7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 12:05 PM by jeph.yang

Implementing Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager Via Jive

danaeinsidler

I added my tracking ID (provided by Google Analytics) onto my Jive site through admin console>system>settings>third-party Analytics. According to Google Analytics, it is set-up and is receiving data.

So, if the tracking ID is meant to be placed within the admin console, does this mean that the container code still has to be placed into the html of each page? Is there a particular location that Jive provides for the container code, just as there is a special place for the tracking code? If I am understanding correctly, the tracking code is meant to link the site to the analytics, and the container code is the code that controls the tags within the site (which is then managed and customized in the tag manager interface). Therefore, both Google products are needed in order to run smoothly?

Please shed light on this issue. Thanks

• Re: Implementing Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager Via Jive

Hi Dana,

Where you place your Google Analytics (GA) code will depend ultimately on which version of Jive you're running.  Could you please confirm the version and whether this is hosted/cloud/on-premise?

Regards,

Jeph Yang

danaeinsidler

Jive Version: Cloud, and it is hosted on the cloud.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Jeph Yang <

Hi Dana,

For Jive Cloud, I believe you've taken the correct steps.  This is also covered here:

Integrating Web Analytics

You can connect your community with a third-party web analytics provider to track site navigation and marketing analytics on your Jive site.

Fastpath: Admin Console: System > Settings > Third-Party Analytics

The Third-Party Analytics settings let you use a web analytics tool like Google Analytics or Marketo to monitor what's happening on your Jive site by inserting tracking code in your Jive pages. This code sends information back to the web analytics provider each time a page on your site is accessed. Your analytics results won't be displayed anywhere in Jive: you can view them using your analytics reporting from your analytics provider.

Note: Jive's Analytics offerings don't have any connection to this third-party data collection. They use different metrics, and results are not directly comparable.

To set up reporting, paste your Google or Marketo ID in the appropriate tab and click Save Settings. If you were already using this setting with a previous version, you'll see a tab that allows a more free-form JavaScript implementation. This method is no longer recommended because of security risks. If you need to implement a different third-party tool, please contact Support.

SOURCE:  https://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/comm_mgr/jive.help.core/#admin/IntegratingWebAnalytics.html

The Google Tag falls under the second part and requires use of the legacy third-party analytics tab (may not be accessible to you unless you've used it in the past).  However, please be aware that any code snippets inserted here are unsupported and may potentially cause instability to the environment.  If this is required, please submit a support case in your Jive Community customer group and we can review this to verify if it may be safely added.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Regards,

Jeph Yang