16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 8:54 AM by tmaurer

How do you manage creation of new spaces?

tmaurer

I know from conversations with many of you that Jive customers have a variety of ways to deal with spaces:

1. Block space creation completely by hiding links to it (requires customization)
      2. Block space creation, but allow users to request spaces and then admin sets them up (requires customization)
      3. Monitor space creation, and then counsel people to help them conform to desired standards
      4. Free for all

We had a flavor of #2 (we also have blocked access to the admin console because we had a permission nightmare during an earlier upgrade). But as we move toward zero customization so that we can ultimately move to Cloud, we ditched this customization for our recent upgrade to Jive 8.

On our first day on the new platform, we've had at least one new space created and so the question came up about best practices here. How do other Jive customers manage this? I still personally think there should be a way to set a permission so that only system admins can create new spaces, but until/unless Jive makes that change, I'm curious to know how other customers deal with this. I'm hoping we can find some advice to ease our transition.

• Re: How do you manage creation of new spaces?
          Dennis Pearce

We do #2.  Only system admins can create spaces, private and secret groups.

We created a Google request form and embedded it into a Jive doc.  When a user fills it out, it gets saved as a record in a Google spreadsheet and we get a notification.  We have never said outright "no" to any request, but we do check some things:

• Does this look like a duplication of something that already exists?  If so, we put the requester in touch with the owner of that place to see if they can work things out.  If they both agree that they meet different needs, then we create it.
          • If a space, does it look like it really should be a subspace under an existing space rather than a new top-level space?  If so, we go through the same process as above.
          • Jive Anywhere now makes it easy to move emails to Jive as discussions, and even before that we wrote our own Gmail connector to move emails over as documents.  So we ask that there be at least 3 members for groups (and to name them) just to be sure someone is not asking for a secret group to use a a personal email archive.

The data we ask for in the form are:

• Type (space, private group, secret group)
          • Name of place
          • Who is to be Admin(s)
          • Additional members
          • Brief description and business justification
          • Content types they want enabled (some people don't know how to do this initially)
          • Any external tools being replaced (allows us to follow up and see if some other repository (eRoom, Google Drive or Site, etc.) is being eliminated
          • "Did you verify that no other Spaces/Groups with this topic already exist?"  We still check this ourselves, because they might be restricted from view by the requester.  But at least it makes them think about this before they submit their request.

Having the requests in a Google sheet is nice because we can add comments about the resolution and track some metrics.  So for instance by having this form in place, we know that we average diverting about a third of our requests per year into existing places rather than creating new ones.

2 people found this helpful
              tmaurer

Now that you are on Cloud, how do keep people from seeing the link to create a space? Am I missing something?

I see from this continued popular idea, Permissions & Permission Groups - More Granularity, that I'm not alone in wishing for this.

Megan Truett

Tracy - do all of your users have the capability to create a space anywhere in the community? Or are you more concerned with people creating subspaces once they have admin rights to just their space? In 95% of the communities I work in, we only give Manage Community rights to select global admins.

For requesting a space, we often use a forms widget we created with the HTML widget. You create a form that people fill out right there and submit. It then creates a document (in that same place or in a restricted space/group). Works really well.

tmaurer

Yes, I'm talking about sub-spaces. We do have a form for people, but since space admins can click Create and see "Space" as an option now, they are abandoning the process we've spent years teaching them.

tburak

Hi all,

My dilemma is when we give space owners full rights, to allow them to manage their overview page and content. They then see the subspace option, and use it to create subspaces, rather than using categories.

What is even more frustrating is that we typically find out about this second hand, or when something goes wrong, and we need to then tell the owner the time and effort they spent setting up the space is in vain.

I would like system admins to receive an alert when a new subspace or group is created, that way, we can get them on the right path for a start.

I would also like an alert when a space or group owner leaves the business, so we can reassign to another owner and provide training.

Lastly, I'd like to disable subspace creation all together.

Tx

Sent from my iPhone

Dennis Pearce

Unfortunately there's no way to do this that I'm aware of.  You are right that it should be hidden the same way they do private and secret groups. 

The root space is grayed out as an option for all users except system admins, so there's no possibility of anyone else creating a top-level space.  And if a user who is not already a space admin clicks on the link, they'll get a list of spaces but they're all grayed out so they can't create anything.  Space admins can only create spaces under the spaces they are admins of.

So a lot of it seems superfluous.  Regular users don't need to see it because they can't do anything with it.  And space admins already have the ability to create subspaces from the Manage menu of the spaces they own (which is the more logical place to do it anyway) so they don't really need this link either.

Helen Chen

I encourage my community to create new places thoughtfully.  I provide guidance as to criterion for new places and how to. That said, I do audit and dead places get deleted. I let my champions know that this is best practice.  I use Inbox / Your View with a superlist tile for new places.  I eyeball frequently for new places and check in when I see stuff created.

fwiw, I also have superlist tiles in Your view for Places / Oldest activity and People / Date joined to help me monitor my community regularly.  

1 person found this helpful