5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 6:19 AM by kalenk

Jive 8 WYSIWYG Responsive Options

kalenk

How is content handled in the WYSIYG of Jive 8 to be responsive? Will there be responsive boilerplate that works off of classes, or is responsiveness within the WYSIWYG something we will need to implement ourselves through allowance of the <style> tag in TinyMCE valid_elements? As we transition from Jive 7 to Jive 8, we'd like to begin implementing these changes to allow for a smooth transition.

Ryan Rutan

• Re: Jive 8 WYSIWYG Responsive Options
          Ryan Rutan

This is a question that we should raise to product management.  Specifically Curtis Gross or someone who has been a part of the responsive efforts in the product.  Given the nature of responsive, I suspect that the contents containing div/layer will be wrapped such that contents will scroll according to the responsive environment.  Any alterations to the internal aspects of the content will probably not be needed, but this is something that needs to be confirmed. 

This unfortunately is not a part of the platform, but more of a feature in the product, hence I'm not 100% up to speed. =\

Kalen,

Is the concern around viewing current content that already exists?  Worth testing it out in a trial or a preview instance to see how it formats, but we did a pretty good job of making content work.

-Curtis

kalenk

The main questions is, do you provide a responsive class framework or aid for structuring content within the WYSIWYG, or is this something we will need to address in house?

We would like to begin implementing any Jive8 responsive WYSIWYG classes to content we are creating in Jive7, so we don't have to go back and recode it after the transition. However, I don't know if there even is a Jive8 WYSIWYG responsive class system. I have found nothing of it in the documentation and the trial WYSIWYG operated quite similarly, sans the new code markup.

Currently, in Jive7, we're forced to layout the WYSIWYG content with inline styles (floats, percentage widths, etc.). This approach will not work in Jive8, as percentages would need to be overwritten by media queries, and those require style tags, which are stripped out.

Any insight would be appreciated, Curtis.

Kalen,

I talked with our design team to better understand what you are looking for and came out with the following:

• At the moment the out of the box RTE does not have any media queries you can call to format content for different devices.
                    • Our App Tiles and HTML Tiles do have ways to control 1) full html 2) Mobile vs. Desktop views.

I am glad you are thinking of formatting content on different devices and have started a conversation internally to see if there is something more we should do along the lines you have noted - create 2 versions of one piece of content for different devices. 

-Curtis