10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 11:11 AM by jkurutz

Archiving out-of-date content

jds140

We are looking to try and archive some of the old content in our community and we were wondering what some others had done?  We want to have some of the content still be searchable, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Re: Archiving out-of-date content
          Libby Taylor

Depending on what version of Jive you are on, you can simply mark the content as Outdated under the Actions menu at the right side of the content screen. The content would still be searchable but would have the Outdated label at the top.

At Jive, we went a step further for our outdated content, we created a space called Archive that only Jive employees have permissions to see. Then as something becomes outdated, we can move the content into the Archive space, it remains searchable to employees but not to regular members in the Jive Community.

There's two options for you there. Let's see if others have more ideas.

jkurutz

Hi Libby,

That sounds very interesting. We're looking in to a similar solution for some of our content, too. Is there a way to automatically move content based on a tag? Let's say we already have a tool that automatically places documents into particular places on the basis of tags or metadata (think something like ESF). If we set a criterion that all desired documents with a "created_on" field with a value more recent than a certain threshold go to something like "Current_Space" and those that older get placed into "Archive_Space", would a document that ages out of the Current_Space be automatically moves to the Archive space with no loss of socialization material, like comments, likes, and ratings?

Thanks. - Josh

jds140

Libby,

Is there a way we can make content in the archive space searchable to users?  We want some of the content we are archiving to remain searchable, we just don't want it available in navigation.

-Joe

stevealldridge

Hi Libby Taylor

If Jive created an "archive" sub space within the default space is all content from any group that is deemed to meet the archive criteria just moved to this 1 space? If this is the case I am wondering how this would work for companies such as ours where we have many different groups which may be open, private or secret which may need archiving capabilities for certain content and whether we'd want to move it all from the various different group types into 1 single space. I'm trying to think of the structural and security implications of doing this based on the fact this is content that is no longer required and is at the end of the day being archived. I assume for example when content is moved from a private group to this archive space it immediately inherits the space permissions and does not know about any security the group may have had based on previous group membership?

Steve

Libby Taylor

Hi Steve, I'm not sure if you have admin rights to your community or not... Hey, you're at Agilent! Whooo hoo, my baby Spark! Since I know the community of which you speak rather intimately (you know I was the Agilent community manager, right?) I can totally answer your question.

If I recall, almost everything in Spark is in groups. This makes is a little harder, but not impossible. You could identify which groups within your community need/want archives, then create spaces or even private groups for those people. As long as they have access to both their active group and the archive group, they can select the action to move the piece of content from one to the other.

jkurutz

Hi Steve & Libby,

I'd like to add yet another Agilent voice to this conversation.

I like the idea of using permissions to restrict the audience for archived content. In our external communities, many customers need access to materials for legacy support, such as manuals for old equipment. But not everyone needs that, and it would be nice to keep those items out of most people's search results. Here are a couple ideas that the site (or group) admin could implement.

For Groups, I agree with Libby that creating separate Private or Secret groups for archived material would be the way to go, especially since Agilent's internal community only allows regular users to create Groups and Projects, not Spaces. This is something you can do as a Group admin without needing to be a site admin. You would just need to have a text widget with some text saying "If you want access to the archives, contact a group admin".

For Spaces - let's discuss an area to house manuals, for illustration's sake
                        For legacy manuals, we could create a sub-space called "Manuals Archive" under the regular "Manuals" space. Then we could set permissions for "Manuals Archive" so only members of a special permissions group called "Legacy" could View it. This would have the benefit that we could create several Archives, but give everyone in Legacy access to them at once. On the regular Manuals page, we could have a text tile/widget saying "to access older manuals, contact the community manager for access", and the manager could then manually add interested people to the permissions group.  Because this solution requires the ability to manage permissions groups, it would have to be implemented and administered by a site admin.

Thanks! - Josh

1 person found this helpful