6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 8:48 AM by wb9tpg

Have you built any solutions on the jive node sdk?

aron.racho

Hi Developer volk!

The jive node sdk (jivesoftware/jive-sdk · GitHub) has been out in the world for about 2 years now. As the lead dev on it I am interested in finding out if any of you have used this framework -- in production, for testing -- in some capacity. I am aware of some partners and customers that have taken advantage of the framework, but I would like to see what the broader community may be doing (or not doing) with it!

Much appreciated!

Aron

• Re: Have you built any solutions on the jive node sdk?
          wb9tpg

We go live with the SDK after our upgrade to Jive Cloud tonight.

We're using the node SDK for a background process that periodically queries multiple blogs and updates a composite Jive document that is show on our home page with a view document widget.  We used to query the blogs real-time using javascript on page load and it took over 5 seconds for the home page to load.  By doing that work in the background; the page load time is now a couple of seconds. 

I also have a Phonebook app that gets packaged into an addon using SDK.  But the server is not needed by the app.   We'll go live with that sometime after we stabilize after tonights big show.

aron.racho

Good to hear from you Gary.

I also have a Phonebook app that gets packaged into an addon using SDK.

Excellent. Its possible to deploy that Phonebook app entirely within the addon package, making Jive serve it for you.

jive-sdk build --apphosting="jive"

This will create an addon with all your phonebook app assets in it.

We're using the node SDK for a background process that periodically queries multiple blogs and updates a composite Jive document that is show on our home page with a view document widget.  We used to query the blogs real-time using javascript on page load and it took over 5 seconds for the home page to load.  By doing that work in the background; the page load time is now a couple of seconds.

Super good. In the very near future (8c5 cloud release) it will also be possible to use an app within a tile that will live on your tile page -- making it possible to have a widget-like experience that does the query for you on the fly, and entirely avoid having a sdk service -- that is, if the blogs and updates that you are querying are public. We can talk about that design when the next Jive cloud release flies.

wb9tpg

Aron Racho wrote:

In the very near future (8c5 cloud release) it will also be possible to use an app within a tile that will live on your tile page -- making it possible to have a widget-like experience that does the query for you on the fly, and entirely avoid having a sdk service -- that is, if the blogs and updates that you are querying are public. We can talk about that design when the next Jive cloud release flies.

Hi Aron,

I'm listening to the webinar for the Winter Cloud Release as I type.  From what they were talking about it sounds like the new apps tile is more of a replacement for the HTML widget.   Is there something there where it's contain traditional apps as well.

I'd have to think about this some more but my initial take is that this could be a game changer where we write app tiles instead of traditional jive apps.

pawans

Some of our add-ons which are deployed on prod / ready to deploy / in development.

• Move content app mentioned in my blog here --> http://bit.ly/1xGNBUA
                • Webhook based add-on to setup a user's account on creation (to setup stuff like readymade Email watches stream, regional stream, etc...)
                • Webhook based add-on to manage google groups based on create / delete jive group events (critical for our custom streamonce)
                • Custom app to replace default Create Group feature in jive cloud, critical for our custom streamonce
                • Extension to the force add user app by Ryan. We have extended the app to not only add a user as member to a group, but associate the group with an email enabled stream (follow in email) and then add user to google group is email is turned on for that stream.

• Some internal apps requested by various teams. using jive as a platform to deploy and make them accessible to users instead of deploying them separately (though they might have nothing to do with jive or any data from jive)
                • Extension to change group url app from Ryan Rutan to make some changes to connected google group as our google group email id is same as jive group url name.
                • Some others in development / pipeline

BTW when I mention custom streamonce, its the streamonce service we have which syncs content between jive and google, not only the one initially created in google (which is default streamonce), but also the content initially generated from jive. We are using add-ons and custom streamonce app to keep streamonce integration hidden from end user and still give them a smooth streamonce experience.

aron.racho

These are all super good customizations done on the platform.

This one is very interesting to me

• Custom app to replace default Create Group feature in jive cloud, critical for our custom streamonce

I imagine the original create group feature is still active? But in the app injects your own create group?

I am very interested in hearing some of your ideas for new hooks you might appreciate in the core Jive platform (webhooks, UI extension hooks like apps, tiles, etc.) as well as the node sdk!

pawans

Hi Aron,

I will soon post about the new create group app we developed and why we desperately wanted to add our custom group creation.

One feedback to you folks -  is you have done a great job by opening up jive platform through the jive-sdk and releasing / stabilizing more REST apis.

I have been working on developing custom apps for jive for a while now.

Also integrating our jive instance with google, okta and some other internal apps for a while now.

I have an external app which force adds people to a regional jive group when there offices change in a different internal system.

None of the enterprise apps can give all features that satisfy expectations of each and every customer.

Instead opening the platform to developers and allow them to customize stuff in a safer way is a great route for enterprise apps, which I feel is what jive has done more since jive 7 and even Google (as per my experience) has been improving their huge set of apis.

You guys have done a great job here.

As we are moving to cloud soon from hosted jive 7, I hope you guys have more awesome frequent upgrades on cloud.