4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 5:19 PM by socketz

Anyone know how to email the members in your community?

arianac

I know we can message people in the Jive platform, but is there any way we can message directly to people's email address so our messages show up in their email inbox? I think there's a way you can do that if the members are in a group, but I want to email everyone in the community.

• Re: Anyone know how to email the members in your community?
          jkurutz

Hi Ariana,

For a short message, you can create an Announcement and select "Send Inbox notifications". This will at least send an email to everyone who has set their Inbox to send them emails. Some users turn that setting off, and they would only get an Inbox notice, not an email.

Announcements like this are best kept quite short. If you have a message that's longer than a simple system announcement like "the site will be down for maintenance at xx:00"", you may wish to consider creating an accessible Document with full details, and send a short message with a link to that Document.

Good luck! - Josh

1 person found this helpful
              socketz

Josh Kurutz

"For a short message, you can create an Announcement and select "Send Inbox notifications". This will at least send an email to everyone who has set their Inbox to send them emails. Some users turn that setting off, and they would only get an Inbox notice, not an email."

Which preference setting are you referring to specifically (see below).  I have tried this in the past with announcements and emails are not sent. Perhaps this applies specifically to Cloud vs. Hosted?

josh.png

jkurutz

Hi Michael,

No, I don't think it's a Cloud/Hosted thing. I did this occasionally on our Jive 6 Hosted instance, and it seemed to work OK. I see similar options in the prefs for our new cloud instance. I can't quite tell which of these Inbox items you'd need to turn off to stop announcements.

See item 8 of the (Cloud) help doc on system announcements: Core Help 
                  "Decide whether to send a notification about the announcement by selecting or clearing the Send Inbox notifications check box. Users who have their Inbox set to provide email notifications (this is the default setting) will receive an email as well as seeing the announcement displayed in Activity pages."

Backup up a little, here's a small screenshot of the checkbox in the announcement editor, accessed by pulling your personal icon menu in the upper left down to "System Announcements"

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 7.06.44 PM.png

Hope this helps. - Josh

socketz

I've seen that little "Send Inbox Notifications" box when creating announcements, but when I check it, no emails are sent?

Just wondering if anyone else uses this feature and has gotten it to work.

The use case would be if say we update a datasheet or a piece of software, we could create an announcement and notify all users by checking this box (if their preferences are setup correctly).

At this point, I'm just trying to figure out which box in the preferences needs to be checked.

Thanks for your help Josh.

Megan Truett