21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 6:04 PM by babate

How do you teach people to navigate Jive?

babate

Biggest complaint:

They can log in, but they aren't sure how to navigate overall.

I think the best way to navigate is by typing keywords into the upper right hand search bar, but how do you teach every individual user this?

Who's figured out a brilliant/simple/elegant solution??

User Experience

Theme and UI/X Discussion

Healthcare

• Re: How do you teach people to navigate Jive?
          mcollinge

Count yourself lucky that you can even consider training users We run an externally-facing public community with no chance of training anyone & the UI needs to be as intuitive as possible.

babate

We are lucky, but at the same time- resources are so limited and there are so many busy people in our matrixed organization.... I think internal communities should be treated the same as external communities in the sense that we are all people and we all want things to be intuitive.

There are certain mental models and frameworks that we must fit within in order to drive adoption. Would love if some Jive UX people joined in on this conversation Rian van der Merwe

tburak

Hi Bianca - agree with you, and one of the selling points we made to our business was that Jive didn't need a team of developers like SharePoint did -

So, with no html / developers in house - we need to rely on the native UX, and jive design -

Happy to contribute to any discussion on this

Kind Regards,
                  Tanya

tburak

Hi Bianca, Matt - we have the same issue

Spotlight search - people naturally want to hit 'enter', and are frustrated by the results.

People / Places / Content - we have created an induction presentation to explain the classifications, so people are starting to understand.

Difficulty is - we are battling against people's idea of navigation - people want to see folders, heirarchy, and want their intranet structured the same way as they fit into the business.

Improved group automation would help, which would automatically deliver people a suite of spaces and groups they use most, as well as connect them to the people they interact with most frequently - this would solve the 'intution' problem, in my mind.

Kind Regards,
                Tanya

Hi Bianca Richman, thanks for including me. A couple of clarifying questions:

They can log in, but they aren't sure how to navigate overall.

What are they generally trying to find? Content that they've authored or participated in? Content that others told them about? I'd love to understand the reasons behind the navigation issues — what are they looking for and what are the frustration points in getting there?

Tanya Burak, a follow-up question for you:

Spotlight search - people naturally want to hit 'enter', and are frustrated by the results.

Can you say a bit more about this? When they hit enter, why are they frustrated by the results?

Also, are you willing to share your People/Places/Content document with me? I'd love to share that internally as another data point for the confusion about when to use what.

babate

Hi Rian this is what an end user said: (this is just what one user said, but I hear the general sentiment a lot from end users)

Sure, I signed up because I heard about it at a physician meeting and they used it more than sharepoint.  My first impression was that I was unclear how to navigate.  I was just trying to see if there was groups/communities setup for certain projects.

It's quite rare for website navigation to be based on the upper right hand search bar, unless you are going to Google- and even with Google it's the only call to action on the page so people were forced to do it.   If I click on "Places" then I think that search bar is quite small and "Type to filter by test" doesn't really mean anything to me- so people tend to miss that. We are using the "Places" widget on the homepage.

I wonder if the solution would be to take the search bar which is currently in the upper right hand corner, and display it more predominantly (make it bigger and center it) so it looks like a "Google" type place to input search keywords and navigate.

By the way, I am using the "Places" widget on the homepage & have literally written out on the Overview page using a formatted text widget:

"Navigate the site by typing keywords into upper right search bar "

tburak

Hi Rian -

Regarding Search - I have difficulty explaining to users how the spotlight search - don't hit enter- and how results are generated.

Next, when they hit enter, they are taken to Advanced Search, which is useful.

Then - they have the option to click on Content, People, Places tabs - most do not use these.

Overall, too much choice, and as a community manager, too much to support.

tmaurer

I read what you said and agreed. Was sitting here lamenting that it works this way, and realized that maybe it doesn't need to? Rian van der Merwe - what if hitting the Enter key on the keyboard DIDN'T move people out of the spotlight search? What if there was an Advanced Search link they needed to click to take them there? Or, if it has to open a new window, if the layout replicated spotlight search? I've been using Jive since 2008 and supporting it since 2010, and I STILL sometimes accidentally hit the enter key on my keyboard. It is a REALLY hard habit to break, even though Google works that way, too.

Every Thursday, I do very short one-on-one trainings in an office. I paid close attention yesterday, and people do not understand that the default for advanced search shows content, and people and places are at the side. Or that they can change the view to show them People and Places. I agree that it is very powerful, but it is also a confusing layout for people to grok, and thus a terrible place for them to "accidentally" land.

