7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 8:54 AM by Alex Nassi

Rules for draft blog URL vs. Published blog URL

eileen4n

Hi.

We are trying to secure a blog URL for a post that is already written and is in draft form, and is scheduled to be released next week. We need the actual URL that will be used when the post is published. That blog post is being referenced in a banner elsewhere and is being set up this week, so I need to know the rules around blog post URLs. This is a personal blog, though I expect our system blog to have the same rules, right?

From my observations.

I drafted a test blog post called "Test", and the URL generated from that blog post is:

https://connect.limelight.com/people/eforan/blog/2015/03/09/test

Then, I change the blog title to "Test Test" and scheduled the post to be published well into the future (1/1/2016).

The new URL is:

https://connect.limelight.com/people/eforan/blog/2016/01/01/test

So, can anyone please confirm that I am correct in the following assumptions:

1. If a title changes within a blog post, the blog URL will NOT change to that new title.

However,

2. If the date of the post changes, in my case from draft to scheduled post, the URL will change to adapt to the new date.

Is this correct? Is this also true for 1) drafts that end up getting published on a different date? 2) system blogs?

Thanks for your help.

Eileen

• Re: Rules for draft blog URL vs. Published blog URL
          eileen4n

Is anyone able to help? Do I have this discussion in the wrong place? Billy Volpone, maybe you can help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Eileen

Libby Taylor

Here's what I know... While a blog is in draft form, the date in the URL will continue to change. One a blog is posted, the URL will not change unless you move it from one space/group to another. As far as I know, the only way to know the URL in advance would be to use the protocol of how the URLs are generated, for example:

HTTP        +      COMMUNITY URL           +        BLOG LOCATION            +        DATE       +         TITLE WITH HYPHENS

"https://" plus "community.jivesoftware.com" plus "/community/jivetalks/blog/" plus "2015/03/01" plus "/title-each-word"

Then you'd just need to be sure to publish on that date with that exact title.

1 person found this helpful
                eileen4n

Thanks, Libby!

Eileen

Alex Nassi

Libby Taylor Do you know how the date in the URL is calculated? Last night, on March 21st, I was working with one of our teams to publish a blog post. The URL during the draft process showed as 2016/03/21 through all draft revisions. Once we published though, at 5:15pm PDT, the URL changed to show 2016/03/22. The URL with the 21st still worked/works, but when you access the post through the community, you are taken to the 22nd URL.

The only explanation I could come up with is that the URL calculates from UTC/GMT and we just barely missed the cutoff of the 21st since it was posted at 5:15pm PDT. Does this sound correct to you?

Also, do you know how long the URL for the 21st will work?

It wasn't a huge deal from a functional standpoint -- the marketing team just had to update the appropriate URLs in their email blast from the 21st to the 22nd -- but I definitely got some unhappy comments from the team working on it and would like to have a proper explanation for them.

Thanks in advance for your help or for anyone else who has some thoughts to share on this.

Libby Taylor

I believe the URL with the 21st only points to a draft version of the blog, which of course you can see because you have access to it. My guess is that someone without that access would not see anything at that URL. We are aware of that on our side as well and I often have to provide people with a fake URL with the date 'dummied up' for when I know it will hit. As far as the exact time UTC/GMT etc, not sure, but I think support would know that if you ask your team.

1 person found this helpful
                          Alex Nassi

Thanks Libby.

The 21st link is still working at this time (I opened it in an Incognito window, so I'm not logged in). I won't rely on that in the future and I'll try to work with our marketing team to better plan these URLs in the future so that I can Dummy them better. This issue came up since the post was supposed to go out at around 9-10 am and went out instead in the early evening. I'll keep an eye on this in the future, but wanted to share the current status in case others run into the same issue.

Thanks!