1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 9:34 PM by adam.mertz

Agilent's Spinsights community for NMR scientists

jkurutz

Re: Community Managers - have a Starbucks on Jive!:

Here's a post about our external community, Spinsights, at Agilent Technologies, a global leader in analytical chemistry and life science technology. Spinsights is dedicated to customers of our Nuclear Magnetic Resonance technology - think MRI for molecules and all the tech support and applications questions that such an endeavor might involve. Customers range from grad students to industrial technicians to people who run analytical chemistry labs in academia and industry, to professors who are leaders in various branches of science related to chemistry and biochemistry. The community brings customers and company engineers, application scientists, and other staff together to discuss topics of mutual interest, often focusing on technical troubleshooting or scientific thought leadership.

1) Here's one of my favorite posts. It took a little bit of day-by-day nudging of the participants (mostly scientists and engineers), but after awhile we got both customers and company employees banding together to answer customer questions and using embedded photos for illustration. No one in the following post received anything like "training" to figure out how to operate in this Jive community.

Here we have a snapshot from a discussion where an Ivy League U.S. academic customer posted a question (not shown) about problems with her robotic autosampler. In this screenshot, we see that one of our respected European entrepreneurial customer participants (with a custom avatar and medal indicating his frequent participation in the community) weighed in with the correct answer, which was then followed up with a helpful photo illustration provided by a company engineer in California. The correct answer is basically "you make a manual adjustment of a screw", but the location of that unlabeled screw isn't easily identified in the instrument documentation, so the engineer took the covers off his $300K instrument and snapped a photo with his cell phone and said "it's right THERE". The customer responded with thanks and the politeness characteristic of our community.

Spinsights_snapshot_2015-0120.jpg

2) Unfortunately, I had to leave that particular community manager role due to a company reorganization. While I'm back in the saddle with a different part of the company now, the community did come together to voice their appreciation for my services. Arguably the sentiments expressed here wouldn't have been stated in the normal conduct of business, but they required a departure to surface them. Here are some statements from my community that are congruent with Community Manager Appreciation Day:

Spinsights_kudos1_2015-0120.jpg

Spinsights_kudos2_2015-0120.jpg