16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 8:21 AM by sonja

Merging, Purging, Deleting, Housekeeping

smoghe

Hi Everyone,

We started our Jive implementation with very few restrictions and that probably is the right thing to do given our culture. This meant for example that there was never a restriction on the creation of groups. You know, "let a thousand flowers bloom" and that kind of thing. And a thousand flowers did bloom! For a company of 3000 odd, we have just a huge proliferation of content and places. That being said, we're also at a point where there's a lot of dead, abandoned groups out there which may or may not have useful content. I'm curious to know how other community managers are handling this proliferation. How do you communicate with users and owners? What do you do with the groups and what do you do with the content? What do you do with abandoned or inactive secret or private groups?

Look forward to hear from you,

Sumeet

• Re: Merging, Purging, Deleting, Housekeeping
          england_k

Dina Vekaria is the queen of auditing and cleaning up our community. I'm sure she will be happy to share some top tips.

Kate Bellard

I try to perform a places audit every 6 months. I run a report of all places and their date of last activity. The report also includes information such as owner, and group type. I sort through the listing to identify which groups no longer have an owner. If there is no content in those groups, I delete them. If there is some recent activity or content that looks like it could still be valuable, I start a discussion in the group asking if anyone is interested in taking ownership of the group. If yes, I reassign ownership, if no, I delete the group.

Additionally, I sort through the listing of places (mostly the groups because our spaces are controlled and much fewer) and categorize them by functional areas in the company. I separate out the functions and are now able to work with functional advocates or community managers to identify which groups are considered "official" and which ones should be reviewed to determine if they are no longer needed. If the groups haven't been active in >3 months, I review it to see what kind of group is it. Some groups serve more as document libraries, so those wouldn't necessarily have much activity. If the groups appear to be dead (and should have more collaboration), I contact the group owner and ask if the group is still needed or if they would like my help with increasing user adoption. In most cases, the group owner will tell me the group is no longer needed. A lot of times, I don't get a response and will send another email with a reminder/warning that the group will soon be deleted, if a response is not received.

2 people found this helpful
                smoghe
                What do you do with secret and private groups Kate? Given that they're probably meant to be confidential?
                    ChristopherHall

We take a similar approach to auditing as Kate Bellard. The data allows a community manager to get a sense of activity without needing to look at the content. If a private a or secret group has no activity in 6 months, chances are it can be deleted. We track activity over time, giving us a sense of whether or not the place is on decline. If a group or space posts three consecutive months of decline, I email the owner(s) and ask if they need assistance in revitalizing the site. If there is no response/they decline we retire the site by adding (Retired) to the place name. If a place has ZERO activity for three consecutive months, we immediately retire it and give the owner(s) two weeks to respond before deleting.

Reaching out to the place owners usually prompts the "Oh yeah, I don't need it anymore, you can delete" or the "I'm not part of that team any more, so and so should be owner" response. That will lead to deleting the site or getting it back up and running.

I'll also mention that putting in a gatekeeper for places works really well for preventing duplicate places. We also send each new place owner a ppt that gives them instructions on curating content (among other things) that helps to prevent information overload before it starts.

Kate Bellard

I treat secret and private groups the same way I would an open group. Employees are aware that system administrators have access to all places and content.

sonja

Hi Kate,

I am trying to run the same report but I really have a problem to extract this information from Jive.

I would like to export in excel all created Group and Space and see the last activity date without considering the view as for me the problem is users find inactive places and wast their time by viewing them, therefore I would like to archive them.

How can I export this information?

how is the right query?

Kate Bellard

I want to share an update - it was time for me to perform another group clean up in December 2015. I try to do this every 6 months, but honestly, it tends to be an annual process, so I focus on this during the holidays when other things start to slow down.

I ran the same report to look at groups that had no group owners or had not be active in the last 3 months. Instead of emailing each owner of a group or starting a discussion in each of the groups without an owner, I wrote documents in the community and inserted a table with the group name, owner (if there was one), group type, and date of last activity. I then added a column for people to edit to the table and add their notes - keep the group, archive (make secret), delete, or @ mention the person who should be the new group owner.

I got a lot of positive feedback - it was an easy way to capture the information and as people edited the table, the updates were posted in the activity streams, so I think more people saw it.

Dina Vekaria

Hi Sumeet

My apologies for taking so long to respond, we're upgrading to the cloud in just over 24hrs. Very excited!

Our situation is very similar to Kate and Chris, but unfortunately, i had about four years worth of places to go through as we hadn't really done a proper audit. Much like yourself, we just wanted our community to use Neo and we didn't put much governance in place. Around two years ago, we have just over 2,500 spaces in Neo, today we have just under 350. The community love their spaces, as it has a hierarchy at the top and they can create fancy HTML heavy pages. It has taken the team so long to try and change the mindset of the community, more emphasis on content and less on how sexy your page looks. No one in Neo is allowed to create sub-spaces now, they have to go through me by filling in a form and I will grant them a sub-space if they meet the business criteria. I get a report every two months that shows me how many new spaces have been created and if I find any new sub-spaces that haven't been created by me, they get an email from me and they're added to my "naughty list" .

Groups we don't have a huge amount of governance as Neo is a mix of work and play. What we do ask is that people think about three things before they hit the "create group" button.

1. is this a unique group that does not already exist on Neo?
                        2. Will this group add value to the Pearson community?
                        3. Do I have a clear plan for managing this group and keeping content relevant and updated?

We also have a community manager toolkit that place admins can download and use to become better community managers.

I started auditing our groups a few months ago, we had just over 13,000 and today we have around 7,500, i'm still not done with groups . Once i'm happy that we have pulled down redundant groups, i will be working on consolidating existing groups that are similar in topic.

In terms of audit process, we have pretty much gone down the same route as Kate and Chris above. I've only audited groups in Neo from 2007 to 2014. I will be auditing 2015 groups around this time next year. It will now be a yearly process so much more manageable. The only thing I do a little different is I don't delete the content, if i don't hear back from anyone about their group, their content will get mass moved (we have the 7Summits content mover plugin) into a secret archive group that only I can access, then the empty group will be removed from Neo. I'm a little afraid of deleting someones content, so i keep it stashed away and if no one reports any "missing" content in one year or more, that archive group gets deleted too.

Once we've upgraded this week and it gets a little calmer, i'm happy to have a chat with you about what we did and how we did it.

Dina

2 people found this helpful
                          sfield@athenahealth.com

Hi Sumeet,

What's helped me as a community manager with inactive groups is sending out a group owner guide to new group owners once their group is created that contains a light-hearted fine-print section outlining what happens to inactive groups. Our current policy is if a group is inactive for 30 days, the group owner(s) receives an e-mail warning from our Jive alias creating awareness that the group is inactive. Then if the group is inactive for another 30 days the group is deleted. SharePoint is our back end so all content in the group is saved to SharePoint if it needs to be referenced for the future. We also offer groups the opportunity to recreate their deleted group once they have more time to curate and keep the group active. Our policy is a little aggressive but we haven't had any problems so far. Hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful
                            jemjanik

Alcatel-Lucent has held annual group cleanup days.  We've also done audits to email owners of groups with no activity in X amount of time indicating admins will delete your group if you don't reply. Of course, in there it's good to offer help to revive the group (re-seeding content & convos, re-advertising it's existence, etc.)