4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 7:14 AM by mcollinge

What's your best practice for article Searchability?

mguisado

Hey everyone,

We're working through a couple of scenarios for our content.  A few months ago we ported our knowledge base to Jive.  It's had good results but some of the feedback we're getting is that users are having a hard problem finding things.  We're realizing that it's probably down to how the articles are tagged and titled.

We're trying to balance between "internal lingo" and natural language, if you've been around a while using internal lingo works great, if you're new and don't know what the thing is called, you might struggle a little bit.

So we're thinking the following to address:

Document titles: Should be natural language, staying away from technical terms and lingo.

Document tags: Include internal keywords or technical lingo.

If you've had to consider this - did you come up with another solution?

• Re: What's your best practice for article Searchability?
          tburak

Hi Mario -

I think technical lingo is fine, to be honest, as it will get like users closer to the content they need.  Problem is, you will see a lot more generic tags which aren't of use to anyone.

I've seen a number of ways to tackle this issue - one is to have a centralised list - like a taxonomy ('approved' terms), or to let users run free.

I have opted for free range users, and let them tag at will, but have seen 3 issues -

1. people get lazy, and don't tag - reason being - they don't see the benefit as search is poor

2. when tagging - it doesn't sort used tags in alpha order, which makes it frustrating for users

3. users make errors - and there is no tag clean up function in our version

4. people think keywords when they think tags, and not phrases - so tags can be quite not descript, and not all that useful

So - while I still encourage users to tag, it is an uphill battle, and maybe a combination of corporate suggested tags & user defined is the best solution.

Patty McEnaney

Hello Mario,

I encourage users to make a distinction between how documents are named on our Shared Drives (often following some odd concatenation of dates and abbreviations) and try to name Jive documents by inputting a separate, simple title in the "Title" field and not use the same title as the uploaded document. I conduct a webinar training session with new community members each month. I put together a list of links to the "best" training documents in one document and I send that out via Share to all new community members. One of the most important links in that document includes search tips that we adopted from Jive for our Help section. I recommend community members use quotation marks and Boolean operators such as "AND" "OR" or "NOT" and these simple tricks seem to stick with people. I hope that helps. People do get more familiar with how to search over time.

1 person found this helpful
              Patty McEnaney

And, here's the Search Tips document compiled byLibby Taylor at Jive. Search Tips for JiveWorks

1 person found this helpful
                mcollinge

Just adding to this with a few extra things from what others have said. On element14.com we customised the search result dialog to include our version of promoted search results.. these allow us to use graphical 'banners' which appear for certain keywords.. those help direct users to the most likely area they're looking for. We also surface results from a specific area (Design Center), and pull in product results.

Another thing to aid searchability is to add small banners (we call them Smart Panels) to the side of content.. these are customisable to display different images/text depending on where you are, so if you know they're in a particular area, you can direct them to another area of interest easily.

One last thing we do is add content search to the 404 page.. so if a user comes in on an old/invalid/deleted link, we can at least give them some leads on where to go next..