7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 9:52 PM by kvkvinod

How to integrate Jive with existing Website ?

kvkvinod

Hello,

I want to know the options on how to integrate Jive to an existing website. Basically, I would like to have features like Polls Creation, Comments, Ratings etc added to my website. What are the options that are available with Jive to integrate and use them?

Is there any option to deploy Jive component to my middleware and use it?

• Re: How to integrate Jive with existing Website ?
          Scott A Johnson

Hi Vinod,

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Are you trying to create content (Polls, Comments, Ratings) in Jive using another site as the interface? For example, have a form on www.vinod.com which creates content in community.vinod.com. You can then view the Poll on community.vinod.com.

Or are you trying to add Jive content to your site which would be stored in Jive, but display on your site using an iframe or your own interface?

I think either way, you could utilize the V3 API (Jive REST Rest API v3.10) to create/retrieve the content from your site.

How it is displayed depends on what you're actually looking to get out of it.

Additionally, you could possibly get use out of Cartridges to add Jive comments etc to your own site. Cartridges (Jive Anywhere) - Developer Resources

Scott

kvkvinod

Scott A Johnson

Thanks for the reply. That was helpful.

I'm trying to add Jive content to my site. Basically, I would like details of all the Polls, comments etc to be stored in jive and display them in my site using my own interface.

I tried samples with Rest API and it sounds good. I do have few questions on this thou.

Also, could you shed some more light on how I could use Cartridges?  From what I understood, Jive Anywhere looks like a browser addon to simplify the process.

Thanks !

Scott A Johnson

Yes, it sounds like based on your needs, the REST API should work out. Let me know what questions you have and we can try to answer them.

On Cartridges, yes Jive Anywhere is a browser extension and Cartridges are basically configurations for that, as far as I understand. It sounds like that isn't really inline with your use case.

Thanks,

Scott

vidyam

Are there any reusable UI components / widgets which can be leveraged rather than we building the same using REST?

kvkvinod

Scott A Johnson

Yes, Even we feel Rest API should work for our use-case.

Here are few questions:

• As of now, I see CORS blocked issue in browser when trying REST API. I hope once we buy the license we will have access to server side settings and should not see this issue any more.  [As of now, working in IE for our PoC without any issue.]
                        • How are authentication/authorization handled? I would want the polls to be accessible for any user who visits our website even without logging in. I hope that is supported.
                        • Also, as far as I understand, there are no UI components from Jive that I can directly integrate into my website developing tool.

Sorry, if my questions are little vague. Also, I have requested for a demo from Jive a week back. I haven't received any update on that. Any idea how long it takes generally?

Scott A Johnson

Hi Vidya, Vinod,

As far as Cross Origin issues in browser, I don't recall if there is a server setting fix that Jive supports. It may depend on your hosting model (Cloud, Hosted, On-Prem). Also, per this discussion (REST API - Cross Origin Error) Jive does not support JSONP. You may need to proxy these calls through your server.

Authentication can be handled a couple different ways, Basic Auth, OAuth 2.0, I believe there is a SAML/SSO auth as well.

Authorization is based on Jive's standard permissions scheme, though you can also take advantage of their "run-as" feature as well to impersonate another user when using the API.

Displaying poll and results to an anonymous user would be simple enough, this is possible by Jive's permissions. Voting though usually requires being logged in.

I don't believe Jive provides any sort of externally available UI components for displaying on another site. This may be for the best in your case as you would probably want to display the poll with styling that matches your site's brand/experience. The experience should be fairly simple to duplicate based on the data retrieved from the API.

For more info on the REST APi, this doc is helpful:

REST API & Webhooks - Developer Resources