8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 9:29 AM by tmaurer

Understanding what is meant in Jive by "login"

tmaurer

I say this previous discussion here, Login Records, but it doesn't really address what I'm interested in. At least I don't think so.

sparsan is helping me put together some reports, using data pulled from both the Jive Analytics Database an the full system DB records (so that we can get additional profile information). She was seeing what appeared to be odd data, so she pulled login records for me personally for the calendar year 2014. Here is what they look like:

month_of_yearyearmonth_idactivity_count

So if I am counted as having logged in 120 times in a single month, I'm wondering what counts as a login. Is is each browser I have opened? Each tab within a browser? Do accesses through Jive Anywhere count as separate logins? Access through Jive for Office and/or Jive for Outlook? I'm having a hard time justifying the counts, and it also makes me wonder if login count is even meaningful if you get counted for having Jive for Office attached to Excel, for example, but you haven't actually used it on the date that your "login" was counted.

Does anyone know the answer to what is counted? And has anyone grappled with the question of meaning?

• Re: Understanding what is meant in Jive by "login"
          sparsan

To add to Tracy's question above, the table I am using is jivedw_activity_agg_month. I am querying the value for jivedw_activity_agg_month.activity_count where jivedw_activity_agg_month.activity_type = 160  for the particular user_id.  Per jivedw_activity_meta table -

160 | Log in       | This is fired every time a user logs in. This includes when an account is first created and when a user bridges a piece of content.
              Caton Guilbault

Great question and I would love to here what Jive has to say about this!  Hey Curtis Gross or Libby Taylor can you point the right Jiver at this discussion?

Sangee & Tracy - I see some really high values for some of our super users as well. I went down to the activity_fact table and ran what I call a 'Day in the Life' query where I pull all activities for a user and tried to figure out where all the logins were coming from (I recommend using yourself for testing and limiting the Add-ons you use).

Example: These are 3 logins for my user on 4/1 form one of our instances 2 of them are less than 30min apart...

5377;"Log in";"2015-04-01 14:59:31.318";1

5377;"Log in";"2015-04-01 15:27:13.368";1

5377;"Log in";"2015-04-01 22:24:57.929";1

What I *think* I know is every time a new session is started a new login activity is fired. Sessions can be started in lots of ways just via a browser (incognito tab, new window *sometimes*, etc) and gets even weirder if you have some sort of SSO system involved or a ton of Add-ons in use.

I know that probably doesn't help much but might give you a way to try and zero in on the culprit.

Hi Tracy!  It's been so long since I was in the depths of the analytics database, I don't feel confident answering the question.  As a starting point, I reviewed Definitions of Analytics Events, but Cory wrote that before any of the connectors you mentioned were available - so not super helpful.  I've raised this question internally, so someone should get back to you with a more detailed answer soon.

Thanks!

Hi Tracy, I've gotten an answer here.  A "login" is the activation of a new session.  This will happen under a variety of scenarios including (but not limited to):

1. Logging into the app from a browser
                  2. Launching the Jive mobile app
                  3. Connecting MS Office during configuration of the Jive for Office plugin
                  4. Connecting MS Outlook during configuration of the Jive for Outlook plugin
                  5. Connecting Jive Anywhere during configuration of the plugin

The team also looked at your instance and thought the login activity looked a little fishy.  They offered that you can submit a case and Support will take a look for you.

Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
                      tmaurer

Looking at this again, and so the question was pushed a little further on the J4O items:

• If a user is interacting within J4 Office (i.e. working on or viewing a document), would that count as a login?
                      • If a user is interacting with streams in J4 Outlook, or replying to a thread from within Outlook, would that count as a login?

And then just to be sure on the mobile app question, does it matter which app - Classic or Daily?

David Bastedo - I know Ben is no longer at Jive. Perhaps you can help me get answers here?  Thanks!

tmaurer

I think ultimately what we'd like is a way to unique it per day (i.e. one login per day per user) so that we can then figure out how often people are logging in - every day, once a week, once a month, etc. As it is, there doesn't seem to be a good way to come up with these kinds of stats.

Thanks, Benjamin Walker

Caton Guilbault

Hey Tracy,

We use the query below for unique users preforming activities by day, I hope this helps.

select 
                            jivedw_day.begin_ts,
                            jivedw_activity_fact.user_id,
                            jivedw_activity_meta.activity_name,
                            count(DISTINCT jivedw_activity_fact.user_id) as "count"
                        from jivedw_activity_fact
                        left join jivedw_day on jivedw_day.day_id = jivedw_activity_fact.day_id
                        left join jivedw_activity_meta on jivedw_activity_meta.activity_type =jivedw_activity_fact.activity_type
                        where 
                            jivedw_day.begin_ts >= '04/01/2015' 
                            and jivedw_day.begin_ts <= '04/02/2015'

group by 
                            jivedw_day.begin_ts,
                            jivedw_activity_fact.user_id,
                            jivedw_activity_meta.activity_name

You can remove the DISTINCT to get a true count of activities by user and day if desired.

1 person found this helpful