1 Reply Latest reply on May 28, 2015 3:42 PM by jeph.yang

Jive for SharePoint - content, search, and list view

Tim Gray

With the current version of Jive for SharePoint:

- content - if SharePoint integration is in place, are all "uploaded files" stored on SharePoint?  Is there a choice?  Is the integration across the entire Jive instance including Spaces, or only on a group or project basis?  I assume documents, blogs, discussions etc. are not impacted?

- search - if I search for content from Jive, will it return hits in SharePoint in the same return list that shows Jive Content?  If I just want to search Jive not SharePoint and vice versa?  Ie: is search fully federated, or is it that if I search and there are hits in SharePoint, I see the SharePoint search results list separately from Jive hits?

- list view: is if possible to view a SharePoint list from Jive (and if so can the list be edited from Jive).

Thanks.

• Re: Jive for SharePoint - content, search, and list view

Hi Tim,

Thanks for raising this inquiry for the Jive for SharePoint integration.  Please find my responses below:

content - if SharePoint integration is in place, are all "uploaded files" stored on SharePoint?  Is there a choice?  Is the integration across the entire Jive instance including Spaces, or only on a group or project basis?  I assume documents, blogs, discussions etc. are not impacted?

Any file that is uploaded within a SharePoint integrated place (this includes groups and spaces) will be stored within the SharePoint site.  The document conversion preview feature converts the convertible documents to PDF files and shows the preview in the Jive UI. These previews can either be stored in Jive or in SharePoint, based on system properties set by the Jive admin.j  I don't believe other native Jive content types are impacted.   For example, a discussion created in Jive will live in Jive, but will be viewable and editable in SharePoint by means of the SharePoint WebParts.  Documents uploaded into SharePoint will be viable in Jive via the Remote Docs tab in the respective space/social group.

search - if I search for content from Jive, will it return hits in SharePoint in the same return list that shows Jive Content?  If I just want to search Jive not SharePoint and vice versa?  Ie: is search fully federated, or is it that if I search and there are hits in SharePoint, I see the SharePoint search results list separately from Jive hits?

When a user searches for anything in Jive or SharePoint, the returned results will display results as filtered with respect to the permissions of that user. No matter where the user is in Jive or SharePoint, federated search results will only return content that the user has permission to see.   When searching from Jive, you may filter the results for content in Jive or from SharePoint by clicking on the associated bridged community (works the same as bridged communities search).

list view: is if possible to view a SharePoint list from Jive (and if so can the list be edited from Jive).

Yes, you may view a SharePoint list as mentioned in Jive for SharePoint 2010/2013 (V3) by means of integration tiles.  However, I don't believe these are editable.

For additional reference, also see:  https://docs.jivesoftware.com/jive/7.0/community_admin/index.jsp?topic=/jive.help.sharepoint/SharePoint/AboutSP.html

I hope you find these answers useful.  Please let me know if you had any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang