19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 7:07 AM by christina.keimig

Unmark Helpful Event

danbruhn

Currently we give points to members who have replies that are marked helpful..  We are moving from Jive 6 to Jive 8 and will be giving all members the ability to mark replies as helpful.  Members can easily game the system by simply marking a reply as helpful, umarking as helpful and marking as helpful again.  Is there a negative event we can add in bunchball  to deduct the points for this action?  I didn't see anything in the documentation.

Thanks,

Dan

• Re: Unmark Helpful Event
          Megan Truett

I just checked and it does not track when a helpful is removed, but it does track both gives of helpful. Did not see a negative action listed for this one L

2 people found this helpful

I am having the engineering team review if the event has the mark helpful and unmark.

danbruhn

Hi Curtis,

Is there an easy way to turn off the ability for members to "unmark" as helpful?  To be honest, unless someone marked something as helpful by accident I don't see why someone would typically even use that function. 

Thanks,

Dan

danbruhn

Hi Curtis,

Wanted to see if you had an update on this?  One thought did come to mind.  If we did have an unmark event that could also pose another problem.  That would mean if a member didn't like someone they could simply go to all their threads and click "no" which would remove points even if they had never initially marked it as helpful.  The unmark event should only come into play if the member initially marked it as helpful.  To be honest, having the ability to remove the "no" option maybe the best solution.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Dan

Good point Dan.  The big thing we have to think about is "What rate will X take place?"  because a few unmark events that are not tracked is rain drops in an ocean, until someone decides to abuse it

danbruhn

Hi Curtis,

Does a mark as "no" have any impact on the community at all?  I can't seem to find any information on this.  For example does it lower it's rank in search?  Can others tell if someone has marked something "no"?

We go live with Jive 8 next week and I'm sure this question will come up from our members.

Thanks,

Dan

A 'no' vote will do a few things, most visual.

• If an item only has 'no' votes then the label will not show.
                              • If an item has at least 1 helpful vote, then the total will show to all users.  "1 out of 3 found this helpful"
                              • The label shows to all users and is meant to help guide them when viewing content to the most helpful replies.
                              • The helpful 'badge' for each piece of content will organize content by the helpful votes, least helpful will be at the bottom. (example on this thread - select the 'helpful' badge under your initial discussion!)
                              • Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 3.01.20 PM.png

Longer term we are also considering making a certain threshold of 'not helpful' votes cause a reply to be hidden.  Still up for debate.

2 people found this helpful
                              Alex Nassi

Have there been any findings or does anyone have any suggests on how to handle community members abusing the "helpful" option?

I have a few members (all from the same company) who seem to be going through each other's replies and marking/unmarking/re-marking as helpful. This has caused the four of them to skyrocket to the top of our leaderboard.

The only solution I can think of is to track each event, tally the undeserved points, manually remove their points in Bunchball, and message them an explanation/warning. Any other ideas?

christina.keimig

It is definitely frustrating, Alex! One thing you can do is restrict both the number of points for helpful answers and the number of times per day or week or whatever they can have an answer marked as helpful. I have also done some testing on negative actions (unmarking/deletion) with past versions, which you may want to consider doing... if their answer is unmarked as helpful, they would lose the number of points assigned for it having been marked helpful in the first place. Negative points do work (or at least did back in Jive 6. I have yet to test in 7).

I hope this helps at least a bit!

1 person found this helpful
                                      Alex Nassi

Thanks Christina Keimig. I just double checked and tried to mark a user's reply as Not Helpful, and also tried removing my "Helpful" vote, but neither of these changed the user's point total. I believe I'm using Jive 8.x (not sure exactly which version), which could explain some differences.

I will look into the frequency settings too and see if these could help.

danbruhn

I've been told by Jive this bug doesn't present itself in Cloud but can't confirm.  That said, this is a bit more complex than I initially thought.  A couple of recent findings from my end on Jive 8 hosted environment:

Let's assume a Helpful Answer is worth 10 points

- Marking something as "Not Helpful" has no effect on points at all no matter the scenario

- As the "Author" of a Question if I mark a reply as Helpful then Not helpful and Helpful again the respondent receives 10 points (expected behavior)

- If I'm "Not" the author of the Question and mark a reply as Helpful then Not Helpful and Helpful again the respondent receives 20 points (unexpected and easy to game)

- If a reply has been marked Helpful by user X the respondent receives 10 points. User Y marks that same reply Helpful the respondent receives 0 points  (unexpected because each unique helpful should reward the respondent for their efforts)

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this?

Dan

christina.keimig

Wow! Sounds like things are different in 8! We wouldn't want double the points for someone *else* to mark as helpful in our instance... that is how a lot of people are "gaming" the system.

In 7 Hosted, only one person can mark a specific response as helpful, as far as I've seen, and then the answer is marked as such, period.

I wonder if there's a setting in Nitro to allow for repetition of this trigger (per response), because it sounds like that is the issue here... if it's the same reply and not repeatable, only the first reply would earn the points. Does that help?

christina.keimig

Ah, no, sorry if I wasn't clear enough... you need to set the negative points in the Nitro console. Just removing the helpful won't do it UNLESS you create that as a mission (without a badge) using the unmarked as helpful trigger.