6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 3:19 PM by shirlin

Un-follow just the blog?

KirstenL

We have a user who is getting great information from a group but the very active blog is not particularly helpful to him, so he'd like to keep following the group but un-follow the blog.  Since the blog has its own follow button, this seems like it should be feasible, but we can't seem to get it to work.

Ideas?  Thoughts? Workarounds?

• Re: Un-follow just the blog?
          shirlin

Hi Kirsten,

If the user is following the Group, although they are not following the blog, they will still get notifications. They need to "hide new activity" from the Inbox for each blog post.

Although wait, is this a system blog or does the blog series live in the group?

Also remember that if they had interacted with the post like comment or like it, they will continue to get notifications until they hit Hide New Activity to the individual post. And the best way to avoid this in their emails is to use the Jive for Outlook plugins so they can hit Stop Future Notifications.

I hope that makes sense.

KirstenL

The blog is part of the group and they want to keep following the group but unfollow the blog.  We often tell users that it's a best practice to use the blog for important news and updates because it does have that separate follow button; this is the first time I've had an interest in the other way around, but I think it's a good question, functionality-wise.

shirlin

Got it. Since following the group will allow them to get all messages from the group including the blog, they will need to click on a small link called Hide New Activity or Hide from Inbox when they see a new post it a comment on a blog post come in to their Jive Inbox from the group. Unfortunately that's the only way.

Another option in future is to create a system blog for these important updates to avoid something like this.

shirlin

In other words they can't prevent the initial notification of a new blog post or a comment on the blog post but they do have control to filter out all subsequent activity after a new post is written.

If it becomes a real burden I recommend custom stream for that one group without having it come in to Jive nor Outlook Inbox. It won't prevent it but may teach them to segment their receipt of communications and they may not be as bothered to see it all at once and then hide activity. They just need to make it a habit to check that stream often.