3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 11:20 PM by jeph.yang

Difference in Android Vs Ios App of Jive

praveenvec

Hi

I am working on exploring the Jive product. There are couple of things i noticed in the product for the mobile apps

• In Android app we are seeing an option of Places where we can navigate to any of the places like Projects, Groups & Spaces. This feature is not there in iOS App
      • In Android App if I am choosing People option then I can see the all people and I can chose to view their profile and follow them. This functionality is also not available in iOS App
      • Third and very important thing i have found missing in iOS is, when I click on my profile and chose the Places tab at the bottom, I expect that it should be showing all the Project, Groups and Spaces I am following but somehow it only shows the group. Any reason why spaces and project are not shown under places?

Are these features missing from Jive IOS app and going to be available soon ?

Can some one answer this question urgently.

• Re: Difference in Android Vs Ios App of Jive

Hi Praveen,

The variance you've mentioned are due to differences in the mobile market and priorities that have evolved over time, as summarized in Jive for Mobile FAQ - Android and iOS update and the comments thread:

When we first came out with our mobile capabilities, now several years ago, the devices of the day did not quite have the same capabilities, power and screen sizes as they do now. We therefore focussed on what, at the time, was the most urgent demand from our customers that wanted to access the platform remotely: that use case was predominantly focussed on passive consumption of the information they already knew about with only a light dusting of content creation thrown in. It also was about as much as the handsets could handle at the time.

Fast forward a few years and look at how consumer mobile apps have exploded as well as the development of the handsets. Certainly in the US, Apple has dominated the enterprise mobile market (although Android is catching up and it's now a more even split) which is why our initial focus was heavier on that side. Hence why in our iOS app, you will find following and @mentioning already. With an increase of Android both in the USA and worldwide, we wanted to offer feature parity between the two dominant platforms yet as time and resources are finite, we focussed on the more pertinent functionality first. If you have used the Android app before (now Mobile Classic), you will see the vast improvement the new release offers. As I said prior, following and @mentioning is the next focus for that platform.

A table listing the general feature differences and comparison is available here:

Jive Mobile Product Comparison Matrix

Unfortunately, I don't have specific timelines for the future feature parity and expected changes at this time.  If you need more specific details or are seeing certain issues related to either version, I would encourage either submitting a support case in your customer group if technical assistance is required, or posting a question to the Jive Mobile for direct comment from our Mobile Team.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang

praveenvec

Hi Jeph,

Well thanks for replying on the question. How ever my concern was to understand why is it that in the I Phones we are not able to see the spaces how ever we can see them (Spaces) on Android devices. The whole point i wanted to make here is to get confirmation that this is the way the IOS app for the iPhones are supposed to work (Not showing the the spaces but the groups) . And this would be (Showing Spaces in I Phones) something coming in future for the iPhones as well.

Hi Praveen,

At this time, the iOS app does not have a "Places" listing as does the Android app, and this is indeed the way it currently works.  For iOS specifically, this was due a decision at the time of the build around a limitation in the API (JIRA bug JIVE-50538).  As a fallback, we are using Search API.  As feature parity is a common request, our Mobile Team has expressed interest in getting this more aligned in the moving forward with the surge and movement towards mobile collaboration.

Since the Search API is utilized, then the best workaround to find a desired space is to search for it, then locate the intended space under "Places" in the search results.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang