6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 1:34 PM by adriannadinapoli

Documentation on private and secret groups?

adriannadinapoli

A client of ours who we are building a secret group for wants to see documentation on the privacy of the private group. They want to hear the details of how content shared within is key within.  Does something like this already exist in the JC library? Or has someone developed documentation on such a matter that they've shared and would be willing to share here?

As a side note, I'm truly appreciating the sharing and collaborative spirit of the JC!

• Re: Documentation on private and secret groups?
          Kara Francis

A common concern I hear from new users is the concern that others can see their content, even though it is in a private or secret group (or in a private discussion via profiles).  Because it is showing up "on the home page", they think that everyone can see it.  They also get concerned when a group is at-mentioned.

This is my typical description of the private and secret group regarding privacy.

• Only those who have been invited and approved by a group owner can see the content of a private or secret group.  (speaking for Jive-N), registered users can see the title and group owners of a private group, but they can not see a secret group at all until they have been invited to join that secret group.  (I am not sure what type of user in Jive-X the person needs to be to see the titles of private groups)
          • News streams and search results will include content that the person has access to see, so each person's "home page" and search results will be different depending on their access.
          • If Private or Secret Place A includes a post with an "at mention" of Place B (any group type), the reference will show up in Place B's Activity Stream.  However, only those with access to Private or Secret Place A actually see that reference. (this one scares a lot of people when they have access to both groups and don't realize that only they are seeing this)
          • If someone tries to share something from Private or Secret Place A with someone who does not have access, the sender receives a warning and then the recipient receives a notification with an attachment of the post, but the recipient will not be able to access the page itself.  There is an ethical expectation that we hope everyone would adhere to where this content is only shared with those who truly should see it.
          • There is an option to View as PDF, which anyone with access can select and then manually print or email to someone without access. - but this is true of anything that is supposed to be private.  There is an ethical expectation that we hope everyone would adhere to where this content is only shared with those who truly should see it.

I have no idea if this is helpful or not.

4 people found this helpful
          • Re: Documentation on private and secret groups?

adriannadinapoli, I'm not sure which version of Jive you're using, but here is one of our help topics from the Cloud Community Manager Help listed on docs.jivesoftware.com: Types of Groups. You can see that same topic in the 8.0 documentation as well. Just search the Help for "private group" (you'll see other topics listed as well that may also be of interest). Hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful