2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 5:47 PM by gbrettmiller

Using the HTML widget to return list of Group members who have a specific skill on their profile

gbrettmiller

I want to use the HTML widget inside a Group to provide a "skill search" against only members of the group. I'm thinking of a pre-populated dropdown list of skills relevant to the membership, so that when the "Find SME" button is clicked, the user sees a list of members of the Group that have that skill on their profile.

Getting ready to dig into the API, figured I'd ask first if anyone has already done something like this or has suggestions.

Thanks.

• Re: Using the HTML widget to return list of Group members who have a specific skill on their profile

Hi Brett!

Yes, you can build something like this, however there are a few caveats to consider.

First, if you are on a current version of Jive take a look at building a tile or using the html tile instead of the HTML widget. You'll be able to use the Javascript API (https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/js/index.html) instead of the Rest API ( https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/rest/index.html ) , and that approach will generally be more stable and maintainable.

Also, a big benefit of the tile/addon approach will be that you will be able to write a generic version of this, that can automatically detect the group it is located in. With a html widget, you will need to hard code the place for every instance. My former colleague Emanuel Popa can created a ton of these and might be able to help out.

The big caveat is IIIRC that there is no solid search option for members of a group. If the number of members of your group is not too high you can use the members collection of your group ( https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/rest/MemberEntity.html ) , keep those in an array and filter accordingly. This will also allow you to populate your dropdown fields with current data.

The standard people search endpoint in the Rest API, which would seem like the obvious choice,  does not allow you to search by skills specifically, it can only do a full time search. Also, for filterable fields like location, department or position, there is no way to get the available filter options (e.g. a list of departments) and finally, it does not allow you to limit your search to group members.

So unless your groups have hundreds or thousands of members, I would go with the first option and use the members property of the group. If you have very large groups, the best approach would be to create a Jive app/add-on that adds a "advanced people search" tab to your group. Then you could use app properties on the Jive server or a custom backend to cache data.

Let me know if you need further help.

1 person found this helpful