57 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 9:56 AM by Sarah O'Meara

Who is using the Events module?

tmaurer

I posted a similar question about the photo module. We wanted to check and see what the customer experience has been with these modules. We've had some interest in our internal community, and wondered whether this module would help us meet a perceived need. If you are using this module:

• Is it easy to use? Do your employees get it, or does it need to be taught?
      • Does it get used a lot? Are there specific ways it gets used (use cases)?
      • Does it cause issues when you upgrade from one version to the next (assuming you are on-prem or hosted)?
      • What is the admin experience like, if there is one?
      • Has Jive improved it over time, or has the functionality stayed roughly static?
      • Do you think it is a good value?

If you don't use the events module but perhaps have another solution, I'd be interested to know about that as well. Our issue is that our company doesn't have a single email instance/platform (we aren't even on the same version of Outlook), so no shared calendaring. We believe the ability to create events within the Jive platform would help with that frustration, especially where teams cross divisional boundaries and therefore can't share calendars.

• Re: Who is using the Events module?
          tburak

Hi Tracy - happy to chat - wouldn't recommend it at all -

Thanks

Tanya

1 person found this helpful
            smoghe

Same here. We've got the Events module disabled on our instance.

mcollinge

We use it on our externally-focussed site for publishing webinars, etc. It works well.. especially after customising it to integrate directly into WebEx (removing the need for the user to register on another site). I'm sure it's a totally different ballgame for Intranets where you're trying to arrange meetings.

jhoward

Hi Matt Collinge - you mentioned you have your events integrated with WebEx. Would you mind explaining how you achieved this? Did you work with WebEx, or someone at JIve? Sometimes our users think if they mark "Yes" they will be attending the event, they are registered. We use GoToMeeting, but I wonder if the process is similar. Thanks for any info you can share!

mcollinge

Hi Jessica Howard, our small(ish) dev team extended the Events plugin so that we can link an event to an online meeting provider.. which we have 2 we can talk to; Webex and Google Hangouts. The Webex integration is the more complex of the two; we wanted it to be as frictionless as possible for the user to sign up, and not require them to go off-site to enter all their details on webex.com.

What we do is get them to confirm their email address, then our code talks to the Webex API to register them as an attendee. This sequence of screenshots (taken some time ago when we were on Jive 4.5) shows you what the user sees;

The administrator of the event gets an extra menu item that allows them to link the event to an online event provider, e.g.

We migrated this customisation as we moved to Jive 6, then to Jive 8, and plan to do the same for Jive 9.

Webex (Cisco) has a nice API that allows you to integrate with them; Cisco DevNet: WebEx Conferencing - Developer Platform Overview

It looks like GotoMeeting (Citrix) have a similar API that would allow you to do the same kind of thing; Citrix GoTo Developer Center | APIs

Hope this helps,

Matt.

3 people found this helpful
                    Dennis Pearce

We didn't have it when we were hosted because it cost extra, but we got it as part of the package when we moved to the cloud so we turned it on.  We didn't make a big deal of it -- posted some training docs but didn't hold any classes or anything like that.  I think it's pretty easy for people to grasp the concept and those who use it like the ability to display events on the home page with a widget.  Of course everyone wishes it would integrate with their personal Google calendars, which it doesn't.  I've seen it used mostly for advertising events that are "open" (share sessions, lunch & learns, training classes) where there's not a set list of invitees to send a notice to through the traditional Google calendar method.

It's nice, but I don't think we would pay extra for it.

tburak

Hi Tracy - here are some of the downsides -

- inability to print a subscriber list with 'email' - (every single other field is exportable, but not email address, why - I haven't a clue!)

- time / date set to US standard - can't be changed

- time zone for posting - based on the person creating the event's time zone - not helpful if you are scheduling something somewhere else in the world

- add to calendar is based on the user's time zone - not the event time zone

- no reoccurring event functionality

- inability to share events across different groups / spaces, or to roll them up to see all

Tanya

4 people found this helpful
                          noelwhite

Hi Tanya,

In regards to,

inability to print a subscriber list with 'email' - (every single other field is exportable, but not email address, why - I haven't a clue!)

we had the exact same issue.  Events would run, and the coordinators would want a list of people to contact for feedback.  We could give a list, but not with an email.  We also have too many event coordinators here to support with a one-off solution, so I ended up writing an HTML Widget solution as a self-service portal.  If your instance has the ability to include JavaScript inside an HTML Widget, you can check out the Export widget here: UX Widgets

