12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 1:15 PM by davidbrooke

Do you have a user survey you can share?

meghanmehrens

Hi!

We're working on our marketing plan for 2015 and we would like to gain insights from our users about their feelings, perceptions, etc - a bit like a NPS for our internal community - but also a bit deeper.

In 2015 we specifically want to focus on, and market to:

1. Our lapsed users/inactive users (users who do not return to our platform often).  We want to "win them back" and encourage them to return more frequently.
      2. Our non-engaged users (users who come to our community but don't participate or contribute).  We want to encourage them to engage.

But first, we'd like to understand WHY they are inactive and WHY (for those who do login) don't participate or contribute.

We have a lot of data that tells us who these users are and we've organized them into specific segments so we know who to survey - and then who to market to.

But, we need to survey them to understand the WHY so we can craft the right messages in order influence their behavior.

Has anyone done this before and if so, would you mind sharing your survey questions?

Thanks!

Meghan

gialyons Claire Flanagan Deirdre Walsh

• Re: Do you have a user survey you can share?
          cflanagan17

I know Ted Hopton did a great survey over at UBM before he left that asked a wide range of "why don't you use" questions. Ted, would you mind sharing that here?

Also, Meghan Mehrens check out this thread Looking for sample survey we can use to solicit feedback from community members While Jennifer (who worked with me at the time) was actually looking for external questions a few others attached their surveys that might inspire you.

Anyone else have survey samples to share in this area?

Bryce Williams Jamie Pappas Shirlin Hsu

england_k

Following as i'm working on the exact same thing in prep for our move to the Cloud.

Dennis Pearce

The questions below might not be exactly what you are looking for but the structure and approach (which I tweaked from NPS) has worked pretty well for me in the past.  I created this particular survey to measure working out loud with these six questions (three "individual" and three "group" questions):

1. I share my thoughts and ideas on <your Jive instance> with others beyond my immediate co-workers.
              2. I share difficult work-related problems on <your Jive instance> with others beyond my immediate co-workers.
              3. I participate in <your Jive instance> by starting discussions, making comments, creating status updates or blog posts.
              4. When I work on a team, we share the team’s goals in ways that those in other parts of the organization can see.
              5. When I work on a team, we communicate with each other in ways that those in other parts of the organization can see.
              6. When I work on a team, we make our work visible to the larger organization before it is complete.

They are all asked using a 7 point scale with "Never <-> Always" as the endpoints except for Question 3, which uses "To No Extent <-> To a Great Extent."  There is enough statistical analysis behind them from a pilot study so that we can average the first three together to get an individual WOL score and the last three to get a group WOL score.

These specific questions might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've designed other surveys this same way and found the design to be really useful:

1. Create questions that can be responded to on a 7 point scale (5 points doesn't give you much discrimination between answers, but it seems to me that 10 or 11 points like NPS uses is overkill for this sort of thing).
              2. Then to get the "why," if you are using a survey tool that has conditional branching then create open-ended follow-up questions triggered by answers that are at the ends of the spectrum.

The idea behind this comes from NPS, which is that people who respond in the middle of the scale are usually just OK with things and probably don't have much useful to share even though they may be the majority of the responses, so no point in even bothering to ask them for details.  But people who answer at the extremes feel strongly one way or the other and therefore probably have a more useful information to share.

So for example if someone responded to Question 2 above with a 1 or 2, the very next question would be "Why don't you share difficult work-related problems ...?" and if they responded with a 6 or 7 they would get "Why do you share ...?"  I have found from previous surveys I designed in this way that when you follow up the numerical question immediately with a specific open-ended question based on the previous answer, you get a lot more out of the responder than you do when you are just asking people open-ended questions to get them to share their opinions.  The person just clearly indicated a strong opinion about something by picking a number, so now they feel obligated to explain why.

The value of having both kinds of questions in the survey is that you can use the numerical questions to track progress over time if you ask the same survey periodically, and you can use the open ended responses to develop improvement plans.  The really upset people will tell you what to fix and the really happy people will tell you what to keep and expand on.

While developing my WOL survey I came across this piece of another survey that was measuring employee attitude toward sharing company information.  These questions might also be useful depending on what you are trying to do:

attitude.PNG

kosheno.moore

I think survey combined with focused group interviews are very helpful.  We invited up to 12 people (without managers) at a time in a series of virtual conference (5 sessions in a quarter) and asked them questions around what would make them come into the community more. It became very clear that many of the people who attended the focused group sessions weren't even aware that we had administered a community satisfaction survey in the first place.

racheld

I just sent out my first Jive survey, but it is more of a beta test exit survey. I can send you a screenshot if you think you might use one or two?

cflanagan17

Meghan Mehrens Kim England and others . . .

Ok, just compiled a "generic" version for you attached. You don't need to use them all (and some are similar), but I do recommend the NPS question (Would you recommend the community to your friend?) and a few of the value questions (has it saved you time and how much) I suggest.

Hope this helps. I'm about to update my The specified item was not found. space with this survey as well for others.

england_k

Here's our final survey - it goes out the first week of April.