14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 2:57 PM by Billy Volpone

Mobile Home Page for JiveX

arianac

We just looked up our community on our mobile phones and it's blank. Turns out you need to configure a whole different home page on mobile??? And not all of the widgets and settings are available. Does anyone else have this problem?? If so, have you found any solutions?

• Re: Mobile Home Page for JiveX
          Kara Francis

I have the same complaint.  I am not sure if it is Jive's way to have us use the "Activity" page and tiles instead of overview and widgets.  I don't know if it is related to the responsive web design technology.  I'm not sure of the rationale.  Just throwing out a few possibilities.

But our workaround was to enable both Overview and Activity pages on every single place.  The Overview page is our default view on the web, since the widgets are more flexible for what we need (and we don't like that the activity page forces us to use so much of the page for the recent activity).  And then on the Activity page we tried to choose tiles that we thought would be helpful on the mobile site, not really worrying if people used it on the web (although we probably should worry about it, but low priority at the moment).  We used a View Document tile to try to recreate the formatted text widget that we have on our overview page.

But the recent activity view will show up at the top before any of the tiles ,so users will have to scroll down to see the stuff that we want to make sure that they see.

Unfortunately, there are really not any tiles that are dynamic like we can find with the widgets.  So with the tiles we are having to guess what we think our mobile users would need access to and are having to include links to other places and telling them "click here to see recent updates about XYZ", since the recent activity tile doesn't allow us to specify which places to pull from.

arianac

Hi Kara Francis

Thanks for the reply! I'm curious as to why Jive would want us to use the Activity page instead of the overview page? I just tried changing one of our spaces to an overview + activity page but when I saved it, all our widgets disappeared so I changed it back. I guess I don't really understand how that works. In any case, the root space can't be an activity page, I think, so even if that did help with mobile, it wouldn't work for the main page, which is weird.

Kara Francis

Your widgets shouldn't have disappeared from your overview page, but the activity page was probably blank or had some pre-filled in tiles.  (it sometimes defaults to the activity page, so after enabling it and saving, I'd have to select Overview from the menu)

For the main home page, you have to go into the Admin Console and set up the mobile home page.  Definitely limiting and won't be the same as your web home page.  It lets you load an image and then add key places.

Billy Volpone

Hi Ariana... happy to help or pull in a few resources to help specific to the new mobile themer on JiveX cloud. The key thinking with that update was to take the guess work out of how responsive design worked with end users leveraging their browser to see your site. Widgets aren't as responsive as tiles and so we wanted to offer admins the unique ability to craft the mobile experience on its own. We've actually added a ton of tiles that match nearly all of the current widget functions and with our newest HTML-like tile that's coming out, it will be near parity. With the mobile themer, you can design an experience that mimics what's already on your landing page or feature whatever key content/people/place you deem most important when a user is looking for quick, mobile access. It's a bit more of a strategy conversation than a technology one.

Sounds like there is a separate conversation happening as well around group design and overview pages vs activity streams. With our new "pages" function that might actually help address both. This also comes back to what design or focus you want (ie: flowing stream, custom featured items, rich HTML pulling in varieties of content or updates, etc). Once we know the purpose of the group, we can design the main landing page in a stream or tiles and then add sub-pages for quick navigation to other layouts.

Again, happy to discuss more and help however possible.

Kara Francis

Pages help with the issue with the activity stream being the predominant thing on the page (if that isn't what we want).  And I do like that you can have multiple pages (as opposed to a single overview page).  This will help us be able to design multiple navigations based on our user types without having to create multiple places or without cluttering the overview page.  We have a lot of content that is the same for everyone, but at the same time, we have beginners through experts who need quick access to different things.

I think that once the tile choices catch up to the widget choices, it will be easier for us to fully make this transition.  I do appreciate that tiles work on mobile and take care of the responsive web design.  Since I'm not a developer or web designer, it is nice to eliminate that from my list of things to worry about.

Glad to hear that the html tile is on its way.  When do you anticipate that to be available in the Cloud?

Do you have a list of the other tiles that are coming and when we might be able to expect them?

I do like some of the tiles that don't exist as widgets (i.e. expanded sections, etc.).  I recognize that the tiles piece is new and it takes time to get them all created.  We appreciate the progress that we have seen already.

Jordan Dayton

I think the Mobile home page was a great move for Jive, knowing the widget limitations from the overview page.

Do you know why there is only a "mobile home page" option for the main home page of the entire site, and not a similar customizable option for each space?

Kara Francis

I am guessing that since the main home page only has overview, they had to create something that was supported on mobile.  And then because all of the places (groups/spaces/projects) have the "activity" page, which supports tiles (which is supported on mobile), they probably consider that the "mobile home page" for a given place.  Just my guess.

For me, until tiles can do what widgets can do (i.e. for recent content, for example, to be able to choose a different place than the one where the tile resides), I have enabled the Overview + Activity option on most of my places.  Basically the Overview is for my browser users and the Activity page is for my mobile users.  It's still not ideal, but we are getting closer.   

Kara Francis

Billy Volpone

You mentioned an html tile was coming.  When is that due to come out?  I'm not seeing it in Jive X cloud (originally I thought that it was going to be in the winter 2015 release)

Billy Volpone

Hi Kara... I believe the official "HTML Tile" is coming out in our very next cloud release, but we have already deployed an API Tile that allows you a bit more flexibility to build out, or pull in, whatever you'd like in a responsive tile format (ie: ads, 3rd party feeds/updates, etc). I can try to find out where you can begin playing with that if you'd like, but if you were more leaning towards the straight HTML widget-to-tile mapping, that will be in our spring release.

Billy Volpone

Ok, back with more details ... here is a link to the winter release blog post that details out, among other items, what we're doing with our new "Tile Apps". Sorry for the confusion of calling it an API Tile, but these new tiles that work like apps can actually do quite a bit and this post breaks out some of the options. This can be created and added onto your existing instance by our team or yours. This is different from the HTML Tile because that will simply be a tile ready to go out of the box in our next release similar to the current HTML widget:

Sneak Peek: JiveX Winter 2015 Cloud Release

Hope this post does a bit of a better job clarifying than I did previously.