1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 6:11 AM by jeph.yang

Allowing edit rights to a document in a private group

Tim Gray

In JIve 8 there is the ability to allow editing/viewing of a document in a private group for someone who is not part of the group.

As the person who is being granted these edit rights, I receive notification as a share in my inbox.  Other than filtering my in box for "shares" is there any other way for me to find a document to which I've been given edit rights.  (other than search, if I remember enough)  Specifically our use case is that in a private group we will occasionally give access to a number (but not all) files to our Audit group.  They will receive notification as shares, but other than the share they won't necessarily know the the name or even key words in the document, so it will be tough for them to get to these documents.

And a second question:

We've been experimenting with this in a couple of temporary Jive instances, one is for example:

https://rogers.jiveon.com/

In both sites, from the document which I authored, and shared, when I click 'people outside the group' link - nothing shows.  When I go in as the person to which view/edit rights have been shared, I click that link and I do see the list of who has access.

thanks.

cc:  Hady Abi-Nader

• Re: Allowing edit rights to a document in a private group

Hi Tim,

I believe you're referring to the Non-Member Content Editing (Private Groups) setting in newer versions of Jive accessible via System > Settings > Non-Member Content Editing (Private Groups) in the Jive Admin Console.  Please find my answers below:

As the person who is being granted these edit rights, I receive notification as a share in my inbox.  Other than filtering my in box for "shares" is there any other way for me to find a document to which I've been given edit rights.  (other than search, if I remember enough)  Specifically our use case is that in a private group we will occasionally give access to a number (but not all) files to our Audit group.  They will receive notification as shares, but other than the share they won't necessarily know the the name or even key words in the document, so it will be tough for them to get to these documents.

In looking at this new feature, I see that the only way to track it seems through the notification in your Inbox.  I'd encourage submitting a feature request if you'd like to see expanded options by posting an idea in the Ideas for Jive space.  This will capture the use case for our Product Team.

We've been experimenting with this in a couple of temporary Jive instances, one is for example:

https://rogers.jiveon.com/

In both sites, from the document which I authored, and shared, when I click 'people outside the group' link - nothing shows.  When I go in as the person to which view/edit rights have been shared, I click that link and I do see the list of who has access.

This could be a bug and may require further investigation.  I would recommend submitting a support case in your Jive Community customer group to investigate this in detail.

Regards,

Jeph Yang