1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 8:01 AM by Dennis Pearce

How do you estimate the cost of a system-wide roll out (aside from licenses)?

babate

Hi Internal CMs,

We're starting to plan for a big marketing push. How did you start?

Did you start with your marketing comms department and just got them to make it an internal cost?

Or did you find better results by going with an outside agency?

At Jiveworld I was really impressed by the marketing push RadioShack did (commercial, hyping it up, etc). Now... where to start

• Re: How do you estimate the cost of a system-wide roll out (aside from licenses)?
          Dennis Pearce

We did a "soft launch" and let it grow organically by word of mouth before doing a formal announcement.  Our fear was that doing a big splash with no content or activity already going on would cause a lot of people to poke their heads in briefly and then go back to work as usual, with nothing to keep them coming back.  So we focused on a couple of key groups we wanted to help, but let anyone who wanted get into it and create a group.  We launched in April 2012 and by August we had enough happening that we felt comfortable having our CEO mention it in his quarterly employee meeting (he even did a live demo!) along with posts and stories by our Corp Comms team.

I think that when it comes to internal deployment, a marketing effort is a good idea if it is used as a boost to an already organically growing deployment, but might backfire if done too soon.  When we deployed I found some graphs on the internet that helped me argue for this kind of deployment strategy.  If you look at this chart:

google-plus-growth.jpg

It looks like Google+ was way more successful than Facebook or Twitter.  But we all know how that turned out.  Facebook and Twitter both grew organically from relative obscurity in small start-ups, while Google+ started with a big publicity splash and "invitation only" access that everyone wanted just because it was Google, regardless of whether they needed (or even understood) what G+ could deliver.  So the growth charts ended up looking like this:

facebook adoption.png twitter_users.jpg  Google_Plus_Index1.jpg

And Google really should have known better because they had taken the exact same deployment approach earlier with Google Wave and got the exact same result:

wave.png

I wrote up some of the thinking behind the approach we took in a series of 3 blog posts if you are interested.  (The titles were not my idea -- InformationWeek wanted to do that numerical clickbait kind of title, which I really hate.  In my mind these are three parts of a single topic.):

5 Social Business Adopter Types: Prepare Early - InformationWeek

7 Ways To Drive Social Business Buy-In - InformationWeek

How To Revive Social Business Adoption - InformationWeek