6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 4:28 PM by john.decker

How do I remove fields from user profiles/registrations.

communityanna

Trying to change our profiles/registration template and its not letting me fully remove old questions...

• Re: How do I remove fields from user profiles/registrations.

Hi Anna,

Im not sure I completely understand what you mean, could you provide me an example of what how it is not letting you remove old questions?

To see the fields displayed for registrations you should be able to go to the Admin Console > People > Settings > Registration Settings.

Or if you are looking to remove profile settings, you should be able to in the Admin Console > People > Settings > Profile Settings. After making certain changes, you may need to rebuild the user search index.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
          John

communityanna

You'll see in the screen shots below, I can make certain fields visible only to the user, etc. but I cannot fully delete/remove any of them...I don't want some of these questions at all...

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.43.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.43.17 AM.png

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the screenshot. There are two things which appears to be preventing the removal of those fields:

1. The first is that the default Jive fields are not removable, there is an idea for the feature here Be able to turn off and reorder Default Profile Fields but it has not been implemented yet. If this is something you would like to see implemented in a future release, I would recommend voting it up.
                  2. The second part to it is that it appears the default profile fields were customized from what they had originally been to those new fields, therefore Jive believes those are not custom profile fields but rather the default field.

Because of this, you will not be able to remove those fields, you can change them and edit them, but unfortunately you will not be able to completely remove them.

communityanna

How can I make those fields invisible to everyone? There are way more options than I want displaying in "Privacy" that can't even be edited by the user because I am trying not to display them in the registration field.

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 10.25.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-23 at 10.23.13 AM.png

communityanna

Additionally, that idea has been around for 2 years...and nearly every other issue I keep encountering are issues that others have raised. It doesn't look like this idea system really works well to address core function issues that community managers face on a daily basis.

Hi Anna,

There is not a way to completely hide those fields but if you uncheck "Users may edit the visibility for this profile field"  and "Editable" then the user will not be able to select the visibility or edit the fields.  This will be the closest option for what you are trying to accomplish.

Additionally, that idea has been around for 2 years...and nearly every other issue I keep encountering are issues that others have raised. It doesn't look like this idea system really works well to address core function issues that community managers face on a daily basis.

With all of the ideas that are submitted, it might seem like a lot of them go unanswered but these are still reviewed by our Products team as they gather information around what users are requesting. I personally support ideas because I feel it allows features requests and people to have a voice and input. Like any idea, when more people support and vote for it, it will increase its visibility. You are right, some of the ideas get fully implemented while others do not. However, some of the ideas are partially implemented as they seems fit with the design of the product.

When this idea Be able to turn off and reorder Default Profile Fields, it was originally created in March of 2013, at that time, profile fields were not customizable. Users were stuck with the same profile fields without any option to change them, however with the feedback, in December of 2013, Jive 7 was released and with it came the functionality to edit the default profile fields. Although the feature to be able to delete default profile fields has not been implemented, by voting up the idea, it will only help increase the popularity and ultimately let our Products team know that it is still a request that users would like to have.