10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 9:07 AM by Dennis Pearce

iBeacons

mcollinge

Saw this on the BBC News and thought they'd be really handy at JiveWorld.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31883643

iBeacon Comes to SXSW

Any plans to get a more effective way to 'match make' with JiveWorld participants?

• Re: iBeacons

Thanks – very cool

Hi Matt!

WP_20150305_001.jpg

I got a couple of them for a project. Incredibly fun to work with (in a nerdy way), and there are some really cool integration scenarios even for Jive.

Have a pet project going that I originally wanted to show off for the pi day developer challenge. Ping me if you want to chat.

james.dellow

We've also got an Estimote SDK, but haven't tried integrating directly with Jive just yet but interested to hear what ideas you are playing with.

I've been mostly looking at simple use cases for integrating physical space presence with collaboration tools.

I was also interested to dog food some tools on my phone to understand the impact on the user.

mcollinge

Very cool.. btw nice keyboard too

Crap, I lost my dev credibility with this picture:

To set matters straight, my main keyboards are:

The original version of this: Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate - Mechanical Keyboard

I do have one of these, but everybody screams at me when I use it: Model M keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also installed the Plan9 operating system once, 14 years ago

moby

Nils - you are definitely a keyboard aficionado. there is truly nothing as pleasurable as the glidey clicky of that old Model M.  J

Credz restored! --MOBy

Dennis Pearce
                              Proud to say I was the plastics engineer in charge of molding the keybuttons for that keyboard!
                                    Dennis Pearce

Don't you mean the click beneath your springs? 

These keyboards were made right when IBM PCs were coming onto the market and in the transition from electromechanical keyboards to electronic.  So IBM spent a fortune to have it feel like the Selectric typewriter, which many people were familiar with at the time.  There were even machines in the quality lab that would measure and plot the hysteresis loop of the spring as it buckled and then returned to make sure it had the proper feel.

Dennis Pearce

<reminiscing>

I got hired by IBM in 1983 as they were gearing up for what ended up being a $350 million renovation of the Lexington facility to make it fully automated (and if you know anything about "full" automation, you know that the last 20% costs way more than the first 80%).  We had spring winders and molding machines in one building and a robotic keyboard assembly line in another building with a tunnel connecting them.  Plastic keyboard frames were pulled out of molding machines by robots and loaded onto automatic guided vehicles that took them through the tunnel to robots on the assembly line.  We had pneumatic clear plastic pipes that ran overhead, which sucked the molded keybuttons out of the molding machines and sent them hundreds of yards between buildings where they landed in hoppers next to the assembly line for robots to pick up and assemble.  IBM was also selling robots and factory automation at that time so the idea was that in addition to being a production facility, the Lexington operation would be a giant working demo.

IBM also built a fully automated ProPrinter factory in Charlotte for about $60 million as I recall.  The ProPrinter was an early dot matrix printer that was sold with PCs.  It was famous for having been designed from the bottom up with mostly snap-together parts so that robots could assemble it without having to turn it over.

But within just a few years the Charlotte factory was shut down and all the automation in Lexington was ripped out.  By 1991 our division was spun off and became Lexmark.  IBM learned a little too late that:

1. When you design something for robots to put together, it also makes it really easy for people to put together
                                        2. The downside of full automation becomes evident when demand drops below full capacity.  On a manual line, people can go do something else.  But on an automated line, robots just sit there and depreciate.

</reminiscing>