7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 2:25 PM by eileen4n

Disable or edit tips on digests

eileen4n

Hi:

I'd like to have access to all of the tips that are generated in the digests sent out to our community. Some tips--most tips--are helpful, but some just don't fit with the external community. Example:

Get More from Meetings

Want to get more out of your meetings? Use Limelight Connect to take meeting notes while the meeting is going on. Other people can chime in with their own notes, and you've got a shared record of what happened. Or, post a discussion and mark it as a question and avoid even booking a physical meeting.

You can create tasks for any action items. For recurring meetings you can use a Project to organize all the meeting notes and action item tasks in one place.

Find out more.

Tips that don't apply to our external community only serve to confuse or annoy recipients, so I'd like to be able to do a content scrub on the tips and then edit, delete, or add tips as necessary.

I'm guessing others have wanted to do this as well, and I'm hoping someone can help.

thanks,

Eileen

• Re: Disable or edit tips on digests
          gordon_sorensen

Great question – thanks for raising. I am interested in this as well.

Kara Francis

We have/had the same problem.  So we disabled them.  I first began copying and pasting them into a personal document for future use, as some of them were great.  But I have also written some of my own that are specific to our community.  Then I update our message template footer on a regular basis (i.e. weekly).  It's more maintenance for us, but it is less confusion for our users.  I also occasionally update our message template header with something very short, such as "don't forget to install the Outlook connector".   (anyone with the outlook connector doesn't see the header or the footer).

1 person found this helpful
              eileen4n

Hi Kara. Thanks for the insight. Can you share the specific mechanics of how you did this? I guess I should first make sure we are on the same version of Jive. I'm using JiveX cloud.

How you identified the source file for the tips, how you uploaded your content back into that source file, whether you edited the HTML syntax or straight text, etc.

Thanks,

Eileen

Kara Francis

I did this in the footer (I update the text and html versions - not sure what triggers which one gets used - something I've never been sure about, but haven't asked).  I don't have a Jive developer on staff, so anything we do is basic and through the admin console.  We are on Jive X cloud as well.

I didn't touch the tips code itself.  And I don't recall for the life of me where we went to disable displaying the tips in the emails.  It's been awhile.  Hopefully someone else knows where we can go to do that.  I will try to find it.

I like the idea of being able to edit the source file, though, since I do like the randomization of the tips.  But for now we are manually updating the footer on a regular basis.

1 person found this helpful
                      eileen4n

Thank you, Kara! I thought I had seen an easy way to disable tips but it's eluding me right now. I'll keep looking, and will post the location if I find it. I like the idea of tips, but when they are misleading or just incorrect, it has a negative effect. But I'll keep them enabled for now and will look into the method you described.

Still looking for feedback from others. Anyone else with a similar request or a solution?

Thanks,

Eileen

adriannadinapoli

Eileen and Kara,

I was very happy to find this post and see that there are others trying to do the same!

I was trying to do the same. I wanted to be able to control the source of the tips, however Jive told me that I couldn't manipulate the machine:

"Cloud users are not allowed to use custom themes or upload XML files except for a few items in the built-in theme tool."

It looks like you've figured out a way to manipulate this by turning them off and adding your customized copy to the footer.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

eileen4n

Hi Adrianna.

Sorry for the late reply. I have not implemented anything at this point, since my efforts had to move elsewhere and this fell off of my "urgent" list.

However, I will report back if I've been able to get it to work properly.

Meanwhile, if you find success, please let me know!

Best,

Eileen