6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 9:08 AM by leeannbird

Descriptions for secret badges?

leeannbird

We'd like to deploy some secret badges. What's the best description for these missions? Should we NOT include what users did exactly in the description, e.g., commented on all 7 posts (vs. just reading them), so others can't game it? Any other advice for secret missions?

Thanks!

• Re: Descriptions for secret badges?
          ntouma

That's the approach we took with our "mystery badge". FWIW, each week we are announcing out a different "clue," and the respective trigger is only added to the mission once we are ready to announce it so there is no way someone can earn the points associated with the trigger until we've given them the clue.

We also kept the badge "hidden until earned," but that is optional

leeannbird

Thanks, Nicole!  Do you add text about the exact trigger to the mission description or requirements after the clue is announced? Could you please give me an example of a clue you announce?

ntouma

We do not. The reason being, I'd like like to give employees the chance to earn points for all the clues through the end of the promotion (we're releasing 1-2 clues/week for a total of 7 clues). The goal, after all, is to get employees interacting with the platform so I'd like to get as much participation as possible.

Solving a respective clue earns them 50 points and solving all of the clues -- ie completing the mission-- earns them 150 extra points. Those who completed the mission by the end date will also be entered to win prizes.

leeannbird

Thanks again! Mechanically, I'm trying to figure out how to design this.  Here's an example.  We have 5 posts we want people to read.  Then, if they also comment on all 5 posts, we want to give them an extra reward. We like the idea of surprising them with this commenting reward and don't want others who haven't commented on all 5 to be able to know how to earn it. (Not sure if that's possible.) So, if you were me, would you:

1. Create two badges, one for reading the 5 posts, and another for commenting? If so, would the commenting badge be hidden until earned? Something else?
                      2. Create just a reading mission and automatically award bonus points on it for commenting?  Not sure if that's possible.
                      3. Or, something else?

ntouma

I'm not sure if it's possible to gamify commenting on a specific post or not.

Either way, I would probably create one badge that requires someone to do all required actions. I would also tease out each action separately --instead of asking them to read all 5 posts, how about asking them to read 1 every week for 5 weeks and rewarding X points each week? This makes the "game" a bit more interesting and creates a lower barrier to entry --- taking the time to find/read 1 post in a certain time period is less overwhelming than having to do all 5 at once.

I would definitely hide the badge until earned and have no description listed so that once it's earned, others won't be able to take the easy route by seeing the various actions needed.

leeannbird

Thanks again for all of your insights, Nicole.  In the end, we created two badges:

1. Visible, multi-requirement badge. Must read all 5 blog posts to earn the badge, but we release them weekly.  Folks % complete when they look at the mission details

2. Secret, multi-requirement.  Must comment on all 5 blog posts to earn the badge.  We haven't advertised this.  We want it to be a surprise.