9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 8:27 AM by socketz

Putting our customers on the map

thales

As a mapping software company we wanted to find a way to put our customer on a visual map so they could connect to other user in their area. With the help of JCS Consulting we were able to develop the following application. Currently it shows community members, but we are looking to expand it to include advance search, events, and other types of content.

User Comment: "... in case you don't hear it often enough...good work with all this GeoNet stuff. I think the recent updates, especially the icons for quick and easy id of the item really help."

cc:Community Managers - have a Starbucks on Jive!

• Re: Putting our customers on the map
          John.Cloyd@JCSConsulting.com

Thanks Timothy! - this was a very cool application bridging the Jive social tools to the amazing geo-mapping capabilities inherent in ESRI.

adam.mertz

Whoa, that's a super cool integration of your Esri's mapping software!  Thanks for sharing both the screenshot and those well deserved props from the community.  Well deserved!  Digital Starbucks card coming your way Monday.

cflanagan17

Timothy Hales How awesome is this!?! Thank you for sharing.

victoriamasson

Timothy Hales Very interesting ! Mapping customers or partners is even more relevant when we can have data about them too. Could this app be developed for specific company needs ? Or is it only something you internally developped ?

Thanks for sharing anyway !

socketz

Note that there is a much more basic version of this available within Google Analytics.

map.png

1 person found this helpful
                      thales

We have this developed internally, but it could be rolled out to other companies if their was an interest. It uses the Jive API in conjunction with Esri web based mapping software. Right now we have it mainly for community members, but the framework is in place for events and content.

Google analytics gives a pretty good backend view of your visitors; however, we have an open community so the Jive numbers never align with the Google numbers. We use the map more so for the community members themselves to discover each other than for analytics.

socketz

Timothy Hales

I'm very familiar with ESRI, and based on your company's tenure/domain expertise in the mapping space, this could easily be productized/positioned into companies with external communities designed to provide scalable support models to customers all over the world.  Google's tool just scratches the surface and is not really useful for making business decisions about when and where to deploy technical resources; your tool is their tool on steroids.

My only concern here would be Jive's inability to control the registration form input values for things like address, postal code, etc.

Does your software flag entries that do not appear valid (i.e. such as a user that enters "aaaaaaaaaaa" as their street address), then put them in a moderator queue for an Admin to look into?

Megan Truett

thales

Members voluntarily provide location information in custom profile fields:

preferred location.png

This alleviates bogus entries. If there is an address that is not valid, the point just does not show up on the map.

socketz

We actually make this information mandatory as we are also using this data within a closed loop lead management process.

Unfortunately, many users enter the bare min. into the fields in an effort to speed through the registration process.

Since we also require non-free email service email addresses for registration (we have a solid moderation process in place), I can normally trace these back to the company and other fields in the profile to fill in the blanks when needed. If I were to implement your tool, I would want to figure out a way to flag the entries that were not found and drop them into a queue to be revisited by an Admin.

Thanks again for sharing this with the group.