7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 9:53 AM by mbrybag

Running a local Jive 7 instance in Windows 7

mbrybag

Hi Community

I have been trying to get my local version of Jive 7 running on my Windows 7 machine with no success. I was wondering if anyone was able to get this working and where I may be going wrong.

What seems to be working well is:

Maven installation and repository download

Tomcat installation

My setup information is:

Jive 7.0.1.0

Apache Maven3,2,3

JDK 1.8.0.31

Apache Tomcat 7.0.57

PostGresSql 9.4

My first error seems to be when I try to build my project:

[INFO] Filtering file run-services/serviceconfig/core.json for version 7.0.1.0..

[ERROR] Could not find a version of file run-services/serviceconfig/core.json th

at was meant for version 7.0.1.0

[INFO] Filtering file run-services/main-args.properties for version 7.0.1.0...

[ERROR] Could not find a version of file run-services/main-args.properties that

was meant for version 7.0.1.0

I am also having trouble running the cargo-start command and getting the below errors/warnings

[INFO] Building weboverlay 7.0.1.0-0-SNAPSHOT

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[WARNING] The POM for com.jivesoftware:kahadb:jar:5.3.2-5.0.0.0 is invalid, tran

sitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable debug logging for mor

e details

[INFO] [stalledLocalDeployer] Deploying [C:\Program Files\Apache Software Founda

tion\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target/web

-7.0.1.0-0-SNAPSHOT.war] to [target/tomcat7x/webapps]...

[INFO] [stalledLocalDeployer] The WAR file has its context set to / and will the

refore be deployed as ROOT.war

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Tomcat 7.x starting...

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8787

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 18, 2015 11:45:22 AM org.apache.catalina.st

artup.ClassLoaderFactory validateFile

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] WARNING: Problem with directory [C:\Program Fil

es\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3\bin\kipp

sharelocal\web\Users\mbrybag\apache-tomcat-7.0.57\lib], exists: [false], isDirec

tory: [false], canRead: [false]

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 18, 2015 11:45:22 AM org.apache.catalina.st

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] WARNING: Problem with directory [C:\Program Fil

es\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3\bin\kipp

sharelocal\web\Users\mbrybag\apache-tomcat-7.0.57\lib], exists: [false], isDirec

tory: [false], canRead: [false]

sharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\common\classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [f

alse], canRead: [false]

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 18, 2015 11:45:23 AM org.apache.catalina.st

sharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\shared\classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [f

alse], canRead: [false]

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 18, 2015 11:45:23 AM org.apache.catalina.st

sharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\shared\lib], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false

], canRead: [false]

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.ca

talina.startup.Catalina

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClas

sLoader.java:372)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClas

sLoader.java:361)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.security.AccessController.doPriv

ileged(Native Method)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URL

ClassLoader.java:360)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Class

Loader.java:424)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Class

Loader.java:357)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

.init(Bootstrap.java:235)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer]        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: igno

ring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: igno

ring option PermSize=48m; support was removed in 8.0

[INFO] [yer.DeployerWatchdog] Deployable [http://localhost:8080/cargocpc/index.h

tml] failed to finish deploying within the timeout period [360000]. The Deployab

le state is thus unknown.

[INFO] BUILD FAILURE

[INFO] Total time: 06:43 min

[INFO] Finished at: 2015-02-18T11:51:20-08:00

[INFO] Final Memory: 20M/170M

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.cargo:cargo-maven2-plugin:1.1.4:star

t (default-cli) on project web: Execution default-cli of goal org.codehaus.cargo

:cargo-maven2-plugin:1.1.4:start failed: Failed to start the Tomcat 7.x containe

r. Deployable [http://localhost:8080/cargocpc/index.html] failed to finish deplo

ying within the timeout period [360000]. The Deployable state is thus unknown. -

> [Help 1]

[ERROR]

[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e swit

ch.

[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.

[ERROR]

[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please rea

d the following articles:

[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutio

nException

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

• Re: Running a local Jive 7 instance in Windows 7
          whoiskevin

I’d say your maven settings is not pointing to where tomcat really is located.

You might have to post it here along with other directory information for anyone to know for sure.  (minus passwords of course)

mbrybag

Sure, this is from my settings.xml (in the .m2 folder) file showing the path to my Tomcat server, which is located at that path. Is

Maven settings.PNG

My environment variables are below (M@_Home = C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3:

Env Variables.PNG

Any other information you think would be helpful?

Thanks!

whoiskevin

As I thought you have a path that is not going to work for the tomcat home.  You need the tomcat7.home to point to the location of your tomcat installation.  c:\.....\...\..

mbrybag

Thanks for that Kevin. It makes sense and that cleared the error I was having. I'm still unable to get the app to run successfully. I can issue the cargo-start command that starts Tomcat but all I get when browsing to localhost:8080 is a blank page.

I get the following errors/warnings on initial build:

[INFO] Building weboverlay 7.0.1.0-0-SNAPSHOT

[WARNING] The POM for com.jivesoftware:kahadb:jar:5.3.2-5.0.0.0 is invalid, tran

sitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable debug logging for mor

e details

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-

3.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\run-services>mvn clean install -Djive.setup=false -P ex

ternal

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[WARNING]

[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for

com.jivesoftware.kippfoundation.kippsharelocal:jive-local-services:pom:1

[WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' points at com.jivesoftware.kippfoundation.kippsh

arelocal:kippsharelocal instead of com.jivesoftware.maven:jive-parent-pom, pleas

e verify your project structure @ line 18, column 13

[WARNING]

[WARNING] It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they threaten t

he stability of your build.

