4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 7:46 AM by lstewhou

Why don't promoted search results showing in Spotlight Search?

Diana_Ingraham

We have both a hosted instance (currently JIve 6.0.3 but we will be upgrading to Jive 8 late summer-ish) and a Cloud instance.  I have tried the promoted content feature on a limited basis in our Cloud instance and am a bit confused on the expected behavior.

I set up four documents to be promoted for the keywords "drive alliance."

Promoted Content Setup.png

This screen shows the differences between the full results and the Spotlight Search results.  Promoted items are not showing in Spotlight results.  Only promoted items 1 and 2 are showing in full results.  Spotlight results are the same items in the same order as they appear in full results under the promoted area.  Did I do something wrong in the setup or is this expected behavior?

Promoted Content Example - preview and full results screen differences.png

• Re: Why don't promoted search results showing in Spotlight Search?

Hi Diana,

Promoted Search is designed to promote only two results at a time. However, I'm not certain as to why the promoted items are not labeled as Promoted in the spotlight. It may be related to having 4 items of content related to the same key words. If you change the keywords for the priority items 3 and 4 to something other than Drive Alliance does the promoted label show up in the spotlight?

Diana_Ingraham

John, sorry to have dropped off on this one.

The "Administering the Community" documentation needs to be updated to reflect this point.  The instructions definitely imply that you can promote more than two items.

I followed your suggested and revised the rules to address only two items for the same keyword. I used Docs 1153 and 1211.

Promoted Search Setup.png

In the Spotlight search, the labeled promoted results display for a bit then disappear.  The first item in the list happens to be the same as the first promoted item.  However the second item is not the second promoted result.  These items are listed in the same order they appear in the list under the promoted items on the full search results page.

Promoted Search SpotlightResults.png

Note that the first item under the promoted results repeats the first promoted item.

Promoted Search Full Results.png

In addition to displaying the promoted results on the Spotlight results, I would not expect the promoted items to repeat in remaining results.  If the promoted items are going to the repeat, then I would expect both of them to repeat.

By the way, just curious as to the thinking behind the decision to promote only two results at a time.

Thanks,

Diana

Hi Diana,

I have looked into this more and it sounds that you are running into the bug JIVE-57351. This bug prevents spotlight search from displaying the promoted results if the keyword(s) have a space in it. The bug should resolved in next months cloud release.

If you would like us to track your instance as one that experienced the bug, feel free to create a support case with this information and our Support Team will attach the bug to the case.

just curious as to the thinking behind the decision to promote only two results at a time.

The idea was to show some promoted results while still allowing room on the page to return the regular search results. It is sort of like Google adwords, where the first couple results are clearly promoted in some way but then it display's the regular search.

Hope this helps.