7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 7:37 AM by jeph.yang

Views and Viewers.....

garfield

Hi.....I need to be able to identify viewers who viewed a document during a specific period. Impact Metrics gives me how many viewers and how many views during a specific (filtered) period, it also gives me the list of names of all viewers.....however, I need the list of names of viewers during the specific filtered date.  When I filter the period, the list of viewers' names remains unchanged.  Is there a way of finding out this information using Impact Metrics or community reporting?

Also, using Impact Metrics, on some days it reports a number of "views" but zero viewers.....how can there be views with no viewers?

Any help appreciated.....

• Re: Views and Viewers.....

Hi Jai,

Thanks for raising this inquiry around how to report on specific users who have viewed a particular document.  Unfortunately, the list of viewers listed on the Impact Metrics page is a stationary list of all viewers and does not update when you filter the viewer date range, as only the the filter only applies to the view counts.  I don't see that this is available in the CMR.  If this is an important feature you'd like to see in the future, I would encourage submitting a feature request idea here:

Ideas for Jive

As an alternative, if you have access to Jive Cloud Analytics, you may wish to report on this through the Data Export Service (DES) using the "ACTIVITY_VIEW_DOCUMENT" event.  If you don't already have access to Jive Cloud Analytics, you may submit a request here:

Requesting access to Jive Cloud Analytics

For more details on DES, please see:

Using the V2 Jive Data Export Service (Analytics)

As this would fall under development work and is outside the scope of Jive Customer Support, I would I recommend looking at the Jive Developers space for guidance and collaboration with the development community.

As for why you might see views, but no views, do you have guest/visitor access to your Jive environment, or is your site crawled by bots?  There is a bug open with engineering at the moment where bot views are being counted, so that could potentially lead to view counts with no viewers.

Regards,

Jeph Yang

garfield

Hi Jeph

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.  That's a shame, you think having the functionality to know who viewed a documents and when would be a basic requirement for most people so surprising that it's not there.  I have posted the question under the Developers section but no replies so far.  I have also raised it as an idea as you suggested.

I am concerned regarding your comments about "bots", does this mean our documents are being viewed externally?

Thanks again for your help

Hi Jai,

The bots question only comes into play if your site is externally accessible and you do not have restrictions via robots.txt.  Bots are computers that crawl and index content for various reasons, but usually for search indexing.  Even if you have robots.txt, some bots do not respect this and will crawl your site anyway.  If you have an internal site without external accessibility, then this shouldn't normally be an issue.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Regards,

Jeph Yang

garfield

Thanks Jeph

That reassures me as our site isn't accessible externally, however, this then leaves me with the question as to how I can have more views than viewers?  Do you have any other ideas?

Regards

Jai

Hi Jai,

You might review the data from the DES generated CSV to confirm what's going on here.  If you're continuing to see inflated view counts respective to viewers moving forward and the report doesn't seem to account for this increase, I would recommend submitting a support case in your Jive Customer Group for in-depth troubleshooting.

Regards,

Jeph Yang