[WARNING]

[WARNING] For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support buildin

g such malformed projects.

[WARNING]

[WARNING] The requested profile "external" could not be activated because it doe

s not exist.

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-

3.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\run-services>

I get the following error from running eae-start:

2015-02-23 16:33:30,690 [com.jivesoftware.eae.service.Main.main()] INFO [] org.s

pringframework.remoting.rmi.RmiRegistryFactoryBean - Could not detect RMI regist

ry - creating new one

2015-02-23 16:33:30,783 [pool-110-thread-1] INFO [] com.jivesoftware.eae.service

.dao.core.ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - Empty configuration properties file 'C:\P

rogram Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.

3\bin\kippsharelocal\run-services\serviceconfig\instance_properties.json' found

in ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - return empty properties

2015-02-23 16:33:31,891 [Recommender.Heartbeat] INFO [] com.jivesoftware.eae.ser

vice.dao.core.ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - Empty configuration properties file '

3.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\run-services\serviceconfig\instance_properties.json' fo

und in ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - return empty properties

2015-02-23 16:33:31,969 [com.jivesoftware.eae.service.Main.main()] INFO [] com.j

ivesoftware.eae.service.Main - Starting EAE core server at localhost:7020

2015-02-23 16:33:31,969 [com.jivesoftware.eae.service.Main.main()] INFO [] com.j

ivesoftware.eae.sendreceive.SendReceiveServerImpl - Starting Netty service endpo

int... eae-service:7020 (minWorkerThreads=4, maxWorkerThreads=2048)

2015-02-23 16:33:36,884 [Firehose Migrator] INFO [] com.jivesoftware.eae.service

.dao.core.ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - Empty configuration properties file 'C:\P

rogram Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.

3\bin\kippsharelocal\run-services\serviceconfig\instance_properties.json' found

in ConfigurationPropertiesDAO - return empty properties

and the following when running cargo-start:

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] SEVERE: Error listenerStart

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 23, 2015 4:37:18 PM org.apache.catalina.cor

e.StandardContext startInternal

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] SEVERE: Context [] startup failed due to previo

us errors

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 23, 2015 4:37:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loa

der.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] SEVERE: The web application [] appears to have

started a thread named [com.google.inject.internal.util.$Finalizer] but has fail

ed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 23, 2015 4:37:18 PM org.apache.catalina.sta

rtup.HostConfig deployWAR

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Deployment of web application archive C:\

Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2

.3\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\webapps\ROOT.war has finished in 67,29

2 ms

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 23, 2015 4:37:18 PM org.apache.catalina.sta

rtup.HostConfig deployDirectory

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\Pr

ogram Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3

\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\webapps\host-manager

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Deployment of web application directory C

:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3

.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\webapps\host-manager has finished in

218 ms

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Deploying web application directory C:\Pr

ogram Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3.2.3

\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\webapps\manager

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Deployment of web application directory C

:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.2.3-bin\apache-maven-3

.2.3\bin\kippsharelocal\web\target\tomcat7x\webapps\manager has finished in 141

ms

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] Feb 23, 2015 4:37:18 PM org.apache.coyote.Abstr

actProtocol start

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"

]

rtup.Catalina start

[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Server startup in 69115 ms

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Tomcat 7.x started on port [8080]

[WARNING] The wait parameter is now deprecated, please use cargo:run instead

[WARNING]

[INFO] Press Ctrl-C to stop the container...

Any ideas?

whoiskevin

You still have some kind of path problems going on.

'parent.relativePath' points at com.jivesoftware.kippfoundation.kippsh

arelocal:kippsharelocal instead of com.jivesoftware.maven:jive-parent-pom, pleas

e verify your project structure @ line 18, column 13

The requested profile "external" could not be activated because it doe

s not exist.

None of that makes sense and the profile you are using isn’t found.  Plus it appears your project is actually in the maven folder?  Something is very wrong with the maven setup/settings still.

mbrybag

I did create this project within the maven folder(just because thats where i was at in my command prompt) So i created a new project under my user directory (c:\users\mbrybag\projectname) I am still seeing the same error:

Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for

com.jivesoftware.kippfoundation.dev-kippshare:jive-local-services:pom:1

[WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' points at com.jivesoftware.kippfoundation.dev-ki

ppshare:dev-kippshare instead of com.jivesoftware.maven:jive-parent-pom, please

verify your project structure @ line 18, column 13

I am confused as to where to start debugging this. The error message above seems to point to the pom.xml file in the web directory of my project.

directoryweb.PNG

In this file, parent.relativePath = "../pom.xml"

parent.relativepath.PNG

which points to pom.xml in the root of my project folder

directoryproject.PNG

But from the contents of the error message above , it looks like it should be pointing to "C:\Users\mbrybag\.m2\repository\com\jivesoftware\maven\jive-parent-pom"

directory parent pom.PNG

Im not sure how to fix this as the project structure and pom.xml contents are generated by maven for us. is there a Maven setting that I need to configure that will change my project structure so that the parent.relativePath value will be correct?

mbrybag

Thanks for the help on the Tomcat path issue. My other issue was resolved by using maven 3.2.1 with Java 1.7 instead of what i had which was Maven 3.2.5 with java 1.8.