The Export widget utilizes the Jive APIs to get the list of event responders that answered "Yes" or "Maybe" to attending the event, looks up their information in Jive, and creates a CSV export list that you can copy and paste into Excel or whatever you need for post processing.  We have recently open sourced this in hopes that others in the community would find it (and others) useful in their communities.

thebryceswrite

Hey Tracy, we also use Events...and I second Tanya's comments about recurring events and some time zone quirks...some other notes:

• Typically they get it and use it pretty well when used. The RSVP and export attendee list features work well for us in various situations. I used it heavily in coordinating our TEDxLilly volunteer identification as well as registration for in-person attendees to the event since we had limited capacity. It's nice for any type of "first come first served" type needs.
                            • Somewhat. It's also used by folks to advertise local city events...not so much for the RSVP nature of it, but just to create an "Upcoming Events" view or Calendar within a group for things people may be interested in knowing about.
                          • Does it cause issues when you upgrade from one version to the next (assuming you are on-prem or hosted)?
                            • Not that I remember. maybe a few small bugs here and there. Most issues we've had with it have been around time zone. I think we even updated the email notification template for it to warn people about what time zone is listed on the event notification they get.
                            • Simple. Mostly system property oriented to customize the experience a little bit. Maybe 15-20 properties to configure.
                          • Has Jive improved it over time, or has the functionality stayed roughly static?
                            • There was a release 1-2 years ago that had a few key improvements (adding max capacity for example). Maybe some improved "Add to Calendar" stuff. But it hasn't fundamentally changed since 2012.
                            • Yes, it serves a need for us that sometimes regular Outlook calendaring or other functionality doesn't quite fit the bill for.

Thanks!

michaelwand

We are using the Event module for several years and it is really a pity that nothing really changed since 2012.

At the moment there is an internal demand for an automatically sync between scheduled Events in jive with MS Exchange (Outlook).

Has someone else this demand (or maybe set up a solution for this problem)?

ChrisD

We do use events, they are quite popular. My thoughts...

The learning curve is not that bad. Most people to get it pretty easily. The add to calendar function could be improved, in fact I'd rather that it was a default that if you RSVP'd, it would be added to your calendar. In general, we see a similar adoption pattern to most features in Jive.

Yes, definitely. Lots for sharing conferences, lunch and learns, key dates, meetings, vacation calendars in teams, social events, fundraiser opportunities. Have seen some others use it for any content that is time based, such as communicating planned system outages. We had one Group manage a series of 30 events for a big fundraiser initiative (Corporate Challenge, where companies from all over town compete in sporting events, in teams against each other) where sign up was done exclusively through the Events module. This brought a lot of new people to Jive, and we really had no reports of user issues. It went really well. Have another group that is using it to coordinate available parking spaces on certain dates (we have some strict policies on letting spaces go unused in one of our offices in London) which has been interesting too.

We are hosted. No real issues with upgrades. We've had a couple bugs here and there, around time zone settings, and one around the add to calendar link (quickly fixed with a backport at the time). Overall it's been good. We have one bug right now (fixed in Jive 8, appears to be there in 7.0.2.1 and 7.0.4), where users do not earn points for new Events created (no advanced gamification).

Really simple. Here's what you get:

Capture.PNG

Pretty static from our perspective.

Overall, yes. I think if we removed it now it would not be a popular move!

susan_rubio

We use it. It's pretty easy from a user and admin perspective.  As an admin you can edit the list of event types (webinar, meeting, party, etc.).

There is a bug where if you created the event and try to add it to your own Outlook calendar, you get an error.  The workaround is to assign a service-type mailbox to it. (Jive had to do this for us.)  At first they said it could be a bogus account; however, people were getting an undeliverable message and not knowing why.  We ended up linking it to our Jive instance service mailbox. I occasionally get meeting acceptance notes in there and I just delete them.

Events cannot be recurring. This is pretty big! I do a couple of weekly how-to sessions and I have to update the date each week.  If I don't, when people try to add it to their calendar, it thinks the meeting is in the past.

