8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 10:20 AM by Libby Taylor

Executive Customer Secret Group

meaghanwilkinson

Hi there,

I have an Executive Program that I am trying to launch within my community. Has anyone done this successfully? I am thinking it will be a secret group....

Any help would be appreciated!!

victoriafulton and I muddling our way through this together!

Thanks!

Meaghan

• Re: Executive Customer Secret Group
          Billy Volpone

Absolutely LOVE this use case Meaghan, glad your team is working on it. I personally often speak to this option when user groups as a model come up overall. Those general use groups almost always lead to more private/secret areas in which we might work more directly with champions/advocates or executives. So while I'd like some others doing this in practice to chime in, we at Jive and many others I've seen to very much embracing the CAB and EAB type groups.

1 person found this helpful
              meaghanwilkinson

Thanks Billy! We are doing CAB's as well- invite only based on technical ability and relationship. The Executive Group is something that besides having a calendar of events- we are struggling with engagement- so any help is appreciated! victoriafulton

1 person found this helpful
                  meaghanwilkinson

Hi Libby!

Thanks for this tip- yes, we have a calendar of events- and perhaps an exec blog. We are going to have to put more relevant content in there- I like the idea of having stuff there that forces them to GO THERE!! victoriafulton perhaps eliminating email updates and posting only in the community? Gasp- big step but may drive engagement

Libby Taylor

Unless the execs see the email updates as absolutely essential I wouldn't eliminate them.

Instead, you can use the email updates as teasers to draw them into the community content, like:

-----------------------------

Hey, we're doing great things on Project X. We've increased productivity by 35%! Want to see how we did it? Check this out in the community >link>.

-----------------------------

That way you are using email to your advantage by drawing people into the community. But if you think you don't have a 'must-have' use case, we can figure out ways to make it stronger. After all, that's what we do here.

Libby Taylor

WELL. Secret for executive, yes. But even more importantly, it needs to be essential. These dudes are busy, and that's busy with a capital B. So simply creating a secret group for them is not going to be super helpful. What you need to figure out is what can make the place essential to them. Is there a program for executives only where all of the program materials will reside only in that place? Is there an idea generation activity that only execs have access to where the ideas can only be submitted in that place? You see, when you make a Jive place essential to how work has to get done then you truly have a shot at getting people to adopt it. Something to think about.

2 people found this helpful
                      KirstenL

We had one sassy admin who said - "hey all, instead of sending me your presentations for the big senior exec meeting we have every quarter, you're going to post them to the community by 24 hours before the event."  That was a huge leap for adoption.  Anyone who sent her the presentation in an email, she would just upload it right away to the community and they were like AH! WHAT IF I NEEDED TO MAKE A CHANGE so they started posting themselves.  The one caveat is guest presenters - we are saving that for step 2; the plan is for them to upload privately to just the admin and she can move it into the secret group.

victoriafulton

Hey Libby Taylor - I totally agree.

I am still trying to work through the things that our customer execs would find "essential". This will be a big step for them - so I want to ensure we make an impression right away.

I am thinking of including things like:

• Content:
                          • Blogs
                          • Customer Executive of the Quarter
                          • Potentially a webinar every quarter with insight into topics like:
                            • Leadership
                            • Peer speakers
                            • Insights from our executives on plans for innovation, growth, etc.
                        • Account Insights:
                          • things that they would be interested in knowing in terms of status of their account, projects, etc.
                          • The account team and who they could reach out to about what

Would love to hear things that other people have done to ensure that their secret group is "essential" to executives. I definitely don't think that the above will be enough.

Libby Taylor

Some of the things I did at my last company...

• We had a company-wide innovation/idea jam and the only place where the executives could judge or vote on the ideas was in the community.
                            • You could move all of your executive communications out to employees/teams to your community (that can be a very tough thing to do, however).

In general, executives can be the hardest users to push adoption with. I'm sure other companies have gotten it down though, maybe some of our champions can chime in here. I'll share this conversation with that group.