5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 9:01 AM by jeph.yang

Is it possible to build a Forum? How? (thanks in advance)

emilianobruno

Hi Jivers,

we are experimenting with Jive here at my enterprise.

I'm trying to build a forum (with its threads etc.) but it seems that there's no specific application for that.

I created a group and use "Discussions" and "Ideas", and use categories to have something like Subforums (for instance: "sell & buy" or "Conference and Workshops" or ""Newcomers"), but is not so agile nor versatile like a real Forum. For instance, whichever widget I could use (Recent content, the most useful, anyway) it does not show who replied last, but only the author.

Any help ?

Also, I have thought that the better solution (in case of no specific forum application) would be to land directly on the "Content" view instead of on the "Overview" page. Could this be possible? Could I set the group to have as landing page the "Content" view?

Thanks very much in advance for your answer

Emiliano

Ryan Rutan

• Re: Is it possible to build a Forum? How? (thanks in advance)

Hi Emiliano,

Thanks for raising this inquiry for your need to setup a forum.  I believe your best option would be to continue using discussions and ideas as mentioned.  However, you also mentioned creating sub-forums, so you may wish to look into utilizing space containers instead of social groups containers, since social groups do not have hierarchy.  Where to go from here, however, would depend greatly on which version of Jive you're on.  Could you please confirm this?

Regards,

Jeph Yang

emilianobruno

Hi Jeph,

thanks very much for your answer. We are using Jive 7 :-(

For the time being I have solved the problem using a group, using categories to group the threads (problem is that in this case, is the user who has to take care of assigning a category, while in a real forum a user choose to which subforum they want to go (if it's about "food" or "cars" or "Wanted goods" or "Offered goods" etc.)

To visualize the list, I use a Recent Content widget, which allows to create a feed and to filter by categories. BUT...

Problem 1) the widget only shows the "Author" of the entry (while in a real forum one needs to know

1. how many answers the thread has,
                  2. when an item has been last modified

Problem 2) discussions and questions works well: when an user add a comment (even if it's a nested comment) the list on the widget "Recent Content" is refreshed and the commented item goes at the top of the list. BUT this does not happen with Ideas and Polls. If in the forum I post an idea (or a Poll) they will never goes up in the list, even if a user comments or vote.

Here a screenshot of what I have for the time being

Any help?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Emiliano

Hi Emiliano,

Thanks for the clarification.  Please find my responses below:

Problem 1) the widget only shows the "Author" of the entry (while in a real forum one needs to know

1. how many answers the thread has,
                  2. when an item has been last modified

The Recent Content widget will only show the title, author, and how long ago the piece of content was created, in addition to the option to filter by categories and tags.  Unfortunately, it doesn't display how many replies/comments have been made to the post.  It will only sort based on creation time due to JIRA bug JIVE-38590, but will not update to show recent comments/replies with the exception being discussions.  Replies and modifications are best tracked using the Recent Activity widget, but this widget has a different look and feel than the Recent Content widget and may not be what you were looking for, but feel free to experiment with this.  Otherwise, I don't see any other out of box widgets that fit this criteria.

Problem 2) discussions and questions works well: when an user add a comment (even if it's a nested comment) the list on the widget "Recent Content" is refreshed and the commented item goes at the top of the list. BUT this does not happen with Ideas and Polls. If in the forum I post an idea (or a Poll) they will never goes up in the list, even if a user comments or vote.

This is related to the bug I mentioned above, so at the moment only discussions/questions will be sorted by last comments/replies.

If you require additional custom widgets beyond the out of box options, you may wish to look into customization options through a Jive Professional Services (PS) engagement.  Let me know if you'd like to be put in touch with our PS team to look into this, but let me know if you had any other questions otherwise.

Regards,

Jeph Yang

emilianobruno

Thanks Jeph.

As you mentioned, using the Recent Content widget doesn't give me the feeling I want to give: it takes too much spaces and makes it look a bit cahotic and not very readable.

For what I can see and after your clarification I'm headed to think that what I have finally got is possibly the best option.

Just a last question: could you tell me if in the following version (Jive 8: we will upgrade possibly at the end of this year) the bug you mention (JIRA bug JIVE-38590) will be solved?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Emiliano Bruno

Hi Emiliano,

That bug is actually an ongoing bug that hasn't been resolved yet.  It was filed to make the behavior more consistent with what you're seeing with discussions, but I also suspect the current behavior is the intended behavior (to sort based on creation time, not recent activity time).  Either way, if you'd like to track this bug or any other bugs, please submit a support case in your Jive Community customer group and we'll attach the bug to the case and follow-up with you once this is resolved.  Unfortunately, I cannot do the same for a discussion post.

If you're not familiar with the case submission process, please reach out to your community manager for assistance.

Regards,

Jeph Yang