I got to sit down with Jive at our Bay Area User Group UnJiveWorld conference this month and participate in a upcoming products review and offer my opinion.  Events will eventually get some nice upgrades!

nick

Hello everyone! Thanks for this lively discussion. It's very timely as we're working on some event improvements this quarter for the 2016.1 release. One of the new features you can expect is color coded, configurable event types that are fully internationalized. We're also improving notification functionality so updates and improved ics files will be sent to all attendees when events are modified or deleted. A number of other issues around time zone concerns and formatting are being addressed. As we get closer to the release we'll be able to more clearly articulate these improvements.

On top of the improvements and issues being addressed, we are also planning a redesign of event objects and a new experience for browsing events. The new dedicated events page will list events by event date and enable filtering by event type, category, tag, and more. Here is a conceptual mockup of that experience, which will include both list and calendar view options.

event-browse.pngevent-m1.png

We we're really hoping to include recurring events in this quarter but it fell out of scope with the other items planned. It will remain on the roadmap as a high priority feature request.

We'll be posting more details about the 2016.1 release in a couple of weeks. Please keep the conversation going as we are actively monitoring this thread and prioritizing event improvements as we go.

5 people found this helpful
                                    Justin Pociask

Does anyone use Events for a company-wide, or central company calendar?  I would love to use our employee communications office, or HR office, to lead this effort, however, we aren't there yet.  Today, we use a document with tables (for each month) that anyone can edit and add a link to their center-wide event/announcement.  It would be great if we could use Events and get them to auto-populate/display events in one calendar in a space or on the overview page regardless of the location.  The problem we run into is some Events are in communities of practice and others are not.  I know they can live in individual documents as well as communities, however, we don't have one place folks can visit to see all that's happen' across the center. 

We currently use a tag to give all employees the ability to display their center-wide communications on the Overview page (also where "official employee comms" is located).   I'm trying to improve the look, usability and improve the process so any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

tburak

Hi Justin - we have an Events calendar, for each country we operate in.  We then use the 'Upcoming Events' widget to appear on each country homepage.

Unfortunately, there isn't just yet the ability to roll these up to a 'Global' calendar, but I believe it is coming soon.

XMaskuli

Best work around I've done rolling up events is to create a group and use the upcoming events widget. You can then point the widget at the Root Space community which will roll it up... You will also notice a lot of duplicate events if you don't offer good best practices on who is creating events.

triplettt

We roll up corporate events to display on our homepage by using an Events space where we create events that then link to the ones we want to appear on the homepage.  It requires manual entry and an extra click for users, but we can have event owners post their events with all their pertinent details in their event in their space/group, then our content manager controls which ones appear on our homepage.  We set the jump events to no attendees and do not allow comments, forcing users to go to the actual event in the space/group where it really lives.  This gives the true event owner full control, RSVP visibility and comments, but allows control of what appears on our homepage.

XMaskuli

Nice governance workaround, it gives a lot of control on what is displayed.

The biggest difficulty when scaling to a very large community IMHO is content management, so I tried to put as much onus on the users to make recommendations for events and articles that are displayed on the home page instead of hunting for good articles (Which could be a full time job).

triplettt

We have educated and set up ways for event owners to notify our content manager when they have an event they would like to be added to the homepage.  Our team also keeps an eye out, but it is working well for the event owners to point us to content. 

We use a similar approach for our news headlines.

We have adopted this approach so we have full control over the content that appears on our homepage.  We allow non-work-related social content on our instance, but we strive for our homepage to highlight the true work-related content.  This approach for events and news has resulted in our desired highlighting of the appropriate content on our homepage.

Dennis Pearce

We are getting ready to roll out a corporate-wide calendar for a specific use case.  We have a project under way to try to get employees to do more knowledge sharing via informal lunch & learns, share sessions, etc.  We're setting up a group where employees can post the time and location of their share session, categorized by broad topical areas.  We are also encouraging these sessions to be recorded via video or webex or whatever, so this group will also be the repository for those recorded sessions.

tmaurer

Wanted to make sure anyone following this thread saw my latest idea related to Events, Allow Minor Edit option for Events. We just started using Events this week now that we are on Cloud. I'm pretty pleased with the experience, but this one thing is a bit of a frustration. Also, the fact that the "add to calendar" option is a bit hidden. But definitely a better experience than what was originally described here, so I'm really pleased! Thanks, Nick Hill!

akoplen

Hi Tanya Burak and Tracy Maurer,

Curious if either of you know the answer to this question... with the events module, are you able to select which spaces/groups within a community can have the events module turned on? Or does it just have to be turned on or off for the entire community?

Thanks!

Alexis