11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 12:19 PM by bdozier

Reactivating users not persisting

Hello Community Managers - I have an open case with Jive Support regarding some oddities I am seeing in the Admin Console.  It seems that some of my user accounts that have been deactivated (either because they've aged, and been deactivated for non-activity, or because they are no longer with our firm) don't seem to STAY deactivated.  It's the kind of issue that can make you think you are going crazy because you're absolutely certain you addressed deactivating Bob Smith, for example, then somehow Bob's account suddenly shows up as "active" again.  The reverse scenario is also happening. Just yesterday I reactivated an account that had aged, and deactivated automatically. Today the user still reports she cannot access the system. A check shows her account IS DEACTIVATED. Come on man! I just reset this account yesterday!

Wondering if anybody out there has seen such crazy-making behavior.

External Communities

Internal Communities

• Re: Reactivating users not persisting
          pawans

We had one issue when we were using Active Directory to provision users and also to sync profile.

The directory service syncs with AD once a day. And in this process AD ends up sending entire list of users in one shot.

Now in this case Jive considers AD as the federated system.

In our case most of the time AD was not sending all the users.

So sometimes jive used to disable some users as the federated system's data had these users missing in it.

We moved to Okta to provision users which has a better mechanism to provision / deprovision compared to directory service.

Unlike directory service, Okta does not sync the entire user list at once, but rather takes action through jive REST apis only when a user's status is changed.

What system are you using to provisioning users in your Jive instance?

The issue might be a combination of the federated system used and some SAML settings which allow disabled users to activate on login.

1 person found this helpful

Hello

I did some research regarding the accounts behaving badly in our internal community. We have a mix of federated and non-federated

User accounts in this community. I can understand the federated accounts getting reactivated. Not sure I can explain one of the non-federated ones reactivating. But this Information is very helpful! Thank you for commenting!

Sent from my iPhone

lsdean

Becky Dozier RE: The reverse scenario is also happening. Just yesterday I reactivated an account that had aged, and deactivated automatically. Today the user still reports she cannot access the system. A check shows her account IS DEACTIVATED. Come on man! I just reset this account yesterday!

Our solution for this scenario is when we reactivate a deactivated account (always at the request on the user), we reset their password, log in as them, look at our personal profile, log out, and send the user a message with a temporary password and instructions to log on and change their password. We discovered the reactivated account will deactivate sometime just past midnight if the account had not been accessed on the day of reactivation.  So by our logging on, we have reset the account for another year. Not sure if this is universal behavior, but it is what we have found to be the case on out membership-by-invitation only, moderated community.

1 person found this helpful

Excellent actionable feedback! I was just getting to the point of realizing the timing when reactivating an account (if not accessed Day-of  then the account gets deactivated again). Thank you for these tips!

Sent from my iPhone

lsdean

Let me know if this "solution" works for you!

Now, to figure out how to re-engage the deactivated accounts due to inactivity.  Can't send them a direct message. Can't get them an invitation to join a group. Don't relish the idea of reactivating an account just to send them a DM to let them know their account has lapsed due to inactivity.

alistair

We had to do the same kind of thing. We would have someone call the helpdesk saying they couldn't log in, the ticket would come to me, I would activate them but they wouldn't try again until the next day.  In the intervening time, they would be deactivated again.

We would have to reactivate users, then have them log in immediately. If not, they would just be deactivated again later that night.

luanndalton

We have an automated process to disable users.  I've seen some cases where terminated people were still active in Jive but I assumed that there was a gap in that processing on that day.  If this is happening it's not widespread.  Next time we have a case of a terminated person that is active in Jive we will do a closer check to see if we disabled the record.