Hi Tanya Burak Tracy Maurer, thanks - agree with many of your points. I think the issue is not necessarily that hitting Enter takes you to the full search view (as you said, Google works the same way), but that the results on that search page isn't structured in a way that's easy to understand. Perhaps we should thinking about defaulting to all types (as opposed to just Content), and use the filters only if needed (again, similar to Google).

Cc'ing Nick Hill to chime in...

tburak

Hi Rian - while the Enter is a pain, the real issue is that the Advanced spotlight search doesn't look at all like Content / People / Places search - which is confusing for users.

People understand content and people, but I have a hard time communicating what Places are.

There are some who still want to see navigation - and the flat structure of groups is a hard concept, in the corporate environment -

A site map functionality would be a nice to have - and I have looked at PwC's map solution

Also - membership is important - we are working with JCS to automate membership to standard groups for all users - including their office, their division, to get them started.

Looking at 8 to see what the news capability offers

babate

Yes, would LOVE to have your expertise on it

This is our existing site

https://swedishdocspot.org/welcome

the reason I posed this question is because Social Edge Kerry Craig is helping us to re-do our homepage. Our new page is available on our UAT site here https://test.swedishdocspot.org/admin/

I see this new homepage as an opportunity to fix the biggest headache for me as a Community Manager-  which is helping people learn how to navigate the site. Since it's hard for a 2 person team to scale across so many employees, some way to make this clear with a UX or graphic design solution would be extremely helpful.

Thanks Bianca Richman, I now see what you mean! Search should definitely not be the only way to navigate — you should be able to set up your home page to make that easier. I chatted to Marnie Pasciuto-Wood, and I'm going to bring her in to chat a bit more about this.

marnie

Thanks Rian van der Merwe for pulling me into the discussion.   

Bianca Richman, thanks for your insight into what your users are struggling with. What we've found at Jive, is similar to what you (and others) have noted. There are a set of people that want to find what they're looking for purely by searching. No matter how clear your navigation is, they'll always go right to the search field. I do this with large sites like Amazon; I can't be bothered trying to step down through a hierarchy when I know what I'm looking for (or at least the keywords to get me close).

The other set of people are browsers. They want to explore what's there, poking in and out of areas using the site's navigation. That's what People | Places | Content is set up to facilitate. I will fully admit that out of those, "Places" probably makes the least amount of sense to users.  It's Jive-specific terminology, and you have to know that Places really means Groups, Spaces, and Projects. And beyond that, you have to know what those mean. So, no, it's not clear.  In fact, in our internal version of Jive that we use constantly, called Brewspace, we no longer use those categorizations.  Here's what we use:

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.45.11 AM.png

This information architecture makes sense for how Jivers use Jive. Our Community Manager (and our Strategy team) looked at how Jivers were using Brewspace and structured the IA based on the most frequently seen use cases.  With the built in Theming Tool, you can set the navigation how it best makes sense for your users. I'm sure Kerry Craig has tons of experience restructuring IAs to best suit a community's needs.

babate

Hi Marnie,

Actually you misunderstood what I was saying- our users DON'T want to search- they do not go to the right search field, but I am trying to teach them to do that because I have no idea how else to get them to where they need to go.

Based on your example, setting up those categorizations based on frequent use cases makes the most sense. It's just hard to know how to bucket things together in a way that makes sense if your use cases are all over the place (as is the case in healthcare).

Kerry Craig Erin Haines

marnie

Thanks for the clarification. How do you know your users don't want to search?  I wouldn't rule that out as a legitimate way of finding specific info on your site.  However, like I said before, the best method to help your users is to bucket information into logical groupings and use cases, and structure your IA to support that.

babate

It's very easy for you to say to bucket the information into logical grouping and use cases, but we are in healthcare- that is so hard to do because our services are like a small city! we do everything under the sun Bill Klco

babate

OK- Marnie I want to bring this topic back up. In our company, people don't naturally go straight to "search" because the search experience on SharePoint is so bad, they have PTSD and don't try that.

Now that we've upgraded, our top main nav is Home/News/Browse/and Tools ...

Where you say "bucket information into logical groups and use cases" I do have 4 key use cases honed in. For example, one is ideation. Does this mean I need to have a button that says "Ideas" and then once you go into it, should it be the main overarching space dedicated to ideation, and any sub level pages. OK that makes sense,but how do I get users to the place they want to go.  Users only care about the one group they've been tasked to work within.

So, if I'm a physician and I need to find my infectious disease group, it seems to me the fastest way to go there (doctors hate multiple clicks) is to type the name into the upper right hand search. If that's the case, then do I need to have a banner across the overview page that says

"the fasted way to navigate around this site is to type keywords into the upper right hand corner"

I'm just trying to get actioble things I can do to ease the learning curve. Because there is a HUGE learning curve