9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 5:17 PM by bdozier

Can I "clear" Recent Activity?

Hello External Communities and Internal Communities 

We are in the process of adding new business units to our external community, and part of our effort involves working in the actual Production spaces/groups in the weeks before launch.  We use the Recent Activity widget, so all of this prep work is showing up in the widget. Is there a way for us to dump that content as part of our deployment / introduction of these spaces for our users? Appreciate any information or experiences you can share.

• Re: Can I "clear" Recent Activity?
          Billy Volpone

Becky, just to clarify, are you looking to delete that content entirely from the group/space or just not have it show up within that overview page widget (therefore users could still find it, should they desire, via the "content" sub-tab).

If it's just about the cleaning the main landing page, I would suggest not using the recent activity widget and instead focusing (at least once you open it up) on featured content or top content widgets. Can help make for less of a noisy view as well.

1 person found this helpful
              gjlutz

I have a similar question - we just received and deleted a bunch of spam - however the articles are still showing up in Recent Activity.  Is there a way to Clear / or Refresh this widget to not show content that has been deleted??

Billy Volpone

Not that I can tell after a quick check Gary, but I could be wrong. Altering what's showing most likely needs to happen via either simply making sure to create new activity and therefore bump out old content, alter which groups/sources the recent activity widget is pulling from, or simply refocusing the main overview page instead around featured and/or top and trending content instead of just new activity. Could do both as well, of course. 

Libby Taylor

Hey Gary, have you tried logging out and then logging in as a regular user? You might still be seeing deleted content because you have special permissions (I'm not sure what your role in in your community). Often as admins, we continue to see things in the feeds that most users wouldn't see. Just checking to see if this is the case with the deleted spam you are referring to.

gjlutz

Definitely not an access/elevated permissions issue - users that are logged out (anonymous visitors) are able to see the deleted content in the Recent Activity Widget.

We "worked around" this by posting a bunch of blank discussions (to push the spam off the list) - but this is not ideal.  Content that has been deleted should not show up in this widget.

gjlutz

All - just to close the loop on this - I found a solution.  I found that all you need to do is go to System -> Settings -> Cache in the admin console - and clear the cache for "Container Recent Content Cache" - this serves the purpose of what I was looking to do.