4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 11:23 AM by 312969652

Difference between Jive plugin and Jive add-on?

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to Jive. I am a co-op(intern) working on Jive.

I am confused what will be the actual difference between jive plugin and jive add-on?

How different will my approach be if I have to develop an add-on or a plugin?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Difference between Jive plugin and Jive add-on?
          cgum

Hi Karanbir Singh Mann,

I plugin is going to be written in Java and is typically going to execute within the Jive web application (unless it is all JavaScript).  You have a lot more control over what you can do (almost anything) with plugins, but the learning curve can be a little rough in terms of getting a development environment set up, etc.  If they are not done properly, they can also destabilize the system.

Add-ons on the other hand can be written as a web app using any language and are hosted externally to the Jive web application.  When you "install" an add-on, you are providing Jive with metadata on how to communicate with your web service (e.g. for authentication hand-shaking) as well as where/how the Jive UI will be extended by your add-on.

I would say that Add-ons are a little easier to write and are typically unaffected by Jive version updates whereas plugins (depending on what they do) frequently need to be recompiled between Jive major versions, and sometimes even minor versions.  Add-ons are probably the way to go if you have a pretty self-contained piece of functionality that you are using to present content from an external system.  If you want to change any fundamental behavior in Jive (custom Single Sign-On, for instance, or extending the action menus) you are going to want to use a plugin.

Hope that helps a little!

4 people found this helpful